Author Topic: Question regarding expansion packs  (Read 2123 times)

Offline gogo

Question regarding expansion packs
« on: November 15, 2020, 07:41:41 AM »
Hello

I have the psr s770 which I have been using for writing an album with Tyrollean music. I also play the Viola. My intention was to prepare the backing tracks with the PSR and record my Viola, mix and produce a CD. Unfortunately, due to a disease I have very slight tremors on the hands which prevents me from playing the notes on my viola at the right times. Mitigating the problem in post-production is tiresome job and, being a novice at music production, the results are quite unsatisfactory.

Therefore, the solution I look for is to use a viola voice on the PSR. In that regard, I have the following questions:

- is there an expansion pack which contains good solo strings voices (Violin and Viola)?
- Are the expansion packs on the yamaha website the only source I can use to expand the voices on my PSR s770? Are there 3rd party ones?

In case there isn’t a suitable expansion pack for me, my other option would be to upgrade to the psr SX900 because it contains the Superarticulation Viola - which sounds realistic and might do the job. I haven’t played the SX900 yet. However, I’d very much like to avoid buying a new keyboard as an expansion pack costs much less.

Thank you for your input in advance.

Offline Simone1972

Re: Question regarding expansion packs
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 11:09:56 AM »
My two cent suggestions are the following:
- Try the Yamaha "church & Christmas" pack
     it contains some solo string voices that sounds pretty good
- I bought several packages from this site: https://dynamix-audio.com/
     It's a professional alternative I use a lot, with each pack well presented through a video.

Enjoy

Offline gogo

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 06:04:49 PM »
Hi, Simone,

Many thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, neither the dynamix pack nor the SX-900 will do. The super articulation viola voice has a very slow attack which makes it sound unreal. Honestly, nobody plays like that. What idea have the engineers at Yamaha had, I don’t know. The SX-900 looks fresh but is not worth the upgrade from my s770 in my case

I will have to make do with whatever voices there are on my s770. Or look for a Cubase plug-in.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 06:25:42 PM by gogo »

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 09:24:26 PM »
Hi Gogo,

I have prepared 11 different Solo Violin Expansion Voices for you. Two of the Voices have both a stereo version and a mono version. Use the mono version to save space in the Expansion Wave memory. (Unfortunately, the Expansion memory is only 160 MB on S770.)

You can download a zip file containing these 13 Voices from my Dropbox (download size is about 94 MB):
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ttnnwgr522b61x/ppf%20Solo%20Violin%2BViola.zip?dl=0

Optionally you can download the 13 .ppf files contained in the zip file separately:
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yew4gzdfxkhswva/AABmU6sMLCZUPDFQKzJnxllYa?dl=0

I recommend to create a new, empty Pack in the YEM (Yamaha Expansion Manager) first. Then import the desired .ppf files into this Pack using "Import Content" function. (You can also simply drag the .ppf file into the new Pack using the computer mouse. :))

You can also pre-listen to the imported Voices in the YEM: Just double-click the desired Voice to open the Voice Editor, then click on the virtual keyboard. If you shouldn't hear anything, click on the gear symbol (top right) and set the desired Audio Output device (e.g. the PC sound card). To close the Voice Editor window click the red "Back" button. If a message appears, click "Discard". (With "Save" you would save the Voice again with any changes you might not want.)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 09:37:46 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, rezaazadi1361, wersianer, balcino