Author Topic: psrsx900 touch sensivity  (Read 7905 times)

kellyboy1

psrsx900 touch sensivity
« on: November 24, 2020, 12:30:02 PM »
is there any way touch sensivity can be turned off on psrsx900 as it can on psrs910

Offline EileenL

Re: psrsx900 touch sensivity
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 12:43:22 PM »
Yes but why would you want to. This is what adds expression to your music. Go to  Menu and page two.Select Keyboard and Joystick. There you can take the ticks out of the voices.

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 01:10:31 PM »
Hi kellyboy1,

in addition to what Eileen said:

Press [Direct Access] button and then [Modulation Hold] button (next to the Joystick) to call up the "Keyboard/Joystick" window (or press [Menu] > [Keyboard/Joystick] > [Keyboard]).

There you can specify which keyboard parts "Initial Touch" should apply to. You can also set the desired value for "Fixed Velocity" there. This value is used for the parts for which the Touch Response (Initial Touch) is set to off.

P.S.
I do NOT recommend to set Initial Touch completely to off for certain Parts. Instead, call up "Voice Edit" for the respective Voice and use the "Touch Sensitivity Depth" and "Touch Sensitivity Offset" parameters under "Common" to reduce the impact of the played Velocity on the Voice if necessary (but not completely prevent).

Please refer to pages 37 and 46/47 of the SX900 Reference Manual and see also the attached picture.

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Anil Sahin

blackpool

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 01:18:47 PM »
I can only assume wanting to turn this feature 'off' hails from playing traditional organ ?? Kelly
It would just be interesting to know

When I made the transition from organ to keyboard, i found it quite odd using my fingers rather than my feet to add expression and did not use this feature on many of my early keyboards ( although some did not even have it ) . Now i have to say, i would not be without it.

Keith

kellyboy1

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 02:56:14 PM »
hi keith
im not really a good musician just play for pleasure but i absolutly hate belting the keys to get some sound from them have been playing psrs910 for 10 years and find it very hard to getbused to psrsx900

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 03:26:10 PM »
There a range of velocity sense curves to pick from. You might find one of them suits you better so you don't lose all expression, but don't have to bang them so hard.

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 04:23:58 PM »
Hi kellyboy1,

go to "Keyboard/Joystick" window (as described in my first post) and set "Touch Curve" to "Soft 2". This setting produces a relatively high volume even with light playing strength.

You can also set this behaviour separately for each Voice (using "Voice Edit" > "Touch Sensitivity", as mentioned above). Note: Since you cannot overwrite Preset Voices you must save a changed Voice as a "User Voice" then.

P.S.
If you feel that the Voices of the Keyboard Parts (Right 1 - 3, Left) are "too quiet", simply set the STYLE volume to a slightly lower value (e.g. from 100 to 90 or 85) and then increase the master volume if necessary. If you use commercial MIDI files, set the Song Volume to 60 ... 70.

Also check the Master EQ and Master Compressor settings (accessed via the mixer): You should not set too much compression, as this makes the output signal quieter. As a test, you can also switch off the Master Compressor completely. With the "Output" control of the Master Compressor you can increase the overall output signal. But please don't turn it up too far, otherwise internal digital distortion could occur.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline jay

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 01:08:34 PM »
is there NO way i can turn touch sensitivity off until I want it on. I find it so frustrating having to go to the menu page everytime i bring a song up on a playlist to change it

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 04:49:43 PM »
No I am afraid you cant. Your easiest solution would be to save your desired touch sense to registration banks. Always the best way to go anyway.

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 05:42:19 PM »
is there NO way i can turn touch sensitivity off until I want it on. I find it so frustrating having to go to the menu page everytime i bring a song up on a playlist to change it

Hi jay,

when you call up a certain Playlist record, a certain Registration Bank is loaded and then a certain Registration of this Bank.

You can change all settings as desired, then memorize the current settings back to the SAME Registration button and SAVE the Registration Bank. Note: Make sure to have ticked all needed checkboxes after pressing the [Memory] button (before pressing the desired Registration button).

Best regards,
Chris

Offline jay

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2021, 07:36:04 PM »
i previously had a psr 3000   and then a psr 670 and you could just turn touch sensitivity off, Why couldn't they just have that option on the sx900 i wonder

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2021, 07:40:18 PM »
I had a PSR 2100, and you could dp that. But I never used that option. Much better to follow the advice of several friends here😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Bill

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 11:32:13 AM »

You might not have an actual button for doing this however, you can assign Touch ON/OFF to a pedal or one of the assignable buttons.  I have done this on the Genos and find it very useful for the odd time I want to turn it off without having to waste time going into the setup function menus.  See page 111 of the reference manual.

Regards

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

The following users thanked this post: overover

Offline jay

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2021, 06:20:49 PM »
hi bill
re touch sensitivity. how did you assign it to a button ?  i assigned to a button but all i have is the screen comes up on the initial touch screen and i then have to touch the screen to turn it off / on manually.  it would be a lot better just to touch a button and it be off

Offline Cucho

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2021, 01:05:20 AM »
Hey Bill !!!

