Author Topic: Importing vocal tracks  (Read 2518 times)

alec_in_france

Importing vocal tracks
« on: December 02, 2020, 10:36:11 AM »
Bonjour from France,

During the lockdown, singer Alex and I have been working remotely - I record backing tracks on the Genos, she records a vocal track, then we combine them using Audacity.

It works after a fashion but we are missing the superb effects and processing facilities - including vocal harmony as well as reverb, chorus etc. on the Genos.

My question: is it possible to import a vocal track (as .wav or mp3) into the Genos, then apply effects as if it was a live mike input?

If so, I would be very grateful for any tips!

Best wishes from the chilly Southwest

Alec

Offline ckobu

Re: Importing vocal tracks
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 01:50:44 PM »
Hi Alec,
You can do it this way.
1. Insert the Basic Vocals to Song Player A
2. Set the Line Out as shown in picture 1.
3. Connect the cable as shown in picture 2.
4. Set the effect to microphone
5. MIC GAIN set to MIN
6. Turn on Audio Quick Recording
7. Press Play on recording and play on Song A

Regards, ckobu

[attachment deleted by admin]

alec_in_france

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 03:30:37 PM »
Great - many thanks!

I'll give it a try and report back.

alec_in_france

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 09:49:28 AM »
Hi ckobu,

Finally got round to testing your suggestion - excellent, it works very well. The 'Genosed' vocal track sounds (in singer Alex's words) 100X better.

Even vocal harmony works OK if I play the chords while (re-)recording, of course with the keyboard volume turned right down.

I normally record backing tracks as audio rather than midi, to be able to send them to the vocalist. Direct mixing on the Genos is therefore not possible: Audacity is still needed to combine the backing with the vocals.

However, the next step is to try recording a MIDI backing track to see how easy (or hard) it is to synchronise with the audio vocal track. I suspect that some nifty finger work on the PLAY buttons will be required. Maybe I'll open a new post to see if there are any ideas.

Many thanks again for the tips and for the trouble you took to prepare the diagrams.

Best,

Alec

Offline DerekA

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 11:06:11 AM »
Remember Genos does have inbuilt twin-track audio recording which lets you record a main track and a sub track, then merge them (with volume balance). You'd still possibly have to be nimble with the Play button.
Genos

Offline ckobu

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 12:13:06 PM »
Hi Alec,

I'm glad it worked.
I understand the problems you have with syncing two audio tracks, background + vocals.
Audacity is good, but still limited to what you need. I plan to make an educational video soon to help you sync the two sounds. This will apply to the preparation of video material, but the same principle applies to audio content. Follow my channel (link in signature) and I will make a video soon to help you.

regards, ckobu
Watch my video channel

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 08:28:58 PM »
Alec, if you want to combine an audio track with a MIDI track, make sure the original audio track is recorded to a click track set to the MIDI tempo you want to use. If the vocalist wanders off the click track a bit, it's all right. Vocalists interpret like this all the time. The rest of the audio tracks (instruments or other sounds) should stay very much in sync with the MIDI tracks you add without you needing to fiddle around with buttons.

If you own a decent DAW, you can also time sync the audio to the nearest beat.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Osvaldo De Souza

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 08:51:03 PM »
26th January 2021

I would appreciate if someone can post STEP by STEP instructions on how to:

PLAY MP3 TRACK on " A "  and at the same time RECORD APPROPRIATE STYLE " B " to synch with MP3 track and save this as MIDI FILE

Thanks
Oz