Author Topic: Copying Files from Packs  (Read 1985 times)

Offline NASAMike

Copying Files from Packs
« on: November 10, 2020, 05:22:27 PM »
Is there an easier way to copy a style from a Pack than opening it in Style Creator and saving it to the USB?

Trying to copy right from the Pack doesn't work since the "copy" function is grayed out when selecting it right from the Pack.

Thx,
NASAMike

Offline ckobu

Re: Copying Files from Packs
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 05:39:32 PM »
With Genos, you can do this by connecting the keyboard to USB Storage MODE. Watch the video.

https://youtu.be/tJU5BfNiqUA
Watch my video channel

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 05:55:49 PM »
Hi NASAMike,

that depends on the keyboard model: With Genos or Tyros5 you can use the USB Storage Mode to access the "Expansion" folder from the computer. This way you can copy several Styles at once from the individual Pack folders.

On your S970 you could use the Yamaha "MusicSoft Downloader" program (if you are on a Windows PC). You should can access the "Expansion" folder in the User drive in the same way as the other folders like "REGIST", "SONG" etc. Please note, however, that the file transfer with the MusicSoft Downloader takes place via (USB-)MIDI and is therefore relatively SLOW.

By the way: You do NOT have to go to the Style Creator to save the currently loaded Style again (e.g. a Style from an Expansion Pack):

Simply open the Style Selection Display (press "E" button in the Main display). Now make sure that "Menu 2" is displayed at the bottom right, choose a storage location / folder outside of the Expansion folder and press "Save". The best thing to do is to save the Styles on the USB stick, because the User drive on the S970 is unfortunately very small (only 13 MB).

P.S.
If the Pack in question is in the non-protected .ppf format or you have a .ppi file of the Pack, you can extract the Styles easily using the "StyleExtractor V1.0.0.5" program:
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=44290.0;attach=27363

(Styles contained in protected files (.cpf / .cpi) cannot be extracted in this way.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 06:12:27 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline NASAMike

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 07:06:39 PM »
Thanks, I downloaded Musicsoft downloader but when attempt to MOVE a Style from the Greetings from Italy Expansion Pack I get a "Cannot Access the Drive" message.

Also when I load a Style from the Expansion Pack in "E" the Save Function is grayed out on Menu 2.  I have to go through Style Creator to be able to save it.

Let me me know if I'm missing something.

Thx,
NASAMike

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 07:13:06 PM »
Hi NASAMike,

yes, INSIDE the Expansion folder you cannot save. Try to navigate outside of the Expansion folder first (press UP or tab to USB drive). Then, as already mentioned above, the SAVE button should work.

I will check the method with MusicSoft Downloader (MSD) again (but I only have Genos and Tyros5) ...

P.S.
You can also right-click in the MSD for the Copy & Paste commands.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 07:22:17 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)