Author Topic: US YEM and EU YEM and cpi trouble  (Read 3546 times)

Offline NASAMike

US YEM and EU YEM and cpi trouble
« on: November 08, 2020, 12:28:33 AM »
When I got to the US site to update YEM it has version 2.3.2 but on the EU site it's 2.7.   

Anyone know if it matters?

I'm in the US.

Having trouble with cpi files.  Getting "Complete Installation may not be possible if there is not enough space available in the Instrument's User Drive.

Note that I have some Packs installed in the keyboard now.  Do I need to delete those to even get the cpi to save on the USB?

Thx,
NASAMike

Offline overover

Re: US YEM and EU YEM and cpi trouble
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 02:35:50 AM »
When I got to the US site to update YEM it has version 2.3.2 but on the EU site it's 2.7.   

Anyone know if it matters? I'm in the US. ...

Hi NASAMike,

no, that doesn't matter. You can download the YEM V2.7.0 from any Yamaha site around the world.

BUT the current YEM version 2.7.0 is also available for download on the US Yamaha website, e.g. on the S970 download page at "Firmware / Software" at the top or on the support page:
>>> https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-s970/downloads.html#product-tabs
>>> https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/index.html?c=keyboards&k=expansion

The fact that the old YEM version 2.3.2 is listed next to the 2.7.0 is probably due to the fact that this is the last version that Windows Vista supports. The last version that supports Windows 7 is V2.6.0, and support for the "old" Windows 8 ends with V2.4.0.

You should definitely install the latest version 2.7.0. This supports Windows 10 and 8.1, but only 64-bit. (If you have a 32-bit Windows 10 or 8.1 system, you need YEM V2.6.0.)

Note: Before updating to 2.7.0 on a Windows 10 (or 8.1) 64-bit System, you should uninstall the previous YEM version. If you install the 2.7.0 "over" the old version, it will be installed into the old 32-bit YEM program folder ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Yamaha\Expansion Manager\"). When you uninstall the old version first, the 2.7.0 is correctly installed into the 64-bit program folder ("C:\Program Files\Yamaha\Expansion Manager\").

... Having trouble with cpi files.  Getting "Complete Installation may not be possible if there is not enough space available in the Instrument's User Drive.

Note that I have some Packs installed in the keyboard now.  Do I need to delete those to even get the cpi to save on the USB? ...

You don't have to "delete" the previous installed Packs from the keyboard (there is no way of doing this at all ;) ). But you have probably saved a lot of files in the User drive of your S970 (e.g. Styles or MIDI song files), and therefore there is not enough space there to store all the necessary files in the expansion folder (which is located also within the User drive). (Unfortunately, the User drive is only 13 MB on the S970 ...)

I recommend you to copy all the Styles and MIDI files that are in your User drive onto a USB stick, and the delete those Styles and MIDI files from the User drive. Then there should be enough space in the User drive for the Pack Installation to work properly. (Registration Bank files, Multi Pad Bank files and User Voice files are relatively small, so usually you do NOT need to delete them from the User drive.)

Note: There are also two known problems that saving the Pack Installation file (.cpi/.ppi) fails with YEM V2.7.0:

Please make sure that there is no previous .cpi or .ppi file at the selected storage location (usually the USB stick). DELETE an old .cpi/.ppi on the USB stick MANUALLY beforehand, because under certain circumstances the YEM has problems correctly overwriting the previous .cpi / .ppi of the same name.

2. If you have downloaded the "now free" Packs from "shop.usa.yamaha.com": Some of these Packs were buggy when they were first uploaded by Yamaha. Corrected versions of these packs have now been uploaded. If you still have problems with saving the Pack install file correctly, I recommend that you download all of these "now free" Packs again from the Yamaha shop. It is important that you DO NOT use the previous links in "My Library", but put the desired Packs into the shopping cart again, proceed to checkout again, place your order again, and then use the NEW download links (at the top of the list in "My Library").

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 03:29:47 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Joe H

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 06:03:51 PM »
Chris,

What is the last version of YEM that will run on Windows 7?

Thanks in advance

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 11:26:10 PM »
I believe it is 2.6.0

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 11:30:09 PM »
Chris,

What is the last version of YEM that will run on Windows 7?

Thanks in advance

Joe H

Hi Joe,

According to version history, the last Windows 7 compatible YEM version is V2.6.0 (as already mentioned by Eileen).

Please note that newer Packs created with V2.8.x can only be used from YEM V2.8.1 (e.g. the "Romance Latino" Pack).

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 11:31:20 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

CSITexas

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 07:34:56 PM »
I have a macOS Monterey version 12.1 - The Yamaha site for downloading YEM recommends do not download YEM with versions above 10.8 or 11.0 until Yamaha has had a chance to verify it will work with this new version. Has anyone heard when Yamaha will complete their evaluation?

Thank you
Robert

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 07:54:45 PM »
I have a macOS Monterey version 12.1 - The Yamaha site for downloading YEM recommends do not download YEM with versions above 10.8 or 11.0 until Yamaha has had a chance to verify it will work with this new version. Has anyone heard when Yamaha will complete their evaluation?

Thank you
Robert

Hi Robert,

On the "YEM for Mac" download site is the following note:

"We are in the process of verifying compatibility with macOS Monterey (12).
We recommend that you refrain from updating to macOS Monterey until compatibility has been confirmed."

>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/yem_mac.html

Users who are currently using an older macOS version should therefore wait until Yamaha confirms compatibility. However, if you are already on macOS Monterey (12), I would simply try the current YEM version 2.8.1: Either it works on your Mac or it doesn't. If not, you will have no choice but to wait for a corresponding YEM update that is compatible with Monterey.

Best regards,
Chris

The following users thanked this post: jwyvern