Author Topic: WIDI Master - Bluetooth MIDI adapter  (Read 1659 times)

WIDI Master - Bluetooth MIDI adapter
« on: November 24, 2020, 06:29:50 PM »
Hello all, greetings.

Has anybody had the opportunity to use the “WIDI MASTER”? This is a Bluetooth midi adapter; WIDI Master adds wireless Bluetooth MIDI transmission and reception functions to music equipment with MIDI DIN connectors. This adapter is something similar to the Yamaha MD-BT01.  The idea is to connect the iPhone or iPad or any android to the psr sx700/900 wirelessly and make use of the Yamaha’s  Apps such as Chord Tracker or MusicSoft etc..etc..  or GarageBand. I would like to know if anyone had problems or any issue to consider when using this kind of adapters, specially with Chord Tracker App .

Thanks in advance.
👍🏻 Don't worry be happy!

Re: WIDI Master - Bluetooth MIDI adapter
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 07:46:37 PM »
Thanks Muddy for your thoughts. I´ve receive the WIDI Master adapter and begun to test it and use it, mainly with my iPhone XR (iOS 14.2), PSR sx900 (1.05) and some few Yamaha Apps I use, like Chord Tracker and MusicSoft,  else with MusicStudio and Sweet MIDI. I have now some issues that I would like to share to you:

-   It was easy to connect between the iPhone and the sx900 using the midimittr APP developed for use with de WIDI Master, had no problem.

-   With the MusicStudio and Sweet MIDI Apps didn’t have any problem, it works well transmitting and receiving data and the apps worked fine.

-   Problems with the Yamaha APPs (Chord Tracker and Music Soft) witch are the ones that I mainly use. I had no problems at all with these two apps a few days ago when using communication with cable and with an older iOS version. Now they do not work. At first, my first impression was, that the problem was the new WIDI Master Bluetooth adapter, so I tried to use the Apps connecting the sx900 and the iPhone with cable again, and I had the same results, didtn work, crashes.  I think that the new Apple iOS version 14.2 is the problem and that it has something wrong that doesn’t let those apps work correctly, Once you access those apps and try to transmit/receive data it crashes and throws you out of the App closing it, the sx900 maintains permanently showing a window that says is working transmitting/receiving data.  In conclusion, the Yamaha Apps stop working with the new Apple iOS 14.2 release.

-   I had an answer from the WIDI Master adapter support team telling me that “the probably reason is that Yamaha Apps uses long SysEx to transmit data to the keyboard”, that the “WIDI master supports 2K Bytes SysEx Length”. They will be releasing a new firmware next week and this one will support long SysEx. Have to try it latter and see.

If anybody has similar problems using the Yamaha Apps (Chord Tracker, MusicSoft) with new iOS version, please advice.

Best regards
Bernardo
👍🏻 Don't worry be happy!

Re: WIDI Master - Bluetooth MIDI adapter
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 10:06:05 PM »
Here is the answer from the Yamaha Support Team respect this problem, a consideration we must have the Apple users:

“Dear Bernardo,

Thanks for contacting Yamaha.

There is a MIDI communication problem in iOS 14.2/iPadOS 14.2. We recommend that you refrain from updating to iOS 14.2/iPadOS 14.2 until the measures are completed.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

Best regards,
Yamaha Music Latin America”

Regards

Bernardo
👍🏻 Don't worry be happy!