Author Topic: How to change broken keys? PSR-S970  (Read 2631 times)

alitipu

How to change broken keys? PSR-S970
« on: November 22, 2020, 10:59:04 PM »
For my PSR S970, one of my Keyboard Key A"/Bb (black) at fourth octave is broken. I took the keyboard assembly out but I cannot take the keys out.

Q1: Do I have to remove the EMKS61A, MK-L, MK-H Circuit Board and Rubber Contacts out before removing the keys?

Q2: Do you have any video showing the procedure to remove the individual octaves out and remove black keys?

Offline overover

Re: How to change broken keys? PSR-S970
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 11:39:37 PM »
Hi alitipu,

welcome to the Psrtutorial forum!

Please download the S970 Service Manual from here:
>>> https://psrtutorial.com/lessons/workshops/ServiceManuals.html

There you will find all needed information. :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

alitipu

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 05:10:04 PM »
Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply. Appreciated.
I have the service manual. Most of the keyboards you can open from the front and slide the octave out. But S970 looks different. I tried to find a video how to do it but no luck. I was wondering if anyone worked on it and can help me.

Regards,
Ali

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 08:34:56 PM »
Hi Ali,

thanks for your feedback!

As I said before, all needed information can be found in the Service Manual. ;)

For example, on the Tyros5, the keyboard unit is screwed to the lower case. So you can simply remove / open the upper case upwards (after you have removed the "correct" screws on the bottom) and then you have direct access to the key attachment, see here:
>>> https://youtu.be/hJPl_Kp06AY?t=63

With PSR-S models, however, this is different: After you have removed / opened the lower case, you will see that the keyboard unit is screwed to the upper case. In order to get to the screwing of the black and white keys, the complete keyboard unit must be removed. Whether the EMKS61A, MK-L and MK-H circuit boards and the rubber contact have to be removed depends on the damage that is to be repaired. Since the frames with the black keys are accessible first (without removing the white keys), the circuit boards and/or the rubber contact mentioned may not necessarily have to be removed in your case.

Therefore, disassembly procedures 2 (Lower Case), 10 (Keyboard Assembly) and 20-7/20-8 are important for you. Procedures 20-3 through 20-6 are optional.

Here is a video showing a DIY repair of a white key on the PSR-S710. The construction of the keyboard unit is basically identical to the S970:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0CnoUNelKI

Hope you can successfully repair your S970!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 08:36:02 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: rezaazadi1361