Author Topic: iPad IOS 14.2 update disabled Songbook+ MIDI connection  (Read 6402 times)

Offline wdhorner

iPad IOS 14.2 update disabled Songbook+ MIDI connection
« on: November 11, 2020, 04:31:08 PM »
Songbook MIDI has been working flawlessly with GENOS and BT101 for years. However after the iPad 14.2 IOS update, the Songbook MIDI connection works one time only (choosing a song loads the linked registration). Selecting any song after that breaks the the MIDI connection and it cannot be reconnected without restarting Songbook. Anyone else experiencing this?
Bill

Offline overover

Re: iPad IOS 14.2 update disabled Songbook+ MIDI connection
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 04:58:15 PM »
Hi Bill,

Fred Smith also has this problem with iOS 14.2 and the Yamaha MD-BT01 Bluetooth LE MIDI adapter:
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,57331.msg445283.html#msg445283

Fred is currently working with a second iPad on which iOS 14.1 is still installed.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any solution for this problem with iOS 14.2 at the moment.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: wdhorner

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 05:25:42 PM »
Songbook MIDI has been working flawlessly with GENOS and BT101 for years. However after the iPad 14.2 IOS update, the Songbook MIDI connection works one time only (choosing a song loads the linked registration). Selecting any song after that breaks the the MIDI connection and it cannot be reconnected without restarting Songbook. Anyone else experiencing this?

As Chris said, I found this problem last week. I've posted the problem to the Apple discussion forum, but didn't get any resolution.

The only workaround I know of is to revert to 14.1 (if that's even possible).

I believe this is connected to the fact that a Windows PC no longer connects to the BT01, which Chris has documented in other posts. It sounds like the LE protocol has been updated, and Yamaha needs to come up with a firmware update.

And, for those still on 14.1 and using a BT01, DON'T UPDATE.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: loendersloot, wdhorner

Offline wdhorner

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 01:42:02 PM »
I Opened a ticket on the Baum Software website. They are aware of and apparently working on the problem.

=====================================
Hi Bill,

the issue is known and has to do with 14.2. The app-developer is working hard to fix it. Unfortunately I can't give you a workaround at this time.

A clue tor the next time: Do always wait with updating IOS until we give the okay for this! Updates are always a deeper intervention in the system and can have unpredictable consequences.

Best regards,

Michael Krusche
BauM-Software Support Team (SongBook+)
=====================================

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 03:45:02 PM »
I had some problems since the upgrade myself, but I connect thru wifi without adapters.
When I would start Songbook and try to select a song it would crash and I would have to restart it and it was fine. I had to do this every time.
Baum Software must have corrected that problem because it is working normally again.

Rick D.

The following users thanked this post: wdhorner

Offline wdhorner

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 05:22:38 PM »
Thanks Rick I'll give WIFI a try. It has really been a pain to have to manually select a registration for each song.
Bill

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 05:51:16 PM »
Thanks Rick I'll give WIFI a try. It has really been a pain to have to manually select a registration for each song.

Hi Bill,

if you have an Apple Camera Adapter for your iPad, you could use a standard USB type AB cable to connect the iPad to the USB-to-Host socket of the Genos (at least for test purposes).

On my iPad4 I use the "Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter", because it also has a Lightning socket so that the ipad can be connected to the power supply at the same time:

Best regards,
Chris

➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 06:44:13 PM »
Bill,

Hooking up thru wifi is challenging, but it does work. I had no luck using the Genos WIFI, I  had to connect to my own household WIFI and change the SongBook+ IP.
If you need some help speak up, and I will try to get you going. The trouble is I did it a year ago and the old memory ain't what she used to be.  :)

Rick D.

Offline wdhorner

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 09:39:32 PM »
Thanks Chris, Rick and Fred,
  I did switch to camera adapter after trying the WIFI. For me the WIFI connection behaved the same as the BT-01. It would stay connected for 1 or 2 song selections but then permanently disconnect. I tried both Infrastructure and Access Point modes with the same results.  The camera adapter seems solid so far. Its amazing how attached you get to the Genos Songbook automation. I was really frustrated having to manually call up registrations for each song. Anyway the camera adapter method seems to be working again for now.

Thanks again
Bill
Bill

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 09:46:07 PM »
Thanks for the update, Bill!

Best regards,
Chris

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2020, 11:31:56 PM »
Bill,

I have been in contact with BauM and they are aware of the problem.
Mine started acting up too.
It would connect fine for one song then require a reboot to get it to connect to choose another song.
I went with the adapter that  Chris mentioned above, and it works fine.
If BauM comes up with any answers I will let you know.
It sounds like an Apple problem though.

Rick D.

Eik

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 09:02:49 PM »
IOS 14.3 is out and midi Bluetooth is working great again  :)

Offline dh110953

Re: iPad IOS 14.2 update disabled Songbook+ MIDI connection (FIXED in IOS 14.3)
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2020, 03:48:54 PM »
I had the same problem but Baum Tech Support advised it would be fixed in IOS 14.3. I have just updated to IOS14.3 and can confirm that the issue is now resolved when connected via my home network and wireless. e.g. MiDi over network (Genos in Infrastructure mode).

I am not using Bluetooth or any Cable connections at all. My Genos network is set to Infrastructure mode and has always worked though sometimes I have to open a score in SB+ and a corresponding registration on the Genos before it all works flawlessly. I also found that if the MiDi is working both ways (both icons in SB+ flash) then all works. Sometimes I just restart MiDi in SB+ and it works. I don't have to do this very often but just occasionally the SB+ and Genos MiDi just fail to connect.

Hope this helps

David
Now have a CVP 809 as my wife plays Piano but not Keyboard - I had to PX a Genos to buy it, Also have an SX700 - I did previously own a Tyros.

PerBrende

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2020, 07:24:46 PM »
Hello. Where can we buy Songbook for Genos?

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2020, 07:53:32 PM »
Hello. Where can we buy Songbook for Genos?

Songbook is an iPad app. It's in the App Store. Search for "Songbook+", and make sure it's the one by Baum Software.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline wdhorner

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2020, 08:01:07 PM »
I upgraded to IOS 14.3 last night and switched back to the BT-01. So far everything is working again with the MD BT-01!!
Bill