Author Topic: New SX900 owner keeping fingers crossed  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Jeff_M

New SX900 owner keeping fingers crossed
« on: December 07, 2020, 12:40:27 PM »
Greetings all, after owning an S710 and then an S950 I decided to make the move to the SX900, which is due to arrive today.  I considered the Korg PA 1000 and even the PA4x (which didn't make the cut due to lack of internal speakers a la Genos) but went for the SX900 because (1) I'd be more familiar with its operating system, and (2) after watching all the videos I gave a slight edge in sound quality to the SX.  I originally was an organ player (Yamaha FX20 was one of their finer efforts IMHO) but went the keyboard route strictly for portability reasons.  The S710 was good, the S950 has been great, and I have even higher expectations for the SX900.  Unfortunately, the local music store where I bought the the two S's no longer carries these keyboards in stock so I wasn't able to try out the SX before purchase (which is somewhat of a concern) and therefore went the Sweetwater route because the nearest dealer stocking an SX was over 200 miles away.  I of course will use it at home and will gig with a Stagepas 600 which I bought last year (but then along came covid so it hasn't seen much use).  My biggest concern is importing over 200 of my own Music Finder songs from the S950 to the SX, which I understand has a different system altogether for song storage (Playlist?).  If I can't import them, I guess I'll have a nice little winter project.  :-)   

Offline J. Larry

Re: New SX900 owner keeping fingers crossed
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 03:42:30 PM »
Jeff:
Like you, I bought the SX 900 blindly.  No place within distance to try one out.  But, it’s turned out to be a gold mine for recording and home use.  And, it helps to have owned earlier Yamaha models, which I’ve had several.  I had a brief fling with the Korg PA 1000.  What a disaster!  Never could figure anything out on it.  Chunked it pronto.  I’ve flirted with the Genos, somewhat; however the SX 900 with it’s size, weight, built-in speakers, and price makes it perfect for my uses.  Maybe, you’ll find that to be true, as well. 

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 04:26:20 PM »
Jeff, congrats! You will be very happy with the sx900! Remember to stop keeping your fingers crossed, or you will not be able to play😀😀🌲🌲
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 05:21:04 PM »
Hi Jeff,
  You will easily be able to convert your MF files to Playlist for use on the SX900. You will also have the added function of being able to registrations to them.

Offline Jeff_M

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 05:28:12 PM »
Hi Jeff,
  You will easily be able to convert your MF files to Playlist for use on the SX900. You will also have the added function of being able to registrations to them.

Eileen, that is tremendous relief.  All I gotta do is figure out how to do it.  :-)

Offline dtah80

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 06:31:15 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Here is a link that shows how to do it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF6ckJeQyIE
Also, download the Ref. manual for the SX900 from here, https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/downloads.html

In the ref. manual, in the Playlist section (p.91), there are instructions on how to import music finder records to playlist.

Congratulations, have fun playing & discovering your SX900.

David
David
Genos, PSR-740, MOXF6