I have the assignable "Key A" on my SX700, assigned to disable the touch sensitivity, so when I turn the keyboard on, the sensitivity is on, but as soon as I press the assignable "Key A" it's disabled.   

To get to set it up, you press the "Menu" button (next to the touch screen), that will takes you to the Menu1 on the touch screen, then go to "Assignable", there you'll see 6 boxes for each one of the assignable keys A - F, just assign one of the keys to that function called "Initial Touch On/Off".

For more detailed instructions, look into your keyboard's Owner's Manual, there you should have step by step how to assign those keys.

This is all I know, good luck !!!   ;)

The following users thanked this post: jay, overover, kali291, jcook980

Offline technerd

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2023, 07:23:55 PM »
Greetings everyone.

I just got my new SX900. Right out of the box, none of the SuperArticulation voices triggers when playing. If i strike the keys very hard in a striking/hammering motion, then only it triggers. No amount of pressure seems to be enough unless I lift the hand/fingers and strike it with force.
As mentioned, I changed the "Touch Curve" to all options (Normal, Soft2, Soft1...etc) but it does not seems to do anything. All the check box for left, R1,R2,R3 are active...and checked.
Am I missing something? or is there a problem with my device?
I am worried.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2023, 11:18:45 PM »
Remenber that the SA voices behave differently, some are more expressive than others. And it takes some practice to play them.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: technerd

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2023, 09:11:39 AM »
hello technerd,
Speaking for me, normal (non-S.Art) and S.Art voices have similar loudness characteristic and so I play them the same way. Of course, S.Art voices have articulation (expression) capability, so playing technique depends on voice we choose -but this has nothing to do with loudness. That is, for example, I play non-S.Art piano the same way as an S.Art piano -means, I don't need to use higher velocity (force) on S.Art voices.
Saying all that, I'm surprised that you say you have trouble with S.Art voices only.
Btw. differences in Touch sensitivity (Normal, Soft1, etc) are quite subtle and so when changing from one to another, no big change should be expected.

Another thought comes to my mind... is this your first keyboard? Or first keyboard that has touch sensitive keybed? If that's the case, then the problem is most probably your imagination.. or to put it differently, it doesn't behave as you expected. When I bough my first keyboard, I also had impression that the thing is just too quiet and voices were kinda flat.. not crisp.. and so I simply turned touch sensitivity off -which is not a solution, of course.
Obviously, when touch sensitivity is used, then you need to turn volume knob a bit louder (when practicing, I usually have it at about 10-11 o'clock position). And no, you don't to hammer the keys  :)

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: YammyFan, technerd

Offline pjd

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2023, 05:39:40 PM »
Yamaha's documentation is not particularly straightforward about S.Art technique nor explicit about setting forth expectations/behavior for the S.Art voices. Here are quotes from the manuals:

"These Voices provide many benefits with great playability and expressive control in real time. For example, with the Saxophone Voice, if you play a C and then a D in a very legato way, you will hear the note change seamlessly, as though a saxophone player played it in a single breath. Similarly with the Concert Guitar Voice, if you play a C note and then the E just above in a very legato but firm way, the pitch slides up from C to E. Depending on how you play, other effects such as “shaking” or breath noises (for the Trumpet Voice), or finger noises (for the Guitar Voice) are produced."

"Example: Saxophone Voice
If you play a C note and then an adjacent D in a very legato way, you will hear the note change seamlessly, as though a saxophone player played it in a single breath."

"Example: Concert Guitar Voice
If you play a C note and then the E just above in a very legato but firm way, the pitch slides up from C to E."

"The applied articulation effect differs depending on the selected Voice. For details, refer to the Data List on the
website. You can also add articulation sounds manually by using the functions “Articulation 1–2” when the Voice has the corresponding sounds. These functions can be assigned to the ASSIGNABLE buttons, the [ROTARY SP/ASSIGNABLE] button, or the
foot pedals. (pages 57, 94)"

That's all the help you get! Toril is correct -- some of these gestures must be practiced.

All the best -- pj

« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 05:45:15 PM by pjd »

Offline pjd

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2023, 05:44:21 PM »
Older Yamaha arrangers had an INFO feature for each voice. The INFO would describe the voice, and in the case of S.Art voices, a description of the supported articulations for the voice.

If I recall correctly, the articulation for the grand piano is the release sound (sample). Maybe the release is louder when the key is struck harder at first, but who knows.

Yamaha has been (kind of) abusing the word "articulation" lately turning it into a marketing term. The articulation for JS organ voices is switching between slow and fast rotary samples using the joystick. Not an articulation in the traditional sense of the word.

-- pj

« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 08:44:24 PM by pjd »

Offline Enildo

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2023, 09:45:28 PM »

Forget the menu and assignable buttons.
Press "Direct Access + Modulation Hold button" (first button next to the joystick) and that's it!

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!