Author Topic: New Genos, joystick locked  (Read 2484 times)

Coga10

New Genos, joystick locked
« on: November 20, 2020, 02:41:07 PM »
Hi all,

I've just taken delivery of my new Genos.

It's my first Yamaha keyboard but it seems the joystick is locked in the upright position and will not work free.

Is this normal? i.e. Is there a setting I should know about to unfreeze it or should I send it back?

Thanks for any help

Online overover

Re: New Genos, joystick locked
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 03:17:34 PM »
Hi Coga,

next to the joystick is the "Modulation Hold" button. When you move the joystick in vertical direction you can press this button to "freeze" the current Modulation value.

Press the button again to get back the normal function.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 03:24:22 PM »
Hi, do you mean it is physically stuck in the "up" position and won't move down? Can it move left and right?

As far as I know it should arrive in the box "unlocked" and be able to move freely.
Genos

Coga10

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 03:27:27 PM »
It is physically (mechanically) stuck in the up position.

I can move it from side to side but not down.

The actual stick bends if I use force but the mechanism stays put

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 04:14:17 PM »
Should move quite freely in any position. Have you checked to make sure no packing is still there.

Online overover

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 04:50:44 PM »
Hi Coga,

the Joystick should work as shown in this video on Genos:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxLJ7oaf3pw

The stick always must automatically return to the center position. If this is not the case, there is probably an internal mechanical defect.

If I were you, I would send the Genos back to the dealer and insist on an exchange for a faultless unit.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Genos!

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 05:10:31 PM »
No question about it: Send it back!

And if it was a "new" purchase you want a "new" keyboard, not a used substitute.

If you don't trust the seller at this point, you could also ask for a refund and go with somebody else.

Coga10

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 05:18:13 PM »
The seller is one of the biggest musical distributors in Europe. I got a couple of hundred knocked off the price of a new one as it was 'B-stock'.

I haven't heard back from them yet, but I think I'll send it back anyway. I've had to get a bank loan to pay for it :)

Online overover

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 05:43:15 PM »
Hi Conga,

a "B-stock" device may have slight scratches or other minor "blemishes", but it still needs to be fully functional. So you should send it back.

The construction of the Joystick unit is relatively complex from a technical point of view, so the replacement or repair of the unit should always be carried out by an experienced Yamaha service technician. So you should definitely not try to fix anything here yourself.

Here is a video of repairing a KORG joystick as an example:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8CFuybcTFo

Best regards,
Chris

DonM

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2020, 08:37:02 PM »
I have replaced three joysticks on various Korg arrangers, including PA4X.  Why?  Because if you carry it in a bag and happen to bang the bag against something you can break the joystick mechanism because it  protrudes above the keyboard. It took me three times to figure out what was breaking it.
The solution is to put foam rubber around and over the joystick, cutting a hole in the foam to fit the stick.  Or  carry it in a hard shell case.  :)
It isn't too hard to do on Korg except for taking out about a hundred screws.  The only Yamahas I've had with joysticks are the  SX900 and Genos, and I didn't keep them long enough to do any damage, so I don't know if this is even relevant. 
Anyway, if it's under warranty, send it back for sure!

Coga10

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 02:04:10 PM »
Thanks everyone.

I have the pre-paid label to ship it back to Germany and just ordered one from EPianos.co.uk who happen to be located in the same town as me in the UK, so hopefully I'll be picking it up before next weekend as soon as I have my refund