Author Topic: Yamaha gives us one last parting gift for the Genos? - FREE expansion packs  (Read 4871 times)

keynote

Good day ladies and gentlemen. Okay let's talk turkey. The Genos current OS software update is 2.02 obviously and I think that may be it folks. I think the reason Yamaha provided all of these free expansion packs is because the OS updates for the Genos have reached their limit in my opinion. Yamaha is undoubtedly working on the Genos 2 or possibly even a new concept arranger keyboard yet to be named. Whatever the case may be something is cooking in the oven and we'll likely see the end product probably in early 2022 or thereabouts. So I think the free expansion packs is Yamaha's way of saying: turn out the lights the party is over, so to speak, regarding any further software support for the Genos. Of course the Genos is a fantastically wonderful, magnanimous arranger workstation keyboard like nothing else on the planet currently. So really the party is NOT over regarding the hardware side of things which allows people to continue to take advantage of all the Genos has to offer regardless of when a Genos 2 hits the stores shelves. BTW, I just recently downloaded a variety of free expansion packs and they are great from what I've heard so far. Anyway, I just thought I'd share my thoughts about the subject at hand and I'd also like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. In the meantime I uploaded a recording I made on my Genos to Box.com. It's called Fun, Fun, Fun by the Beach Boys... in the dead of winter. ;D Oh well, bad timing but nevertheless fun, fun fun.  8)

All the instruments are from the Genos but the vocals are by the band members themselves. If you've listened to the original studio recording by the Beach Boys back in the 60's, this version I'm posting now stands out in my opinion as a more polished version in terms of the sound quality itself. Without further ado... Fun, Fun, Fun

All the best,

Mike

Offline Gunnar Jonny

...The Genos current OS software update is 2.02 obviously and I think that may be it folks. I think the reason Yamaha provided all of these free expansion packs is because the OS updates for the Genos have reached their limit in my opinion. .... So I think the free expansion packs is Yamaha's way of saying: turn out the lights the party is over, so to speak, regarding any further software support for the Genos. ....

Time will tell, but regarding the 'give away' addonpacks, I think Yamaha have notised what Korg do. Korg has given the users free stylepacs for the PA series for a long time, and still does. Now it's at pack 42. 😊
Also I think we will see more OS updates, but maybe not any much more than bugfixes and minor changes. Who knows, maybe StClaus will bring something new up from the sleewe? 🎅
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline DerekA

Perhaps they just were not making any money from them any more, and decided to be generous. They were very expensive.
Genos

Offline Fred Smith

Perhaps they just were not making any money from them any more, and decided to be generous. They were very expensive.

They think they will sell more keyboards when expansion packs are free. They make more money on the sale of a keyboard than an expansion pack.

As to predictions, mine are that we will see more feature updates (more than one), and we won't see a Genos 2 until 2023.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline DrakeM

If Yamaha is planning to completely REDO their Operating System in such a way that the CURRENT styles will not work in their future models, I will be purchasing 3 of their latest SX9xx (the next day). I don't think I will out live 3 more keyboards. And there is no way I am chucking my custom styles.

Regards
Drake

« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 09:58:34 PM by DrakeM »

Offline Toril S

Agree with Drake. In that case I am glad I kept sll my keyboards!!!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 07:01:11 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline EileenL

I very much doubt that will ever happen Drake. Part of Yamaha's policy as always been that styles are always compatible with older Yamaha models. Can' see them shooting them selves in the foot by changing things.

Offline Toril S

I hope you are right Eileen!!!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline vlbrgt

Part of Yamaha's policy as always been that styles are always compatible with older Yamaha models.
I think it should be :
Old styles are compatible with newer keyboards, but new styles are not always compatible with older keyboards.

Regards
Etienne
If plan A doesn't work, don't forget that the alphabet has 25 more letters.
Volbragte@telenet.be
http://Psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html
Genos

keynote

As to predictions, mine are that we will see more feature updates (more than one), and we won't see a Genos 2 until 2023.

Cheers,
Fred

As far as feature updates I hope you are right Fred. If Yamaha waits until 2023 though (before releasing the Genos 2) it will have been 6 1/2 to 7 years since the release of Genos 1. That's a long time considering Yamaha usually released new models every three years or thereabouts. Cheers.

All the best,

Mike

Offline rbackes

Re: Yamaha gives us one last parting gift for the Genos? - FREE expansion packs
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 09:06:39 AM »
Hi,

here are my 2 Cents on this:

With GENOS, Yamaha already started a new line of keyboards. They moved to Linux as the OS of the main processor and to a new generation of sound chips. Important changes to the UI also happened.

Looking back, you could compare Genos to Tyros1, the grandfather of a new line. So a new Arranger-Keyboard will (hopefully) bring long awaited improvements (maybe USB-Sound, more Expansion Memory, Hardware Switches for Chord Looper etc.), but will not differ so much from Genos(1) as Genos from Tyros.

For the Expansion Packs, I would argree, that it was (1) pressure from the market and (2) they don't earn so much from selling them.

Rainer

Offline trebor1950

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2020, 11:34:06 AM »
Hi..
I've lost some of my Expansion Packs re Win10 Crash - And for the life of me I cant find the Yamaha web page where you all are referring to-re free packs.......I'm UK based, if that makes a difference.

Thanks...Rob

Offline overover

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2020, 12:02:36 PM »
... I've lost some of my Expansion Packs re Win10 Crash - And for the life of me I cant find the Yamaha web page where you all are referring to-re free packs.......I'm UK based, if that makes a difference.

Thanks...Rob

https://shop.usa.yamaha.com/downloadables-world. :)

Go to "Downloadables", then click on "Premium Packs & Voices" for Genos or Tyros5 Packs, or click on "Voice & Style Expansion Packs" for PSR-S or PSR-SX Packs.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline dh110953

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2020, 03:06:58 PM »
Free expansion packs seems great news :) :) :).  but I am unable to fine any link that gives the option to Download -

I have ordered an actual copy from the link below and received order acknowledgement - but as this is showing as shipping from USA and I'm in UK I not holding my breath to see if these expansion pack actually arrive.  Seems to good to be true !!

Does anyone have a link to the download version for the Genos ?

Thanks in anticipation...

David 
Now have a CVP 809 as my wife plays Piano but not Keyboard - I had to PX a Genos to buy it, Also have an SX700 - I did previously own a Tyros.

Offline overover

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2020, 04:10:02 PM »
Hi David,

you can "forget" the order acknowledgement (received by email). ;)

As mentioned many times here on the forum, just click on "Library" when you are logged into your account on the Yamaha shop site. Then you will see all Packs you ordered before, and you can click the individual download links here. (See also the attached picture.)

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: dh110953

Offline dh110953

Thank you Chris. Your reply was very helpful and I have now managed to download.  :)
Now have a CVP 809 as my wife plays Piano but not Keyboard - I had to PX a Genos to buy it, Also have an SX700 - I did previously own a Tyros.