Author Topic: Headphone stops Midi Output to Computer  (Read 2609 times)

dqninh

Headphone stops Midi Output to Computer
« on: December 06, 2020, 05:21:13 PM »
Hi All,

I connect my sx900 to my computer using the USB A-B cable. I use Audacity software to record my playing.  Here are the two issues that I could not resolve.

1. The computer microphone picks up external noise in the room.  If I disable the microphone, the output is also disable, Audacity cannot record. 

2. If I use the headphone (Yamaha headphone with mic), the output to the usb midi port is also disable, Audacity cannot record.

Does anyone have the same problem that I am having?  Does anyone know how to trouble shoot the above two issues?

Many thanks.

Offline overover

Re: Headphone stops Midi Output to Computer
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 08:09:36 PM »
Hi dqninh,

this will never work because:

The SX900 has no built-in USB Audio interface. The USB-to-Host connection to a computer can only used for MIDI-over-USB. ("Audacity" cannot record MIDI but only Audio.)

The easiest way to make an Audio recording is to use the SX900's internal Audio recorder. You can then connect the USB stick on which the recording was saved to the computer to further edit the Audio recording.

If you want to make the Audio recording on the computer (e.g. in a program like "Audacity" or in a DAW), you have to connect the Audio outputs of the SX900 (Main Out L and R) to the computer (preferably via an external USB Audio interface). Alternatively, you could connect the audio outputs of the SX900 directly to the line input of the computer (with an appropriate cable "2 * 6.3 mm mono (TS) plugs to 3.5 mm stereo (mini TRS) plug". The latter can, however, lead to sound problems (e.g. hum / noise / distortion / poor frequency response). It is generally recommended to use an external Audio interface.

P.S.
It is recommended to first record your playing on the SX900 as a MIDI file. This can then be edited if necessary. Then you let play the MIDI file while recording it as an Audio. (If you want, you can also sing along with it at this time.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 08:22:59 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: FWIDGY, bhergar56

Offline andyg

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 09:17:20 AM »
As an alternative to a USB audio interface, it is possible to buy an 'audio to USB' cable. 2 x 1/4" jack plugs at one end plug into the keyboard. The USB plug at the other end goes into to the computer. Audacity will let you select that input and you can record in perfect fidelity. Works a treat, I've made several recordings that way.

Of course, you could just plug a USB stick into the keyboard and record direct to that. Then take the stick to the computer, copy it across and use Audacity for the usual post recording processes, like trimming start and end points, normalisation etc.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

The following users thanked this post: bhergar56

Offline FWIDGY

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 02:30:55 PM »
Hi Folks, Happy New Year from Torquay where we have 5 very large cruise liners in the bay.
Using my new PSR SX900 I want an audio recording of me playing in .wav or mp3 format.
I am getting a very  poor result using the keyboard's internal audio recording feature, both of distortion and the sound wobbling at start etc.

I have tried recording and saving to my USB stick and to the Yamaha (user)  internal drive.
I have also tried saving in the various .mp3 formats and .wav format.
Has anyone else having this problem? or any suggestions.

The  keyboard's internal midi recorder works fine, I can produce a midi file.

Regards

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 05:15:11 PM »
Try to reduce the volume of your recording to 70. Set the master volume of the keyboard to 12 o’clock. If the recording now is fine, but not loud enough, adjust the volume and normalize in Audacity.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: FWIDGY

Lucille Chung

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 06:05:45 PM »
Hi dqninh,

I tried going that route originally.    I also use Audacity.    I even disabled the onboard computer mic the same as you tried.    In the end it just made more sense to get a mixer and save the output of the PSR to the mixer.      Depending on the mixer file format, you can pull the files over to Audacity and work with them there.    It works well.      FWIW, I use a QSC TouchMix30, and am very happy with it.     I use Audacity on linux, but it should work on any platform the same way.

Offline FWIDGY

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 02:30:10 PM »
Hi Guys, Thanks for your comments.
I have managed to record directly on both .wav  and .mp3 highest quality without causing distortion on my SX900 recording facility.

I found the by reducing the volume levels in the mixer panel worked. I reduced the levels on some of the "Panel" sliders to 80%, and I think these % values are saved when saving the registrations.

Per Toril S's suggestion, I can't see how reducing the "Master Volume" round black knob would work as surely this only affects output volume? Maybe I'm wrong?

The suggestion by OVEROVER works well, but of course is a 2 step process and I assume doesn't work if say you have a mic or line audio input.