Author Topic: Load of fun with style pedal 'holding' function.  (Read 1951 times)

blackpool

Load of fun with style pedal 'holding' function.
« on: November 26, 2020, 04:11:31 PM »
I have used 'Fill break' as a pedal function for style for a long time and have mentioned it before on here. I do think it is a hidden gem of a feature, given you can hold it just as long or as short you like by foot it's easier for me than by hand. Used 'carefully' it generates some very interesting backing in some bars of music when held down.

I recently tried 'fill self' using the 2nd pedal and have to say it is just great as well.. It does in my opinion provide an even more 'less mechanical' backing and almost sounds in some cases as if you have a live drummer following you when in hold..

Having fun with this one ....so thought was worth a post to share, if you have not tried it.

Keith
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 05:58:09 PM by blackpool »

The following users thanked this post: juketsu, pchan

Offline Toril S

Re: Load of fun with style pedal functions.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 04:21:48 PM »
Thanks Keith! Will try it!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 05:03:09 PM »
I have used 'Fill break' as a pedal function for style for a long time ...

I recently tried 'fill self' using the 2nd pedal and have to say it is just great as well.. It does in my opinion provide an even more 'less mechanical' backing and almost sounds in some cases as if you have a live drummer following you when in hold..

Hi Keith,

"Fill self" is exactly the same Fill-in which is played when pressing the currently used Main Variation button again. The same Fill-in is also played when you change the Main Variation with activated "Auto Fill-in" function.

So it's nothing really "new", but of course you're right: In some situations it can be easier to trigger a Fill-in with a Foot Pedal. :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

blackpool

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 05:17:17 PM »
Yes I understand that of course Chris, maybe i was not clear here....

The point I am trying to make here is 'holding' rather than just 'pressing'  and the effect this can provide by foot for elongated measures which is near on impossible to do by hand.

The effect on hold changes the whole functions effect IMHO and is worth checking out

I have changed the thread title to reflect this point.

Thanks - Keith
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 06:02:12 PM by blackpool »

Offline RONBO

Re: Load of fun with style pedal 'holding' function.
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 10:41:17 PM »
Kieth

I too use this function but not with a pedal I admit.

Try this. While holding down the break button play chords from the song and change the chord at will after each measure .
You get some wonderful additions to your fill in that way
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 10:47:19 PM »
When I think of it I have done that in some of my songs. But not with a pedal.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 02:21:57 AM »
I use the MFC-10 to do most functions of the Genos. I find it way easier than taking your hands away to press a button.
I have all 3 articulations on pedal 1,2 and 3. I have fill in on pedal 4, break on pedal 5, Pedal 6 controls Multi pad, Pedal 7 does fade in or out, Pedal 8 and 9 advance and reverse the score pages and Pedal 10 stops the Rythem section.  I also have a pedal to change the registration buttons 1-10, and an Expression pedal to use for volume, and pitch bend. Then I have another pedal to use as  Sustain for piano and sometimes I program it for Modulation as well. For me, this makes life easy, and after getting used to it, I don't have to look down to hit the buttons and pedals.
Unfortunately, Yamaha discontinued this Pedal Board. I am not sure why it works flawlessly.

Rick D.

blackpool

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 07:49:54 AM »
Yes ..pity this pedal board is not compatible with SX well as far as I am aware.
It was not so much the basic pedal functions Rick, and I know there are many available ...
It was just how this 'hold' thing seems to work with certain ones .... it's certainly something I am going to experiment with especially when used with style patterns ..
Keith

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 10:31:30 AM »
Blackpool,

I use the hold feature you mention occasionally with the pedal board. You can get some nice affects with it.

Rick D.