Author Topic: Portable Live Performance Arranger Keyboard to support CVP-809  (Read 1944 times)

Offline chadsolo

Portable Live Performance Arranger Keyboard to support CVP-809
« on: December 11, 2020, 07:23:28 PM »
Hi

I have just bought a CVP-809 (unfortunately I havent unboxed it yet as I am moving house). Looking forward, I am looking for a portable "companion" keyboard. I imagine a solution where I can practiice/play/create on the CVP-809 and transfer the styles to another portable keyboard with a more or less faithful reproduction. This may be an unattainable dream but I cannot ascertain that from what I have read of portable alternatives at the moment.

Beside playing at home I like to gig around a bit and up until now I have solely been using a Roland weighted piano setup with a separate "Style Box" a BK7M . I have style conversion software (EMC Styleworks) that I used previously for style editing rather than conversions . I have just started to try converting the Yamaha SFF2 files from the CVP-809 to Roland formatwith Styleworks but the results are not very good and it looks like I could spend an eternity trying to tweak issues in the conversion progress to make it sound right on the Roland unit.

I am hoping there is a Yamaha solution that minimizes the amount of work needed to utilize the styles exported  from the CVP -809 .

I would also like it to be

-weighted action
-88 notes
-Preferably but not essentially with onboard speakers

A dream would be a style playing box like my Roland BK7m that attaches by midi to any weighted action keyboard l but that doesn't seem to exist in the Yamaha universe.

Any suggestions advice would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 12:28:13 AM by chadsolo »

Offline Toril S

Re: Portable Live Performance Arranger Keyboard to support CVP-805
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 07:38:35 PM »
I have a Genos, and it plays the 809 styles flawlessly. No onboard speakers, but is has 88 keys, sllthough not weighted. It is light and portable too.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: chadsolo

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 07:50:26 PM »
I have a Genos, and it plays the 809 styles flawlessly. No onboard speakers, but is has 88 keys, sllthough not weighted. It is light and portable too.

Genos has 76 keys, not 88.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 08:09:16 PM »
Sorry Fred, my mistake!!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 08:36:49 PM »
Instead of a style box why not get a cheaper Yamaha arranger, maybe used, then put all the CVP styles on a usb stick and midi the arranger to the Roland piano. Then you can seamlessly play all the cvp styles. Since you are playing the Roland the number of keys or whether weighted or not on the arranger don’t matter.
Mike

Offline chadsolo

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 08:54:02 PM »
Thanks to all

mikf ,  that sounds feasible ( I would need a new keyboard rack I guess :-)) .

I am assuming the arranger would be one that plays SFF2 files?
Also I am also guessing that a cheaper arranger would not have the same voicings/sounds as the CVP-805 so I would probably have to do some adjusting at the arranger end?

Thanks

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 09:48:19 PM »
Yes, you might have a bit of style adjusting. I am not sure about the SFF2 capability, but think that all the reasonably recent Yamaha arrangers of psr level or above would be OK. You can often buy a second tier for an existing rack at reasonable cost.
mike