Author Topic: Must we eject a USB Key before removal on a PSR-SX900 and other models  (Read 4251 times)

JMonast

Hi all,

I'm new to your forum.  Glad to be here.

Don't know if this was answered in the past, but is there a procedure before removing a USB key from my SX900?  I fell bad every time I do it, afraid to corrupt my files on the stick or else...

Always thought it was wrong to simply pull the stick from a computer.

Thank you in advance for your answers...

Cheers from Canada... (and yes I got the free subwoofer from Yamaha, and I got the feed rom your forum, thanks to one of you!)

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Must we eject a USB Key before removal on a PSR-SX900 and other models
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 02:59:28 PM »
I never do, and have never had a problem. I just pull the stick out. Of course, I wait until any write operation has finished, but as long as you do that, you won’t have a problem.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 03:28:17 PM »
When I talked with the tech at Yamaha, after loosing 2 USB sticks, he said t0 be sure to turn off the keyboard before removing the USB drive as it is constantly in the standby mode when the keyboard is turned on. Since I began doing this, I have not lost a USB stick, which was 4 years ago.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 03:33:03 PM »
Always turn the keyboard off before removing the stick. There is no safe removal procedure as on computers.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Enildo

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 12:29:46 PM »
I never turn off the keyboard to remove or insert the USB stick.
I do this all the time with the keyboard on and I never had a problem with any flash drive.

Good luck
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 04:15:37 PM »
Same here. Keyboards are quite different to computers the way they operate. I am always plugging USB sticks in and out to find things to save to user and always while keyboard is on. Have always  done it that way. Even Yamaha demonstrators do it. Never had a problem.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 07:39:26 PM »
I do this all the time with the keyboard on and I never had a problem with any flash drive.

Good luck

Ditto!

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 08:22:54 PM »

Good luck

I think the majority of us use this procedure.  I just make sure that the read/write operation has finished prior to removing the flash drive.  I've owned my Tyros 4 for over 6 years and it's still performing flawlessly, as well as all the flash drives I use.  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 09:11:02 PM »
Warnings about removing usb unsafe lay always seem such a waste of time, a) because nothing ever seems to go wrong so everyone ignores them and b) because they happen after you have already removed it anyway so it’s pointless.
Mike

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 10:12:28 PM »
I do this more on my computer, just pull the stick out without engaging the safely romove- procedure. I had one Sandisk stick that got bad after removing it from my S970, but it could have nothing to do with the removal, maybe just a bad stick. Or my S970 was an USB device killer :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline andyg

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 12:31:51 PM »
I never switch off, never have and never will. As long as you don't remove it while the warning message about switching off is on screen, you're fine. In the teaching studio, I would insert and remove sticks from PSR , Genos and Tyros keyboards multiple times a day, often multiple times in a 1/2 hour lesson. None of my students do so, regardless of the make or model of keyboard, piano, synth or organ. Not one has ever had a problem due to not switching off.

I often don't worry about 'ejecting' my USB sticks, DS cards, phones and tablet on my PC either. Either I've been exceedingly lucky since USB sticks first arrived on the scene or it's just Microsoft covering their ...... ! :) Just follow the simple rule, don't remove while you're writing to the stick.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com