Author Topic: New SX900  (Read 2021 times)

Offline Arnie

New SX900
« on: November 05, 2020, 03:27:49 PM »
Hi All.  Having had my SX900 for a couple of weeks now and have just completed my first back up and saved to USB connected to the keyboard USB1. When checking USB after whilst in the Keyboard I can't see back up file, but when I put USB into the laptop, backUp shows on USB as PSR-SX900.bup. Is there a way to see whilst in the keyboard? also reading the time and date on the keyboard needs to be set whilst using WiFi dongle, is there any other way around that to avoid buying one just to set the date.   Any help is appreciated.

Regards   Arnie

Offline iulistil2

Re: New SX900
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 03:31:25 PM »
Hello! The file is not visible, it is enough to give the command RESTORE.

Offline Arnie

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 07:44:12 PM »
Thanks, iulistil2 for reply

Regards   Arnie

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 05:38:35 AM »
... Having had my SX900 for a couple of weeks now and have just completed my first back up and saved to USB connected to the keyboard USB1. When checking USB after whilst in the Keyboard I can't see back up file, but when I put USB into the laptop, backUp shows on USB as PSR-SX900.bup. Is there a way to see whilst in the keyboard? ...

Hi Arnie,

on Yamaha keyboards, all File Selection displays are FILTERED by the file type. This means, in the Style Selection display you can see only Style files, in Voice Selection display only Voice files, and so on. And since a fixed filename is used for the Backup file, the "Backup" and "Restore" functions do not have their own File Section display. This means the Backup file (e.g. "Genos.bup" for the Genos or "PSR-SX900.bup" for the SX900 cannot be displayed anywhere directly on the keyboard.

Note: In addition to the "Backup" function (saving the .bup file) I recommend to save also the "Setup Files" (just below the "Backup/Restore" buttons). These Files contain your "System", "MIDI" or "User Effect" settings. For these files, you can use different filenames. You can save these Setup files to a USB stick (e.g. into a folder called "SYSTEM"). I always save the same Setup files also to the USER drive. (The File Selection displays are FILTERED here again, so you will see only ONE Setup file type at a time!)

Note also: The .bup Backup file contains the User defined System, MIDI and User Effect settings as well as the content of the User drive (including OR excluding AUDIO files). But you cannot do anything with such a .bup Backup file except restoring ALL Data at once. Therefore I is recommended to always copy important file from your User drive also manually onto a USB stick. Since SX models do not have a "USB Storage Mode" (as known from Genos), you have to copy the different filetypes (e.g. Styles, Songs, Voices, Multipads) separately.

... the time and date on the keyboard needs to be set whilst using WiFi dongle, is there any other way around that to avoid buying one just to set the date. ...
There is no way to set time and date without the Yamaha USB Wi-Fi adapter "UD-WD01" is connected to the SX900 (and connected by "Infrastructure Mode" to your local Wi-Fi network). Also, the SX900 does not really have an internal CLOCK. Time and date settings are lost after some time without Wi-Fi connection.

P.S.
With the USB Wi-Fi adapter, Expansion content can be transferred wirelessly from the YEM to the SX900. This is actually the main purpose.

The Wi-Fi adapter can also be used to establish a wireless MIDI connection, e.g. with an iPad or iPhone. But a MIDI-over-Wi-Fi connection is, in principle, relatively susceptible to interference, so I don't find it ideal for live operation. For the most stable wireless MIDI connection possible, I therefore recommend using a MIDI-over-Bluetooth-LE adapter (connected to the DIN-MIDI sockets), e.g. the Yamaha MD-BT01. (The advantage over using the USB Bluetooth adapter "UD-BT01" is that with the "MD-BT01" no additional external power adapter is necessary (because the supply voltage is provided directly from the DIN MIDI OUT socket of the keyboard).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 05:40:22 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Arnie

Offline Arnie

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 12:08:20 PM »
Thanks, Chris for this perfect reply. Now understand fully and also will take on board to do a manual back up as well to USB of other important files plus I will also now save the 3 below as well.  Excellent Chris.

Regards  Arnie

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 04:21:55 PM »
Thanks, Chris for this perfect reply. Now understand fully and also will take on board to do a manual back up as well to USB of other important files plus I will also now save the 3 below as well.  Excellent Chris. ...

Thanks, Arnie, for your kind and detailed feedback!

I'm glad to could help you! :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)