Author Topic: Multi track audio question  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Ken Stenzel

Multi track audio question
« on: February 06, 2024, 05:58:29 PM »
Is there any way I can change the key in a previously recorded multi track audio file?
My goal is to adapt a recorded file to fit a new vocalist without rerecording the whole song
Kenneth Stenzel

Offline BogdanH

Re: Multi track audio question
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2024, 07:33:26 PM »
hi Ken,
That is possible for some small degree ("small" means up to +/- 2 semitones), by simply changing the speed of the audio file. But if you need more than 2 semitones, then this doesn't work well, because the change of tempo becomes noticeable. Also keep in mind, that this technique changes complete sound, including drums. There are audio editors which can change the key without changing the tempo, but again: if we need more than about 2 semitones difference, then we can expect sound distortion.
In short: I think it's better to re-record the song as midi file -that way you can easily modify it later if necessary.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2024, 11:53:43 PM »
Genos can play back audio files in a transposed key without affecting the speed or the sounds. It is still the case though that the more you speed up or down, the more distortion you introduce.
Genos

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 12:47:04 AM »
Hi Ken --

If the keyboard's built-in pitch transpose has artifacts or just plain hurts your ears,  :) there are computer-based programs which transpose without affecting tempo. Yamaha's audio transpose is performed in real-time as the audio plays. Computer-based programs don't run in real-time and can take more (wall clock) time to product a better quality result.

Hope this suggestion helps -- pj

Offline Dave Nuttall

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2024, 02:43:00 PM »
Is there any way I can change the key in a previously recorded multi track audio file?
My goal is to adapt a recorded file to fit a new vocalist without rerecording the whole song

Ken,
The TMJ Software program "Song Surgeon" will change the key and other aspects (i.e. tempo) assuming the audio file has been mixed down to stereo/2 tracks.   They offer a free demo and the program is available for Apple or Windows.   

Dave
Genos, ProTools, Cubase AI10, Win10,  BIAB-2022, Sibelius Ultimate, MixMaster, PRSUTI, StyleMagic, StyleWorks, and Baldwin SF-10 acoustic piano.