Author Topic: Expansion pack space  (Read 2238 times)

Offline sm-sx700

Expansion pack space
« on: November 15, 2020, 03:27:45 PM »
Good day all,

Im new to expansion packs, and would like to know if it is possible to save only my favourite styles from each expansion pack onto usb,

Reason i ask is my sx 700 has 400 mb space, and hence with the newly released free expansion packs im out of space,

I did remove all the voices on all the expansion packs in YEM and it does not help much in terms of space,

I have +- 20 packs, and only need around 5 styles from each pack,

Any ideas will be welcome,

Regards all

Offline overover

Re: Expansion pack space
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 04:48:09 PM »
Hi sm-sx700,

there is no point in deselecting STYLES in Expansion Packs, because Styles are only copied to the keyboard's User drive when the Pack is installed. So this has nothing to do with the Expansion Wave Memory. Style files are also relatively small (only around 50 to a maximum of 130 KB). But the User drive on the SX700 is 1 GB. So, the installed Expansion STYLES are never a problem.

If you want to save space in the Expansion Wave Memory (which is around 400 MB in size on the SX700), you can only do this by deselecting VOICES (that are not required in the individual Expansion Packs).

If you use Packs in the (non-protected) .ppf format, you could also combine the desired contents of several Packs in a new, self-created .ppf Pack. However, this is not possible with (protected) .cpf packs, so only the method mentioned at the beginning remains.

After you have clicked on your Install Target "PSR-S700" in YEM, it is important that "Voice Wave Size" is selected in the dropdown box at the top. When deselecting VOICES of a Pack, the displayed "Voice Wave Size" value to the left of the slash is usually reduced. If the value does not decrease, the respective (deselected) Voice uses either only Preset Samples or its own Expansion Samples, which are extremely small. In such cases, deselecting the respective Voice does not help to save memory space.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: sm-sx700

Offline sm-sx700

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 08:54:43 PM »
Hi Chris,

Thank u for your well explained break down,

And u have saved me a lot of time as well on trying to deselect the un-wanted styles :D

Regards

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 09:18:25 PM »
Thanks for your quick feedback, sm-sx700!

I hope you continue to have fun and enjoyment with your SX700!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 11:04:36 AM »
So yes, you can save the expansion styles over to USB once you've installed them.

However if those styles use voices from the expansion pack, they will only sound properly if you have also installed those voices. And the voices cannot be moved to USB - they have to be included in the pack you build in YEM.

You can always of course revoice the copied styles using preset voices from your keyboard which can give decent results.
Genos

Offline sm-sx700

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 06:34:15 PM »
DerekA,

Good day too u,

Thats a trick which im going to try out,

Im just going to have to install the required packs(voices) without the styles,

Thank u very much

Regards

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 06:59:19 PM »
Hi sm-sx700,

of course you CAN save (not copy) installed Expansion Styles (one by one) to a USB stick (or to a location outside the Expansion folder in User drive).

But as mentioned before, Style files are relatively small, and on SX700 you have more then enough memory in the User drive (where also the Expansion folder resides).

Saving such Styles to another folder / drive could give you a faster access to the Styles, because you don't need to go into the individual Pack subfolders of the Expansion folder.

But, as also mentioned,  "installed" Styles of Expansion Packs do NOT need any space in the Expansion WAVE Memory.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 07:56:42 PM by overover »

Offline sm-sx700

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 07:46:06 PM »
Howzit Chris,

Hope u have some patience to spare me, ::)

I have tried this method out and found that once a new pack is installed, some voices and even drums dont work on some styles, so im going to ask,

If u had 15 expansion packs , of which u wanted to keep only +- 80 styles, how would u do it?

Take note that i have the sx 700

Well wishes to u

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 09:30:24 PM »
Howzit Chris,

Hope u have some patience to spare me, ::)

I have tried this method out and found that once a new pack is installed, some voices and even drums dont work on some styles, so im going to ask,

If u had 15 expansion packs , of which u wanted to keep only +- 80 styles, how would u do it? ...

Hi sm-sx700,

I would always leave all Styles of a Pack selected, so just always install all styles. As already mentioned, the SX700/900 (and of course Genos ;)) have more than enough space in the User drive. (In contrast, PSR-S models only have a very small User drive (only a few MBytes). With these models, of course, it makes sense to deselect styles that are not required in the YEM before installation.)

I also recommend leaving all the Drum Voices (Drum Kits) contained in the Packs selected, because the Drums are particularly important for the Style Channels 9 and 10  to sound "right". Missing Voices in Style Channels 11 - 16 (if the Voices concerned have been deselected and thus not installed) you can easily revoice with other suitable Voices if necessary.

If you want to know exactly which Voices are used in a certain Style, I recommend loading the Style into "MixMaster". In "VoiceView" all used Voices are displayed with name (if known) and Voice address. (See the attached picture.)
>>> https://psrtutorial.com/MB/mixMaster.html

With protected packs (.cpf) these Voice addresses (MSB, LSB, ProgramChange) are unfortunately not displayed in the YEM. In many cases you can check the so-called "Packlists" which addresses the Voices contained have.

In this context it has to be mentioned that there is a difference between "Custom Voices" and Expansion Voices with fixed Voice addresses:

Custom Normal Voices always have the MSB number 063, Custom Drum Voices have the MSB number 062. The LSB number depends on the import order of the Packs in the YEM (but can be changed manually if necessary). Styles that use Custom Voices will no longer work properly if the LSBs of the Packs have been changed.

In contrast, Voices from Yamaha Packs usually have fixed Voice addresses. With these Voices it does not matter in which order the Packs are imported into the YEM or whether the Packs have been moved in the YEM under "Change Bank Select LSB" (because they are outside the MSB 063/062 Custom Voice address range anyway).

You can also display the Voice addresses directly on the SX900: To do this, press the "Menu" symbol in the Voice Selection display and select "Show Voice Number". Please note that Yamaha counts the PRG number (the right-most 3 digits) from 001 ... 128. With the MIDI ProgramChange, however, the range from 000 ... 127 is used.

Unfortunately, there is no real "secret tip" to quickly find out which Voices "absolutely" should be installed in a certain Pack (because they are required by the Styles included). You will have to decide yourself which Voices of a Pack you actually need on the keyboard ...

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 09:36:58 PM by overover »

Offline sm-sx700

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 09:53:45 PM »
Chris,

Took me some time to understand your reply(lol),

However, i did manage to absorb it all and hopefully will be able to get what i want done,

Im going to do it your way and just revoice if needed,

I very much appreciate your time and assistance,

God bless