Author Topic: Setting volumes  (Read 2390 times)

Offline adrianed

Setting volumes
« on: December 08, 2020, 09:19:46 PM »
Hi folks,
I read on Facebook today the suggestion that we should set right hand settings centered at 64 being as that is centre of the zero to 127 volume positions
If we use 64 as centre we can adjust individual volumes up or down, thus allowing For space to increase the volume up on weaker instruments and equally down on the strong instruments
Looking for comments about this
Perhaps suggestions how less knowledgeable player like myself can change their 500 plus registrations to make them sound better
Adrian
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 01:46:52 AM by adrianed »

Offline Graham UK

Re: Setting volumes
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 09:49:05 PM »
Adrianed. Yamaha Right melody volumes default at 100, although a number of 3rd party styles have Right Hand poorly set at max 127 which is bad.
If they feel the need for RH to be 127 it is better to reduce the Style volumes instead.
My T5-76 Most of my RH volumes I have at about 110, but Acoustic Guitars 120. Strings 80-90.
If RH Volumes are still not loud enough then I reduce Style Part volumes.
The output sound quality from keyboards is also very dependent on EQ & CMP settings.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 09:51:01 PM by Graham UK »
DGX670

The following users thanked this post: adrianed

Offline adrianed

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 01:54:24 AM »
Thankyou Graham
Thanks for your help, previously I have always left those settings as they happen to be but I have often not liked the sound of my registrations, perhaps I might have found a solution by resetting the separate volumes
Adrian

Cosmorot

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 11:40:30 AM »
Hello! I think that the loudness standard within the synthesizer will not be relevant. Because different voices have different volumes. And I don't mean density (!).
I also disagree with the volume balance of the inside styles and right-hand voices. Yamaha has another bad feature - it hides the voice under the reverb, although the T5's sounds are already capable of sounding WITHOUT decorations.
I always mix sounds in my own way. Of course, if this does not apply to live performance. I separate the tracks as much as possible during recording and mix the audio data. In this case, the result is stunning.

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 09:39:48 PM »
I have used this same volume setting for years as this is how I have setup all my Custom song styles to work. I have mentioned that is how I get the nice vocal balance in all my recordings that I post here. I never mix any of my vocal and keyboard recordings. You don't need to if you use the setting of 70 for Style Volume and 100 for the Mic. You have to reduce the OTS volume down as well, to about 65 - 50, depending if you are playing behind your vocals or if you are playing a Lead instrumental section.

In fact if you intend to use a microphone and the keyboard's VH2, I don't think you can get your voice to the proper balance to the style that is playing with the Style set at Volume 100.

Regards
Drake

Offline adrianed

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 01:58:25 AM »
Hi Drake,
Thankyou for your input about volumes
I don't sing so I have never used a mike with the keyboard but it is helpful to read your points
Adrian