Author Topic: Is it a good idea to Yamaha MX to my PSR-SX  (Read 1867 times)

Offline dogendo

Is it a good idea to Yamaha MX to my PSR-SX
« on: November 16, 2020, 07:53:43 PM »
I plan to add to my Psr-sx700 a Yamaha MX synth; are piano, e-piano, strings and pads sounds of the MX better than the PSR-sx ?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 10:51:31 PM by dogendo »

SeaGtGruff

Re: Is it a good idea to Yamaha MX to my PSR-SX
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 03:59:06 PM »
They are good, but I have no idea whether they are better. MX is older than PSR-SX, so I would think that PSR-SX might benefit from newer technology, but MX is a synth so its controls are designed to achieve a different goal than the controls on an arranger keyboard-- live manipulation of sounds as opposed to live manipulation of accompaniments. I should think they'd complement each other nicely on that account, although MX synths have an old, awkward-to-use interface-- meaning its menu system and its tiny screen display-- so you would want to grab some software for setting it up and editing its sounds.

Offline Brian 007

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 04:04:25 PM »
Hi ,

Having owned the instruments you mentioned but not both at the same time I would say you would just be giving yourself more of the same Yamaha sounds, some may be different but still sound very much Yamaha.

So if your looking for totally different voices maybe try a different brand

Brian007

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 04:32:53 PM »
These top end and latest keyboards are all getting to be so good over the last 5 years that any sound difference between them is likely small. The differences are becoming very subjective, some people are convinced there is a big difference others hear no significant difference.  I hear recordings on this forum from a wide range of instruments, some several years old, but I never listen and think that isn't very good because its an older model, cheaper, ...  whatever. But I do notice instantly who plays good and who doesn't.
Mike