Author Topic: Problems with steinberg usb driver in PSR SX-900  (Read 3227 times)

Problems with steinberg usb driver in PSR SX-900
« on: December 09, 2020, 10:49:47 AM »
Coming from a Yamaha PSR E-463 where I could connect the Steinberg USB Driver well, I can't get it to connect to my new PSR SX-900 because I need it to use it as audio in Presonus Studio One. Before, with the PSR E-463 keyboard I didn't have no problem but now with this new keyboard when I install the Steinberg USB driver when loading the control panel it appears as invisible ASIO without being able to select it. I can't even load it onto the DAW. I hope someone is kind to give me a solution to this problem. A greeting!!!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 11:46:31 AM by Luis_Van_Gogh »

Offline ckobu

Re: Problems with steinberg usb driver in PSR SX-900
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 12:21:18 PM »
The PSR SX-900 does not have an audio interface and the Drivers you used for the PSR463 will not use you. You need to install a USB-MIDI driver to connect the SX to your computer.

https://youtu.be/U9yOmmYcxxw
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: Luis_Van_Gogh

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 12:27:43 PM »
Thanks for your answer. I already have the USB-MIDI driver installed. I find it incredible that a keyboard of this price range does not carry it and a Yamaha PSR E-463 if it does, I do not understand. So to extract the audio directly, do I have to connect 2 audio jacks to the back of the keyboard and a stereo minijack to the pc to avoid having to acquire an external usb audio interface?

Offline ckobu

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 12:40:54 PM »
A lot of things are weird. My Genos doesn't have an Audio interface either, and my old Technics KN7000 had it 20 years ago.
Yes, you will have to connect the keyboard as you described to get what was normal at 463. BTW, the new SX600 now finally has that capability.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 12:46:47 PM by ckobu »
Watch my video channel

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 12:51:58 PM »
Hi Luis,

Tyros 1 - 5, Genos, all PSR-S and PSR-SX900/700 have no integrated USB audio interface, we have to live with that.

If the recording quality of your PC sound card is sufficient for you and you have no problems with hum / noise, you can of course simply connect the main out sockets of the SX900 to the line input of the PC (usually mini stereo jack socket). Please be aware, however, that the A/D (analog/digital) Converter of the PC sound chip is used, so that the recording quality will be average in the best case.

I recommend using a good, external audio interface. So you have a very good recording quality. In contrast to the internal audio interfaces of keyboards, which mostly work with 44.1 kHz / 16-bit, you can also work with an external interface with 96 or 192 kHz sampling frequency and 24-bit (or even 32-bit) resolution. For (semi-) professional applications, I consider a resolution of at least 24-bit to be essential.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 12:58:22 PM »
I just sent an email exposing the case to Yamaha, they have asked me for my phone number to call me. I have no other solution than to purchase a cable with 2 1/4" mono jacks to usb connector that there are also. I have been investigating and I have seen that in the latest updates of Steinberg USB Driver, Yamaha are supported for the first time in the synth Yamaha MONTAGE. This makes me think that maybe the Yamaha PSR SX-900 has the built-in audio interface but maybe in a future update of the Steinberg USB Driver it will support it. Anyway, I will ask Yamaha when he calls me by phone. Possibly the absence of an audio interface is to save product costs. Anyway, thanks for your help, it has helped me a lot and I am going to put a cable as I said before. Thank you !!!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 01:03:04 PM by Luis_Van_Gogh »

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 01:12:56 PM »
With 96khz the human ear is hardly able to differentiate that extra quality of sound so with 44 khz I suppose they are enough for sound quality, right? or am I wrong?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 01:14:14 PM by Luis_Van_Gogh »

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 01:55:15 PM »
With 96khz the human ear is hardly able to differentiate that extra quality of sound so with 44 khz I suppose they are enough for sound quality, right? or am I wrong?

Hi Luis,

the highest audio frequency that can be processed is around half the sampling frequency. At 44.1 and 48 kHz these are about 22 and 24 kHz. This is ready above the human hearing range. In principle 44.1 or 48 kHz are sufficient. But in the (semi-) professional area, 96 kHz is often used. Normally, it's not just about simple recording and playback, but the digital audio data should also be processed and mixed.

However, I consider the recording resolution to be much more important than the sampling frequency, i.e. the maximum number of "steps" that a digital value can assume during recording. A 24-bit recording is clearly superior to a 16-bit recording (of course also at 44.1 kHz sampling frequency).

A "USB audio cable" (2 * 6.3 mm mono jack plugs to USB type A plug) is also an external audio interface (only that the A/D converter electronics are built into the USB connector). These simple "audio interface cables" mostly work with 44.1 kHz / 16-bit. However, it is not only a matter of these technical values, but above all of the quality of the A/D converter. This is decisive as to how the signal converted from analog to digital "sounds" later.

Such an "audio interface cable" can be sufficient for simple applications, but I still recommend a "real" audio interface, which is now available in good quality and very inexpensive (around 50 and 150 euros).

P.S.
The SX900 has an internal Audio Recorder. After recording connect the USB stick to the computer and copy the wav files. (You can also record directly to MP3 format, but if the recording is to be edited later on the computer, it should be recorded in wav format.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 02:08:38 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 02:41:55 PM »
    Is this enough?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 02:43:48 PM by Luis_Van_Gogh »

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2020, 05:04:50 PM »
Yes, the PreSonus Audiobox USB96 would be enough.

However, this model does not have level meters. You could also take a look at the slightly more expensive PreSonus Studio 24c. Here is a list of relatively inexpensive models from the manufacturers PreSonus, Steinberg and Focusrite:
>>> https://www.thomann.de/gb/usb_audio_interfaces.html?price-first=80&price-last=185&oa=pra&filter=true&manufacturer%5B%5D=Steinberg&manufacturer%5B%5D=Presonus&manufacturer%5B%5D=Focusrite&feature-51912-first=2&feature-51912-last=16&feature-53833-first=0&feature-53833-last=32

There are of course hardly any upper limits in terms of price and performance.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 05:06:22 PM by overover »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 10:21:37 PM »
I have a Fucusrite Scarlett audio interface that I am very satisfied with.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2020, 07:21:25 AM »
In the end I got this.   
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 07:24:22 AM by Luis_Van_Gogh »

Offline overover

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2020, 09:21:31 AM »
In the end I got this. [Image]

Thanks for your feedback, Luis!

The Presonus Studio 26c is perfect! :)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 09:22:50 AM by overover »

The following users thanked this post: JoePana, Luis_Van_Gogh