Author Topic: My opinion of the PSR F51  (Read 3554 times)

Online Toril S

My opinion of the PSR F51
« on: November 06, 2020, 10:39:39 PM »
Hello friends :)
I took home a PSR F51 keyboard the other day, to look at its features so I could help my friend.
My opinion: Pros: Very lightweight, only 3.6 kilos!Can run on batteries. Even the SC adaptor is light! Easy to use, all right as a first keyboard. Surprisingly good keybed!
30 demo songs, and over a hundred styles and voices. Headphone socket, that can be used to connect to a speaker or a stereo system. The sound improves somewhat with headphones, but it suffers because it doesn't have touch sensitivity.
Cons: Lousy speakers. Sustain and transpose and some other functions are "hidden", you have to press a function button and a
white key simultaniously to use those features. No socket for sustain pedal. No touch sensitivity.
Conclusion: For kids or adults who have never played keyboard this is OK to start with.

It reminds me of my PSR-47, that is 30 years old. The F51 sounds a little better, but not much!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 12:19:09 AM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline SciNote

Re: My opinion of the PSR F51
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 01:51:47 PM »
I remember checking out the PSR-F51 in a music store a while back.  I remember thinking that it seemed like it would be for someone on a very limited budget who wanted to get a keyboard with full-sized keys without going with a keyboard of unknown quality from a "no-name" company, but that for about $20 more, the PSR-E200 series keyboards were probably better.  However, I was not considering the weight and portability of the keyboard, so that maybe the F51 weighs less.

Yamaha's website has the PSR-E273 weighing "8 lb (4.0 kg, 13 oz) (not including batteries)" -- whatever that means (looks like they're mixing English and metric units -- the English-unit weight is likely 8 lbs, 13 oz), and the PSR-F51 at "3.4 kg (7 lbs 8 oz) (not including batteries)", so it appears that the F51 is, indeed, lighter, though not by a great amount.

Then, of course, there is also the little PSS-F30, which is basically a miniature PSR-F51 (right down to the color scheme of the control panel), but of course, that has mini-keys and would not really be suitable to learning how to play keyboard or piano.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 01:54:33 PM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 01:56:46 PM »
Hi Toril and SciNote,

I indeed think that the E273 is more interesting than the F51.

That said, for someone who is sure to go on playing for more than a few months, I would straightaway go for the E373 which is not a toy, but a fully-fledged instrument with lots of nice sounds and styles, touch sensitivity, arpeggios, DSPs, an integrated audio interface, the ability to connect a sustain pedal... a very nice beginner keyboard to put under the Christmas tree :)

Regards,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 02:58:01 PM »
I know that everyone has their budget limits, but not only is too low a cost  a poor instrument and not very satisfying but also means insufficient commitment. I have never known anyone who bought this kind of 'toy' stick with it even long enough to decide to upgrade  - they give up.   
Mike

Online Toril S

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 07:27:41 PM »
I returned it today, but will be able to help my friend with hers. I also discovered many YouTube videos where people performed on this keyboard. It is very affordable, and it had the Indian kit and Tabla. So I believe the little F51 is providing the opportunity to learn and practice keyboard playing to a lot of people of all ages all over the world. I returned it only because I already have the keyboards I need.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 10:54:17 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page