Author Topic: Yamaha KS-SW100 Subwoofer  (Read 13173 times)

3dc

Yamaha KS-SW100 Subwoofer
« on: October 31, 2020, 05:31:23 PM »
Hello everybody!

I wonder if anybody here is using Yamaha KS-SW100 keyboard subwoofer with SX600/700/900? There are literally no review videos on YouTube so I am wondering if its worth the price and how much can this subwoofer improve the sound from Yamaha SX keyboard speakers?

Would you say this setup would be also good for sound monitoring in music production or should I go for dedicated studio monitors? 

Thanks for help.

Offline Normanfernandez

Re: Yamaha KS-SW100 Subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 06:12:23 PM »
I can't say much about the Sub woofer.( As I haven't used it)

But using the keyboard and a sub doesn't end up being a Monitor Speaker. 

It could be better or just as same as a 2.1 Setup.

You'll require monitor speakers if you want to get into the studio line.

Reasons being
1. They are facing your ears.
2. Flat response for the most case.
3. Having the speak Subs directed to the ears will give you accurate listen.
On the other hand the sub Is good for listening.
Also can reference how it sounds on the sub.
Common technic used by Music Productions.
To test the track on Different speakers and location.

This is based on my opinion.
Hope it helps you.
Regards Norman.
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

3dc

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 06:28:31 AM »
Thanks for feedback Norman.

Its fascinating that no one in this community is using this subwoofer.  :o

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 06:33:00 AM »
If you're a Tyros or genos user you'll probably not need an extra sub.

For the mid range some of us are broke ( like me )
We can't include a sub  ;D

If there's a return policy.
Just test it out and see if it fits your needs.

Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Simone1972

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 08:24:20 AM »
I own a KS-SW100.
I've used it coupled with the PSR-S975 until last year and now with the SX900.

The magnitude of the sound you can hear is really huge....nevertheless I agree it can be a matter of personal taste.

Regards

Offline TerryE54

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 12:21:12 PM »
Hi;

I have recently changed my keyboard from a very old Tyros to the SX900 and as the Tyros had a sub woofer I automatically purchased one for this keyboard.

I have to say the sound is AMAZING and would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Hope that helps.

Offline Arnie

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 12:30:04 PM »
Hi 3dc.   I also have just bought an SX900 and also bought the subwoofer as well.  There is a big difference when connected to the KS-SW100, overall sounds better & far richer than without. As always down to personal taste but would not be without mine.
The SX900 also has a setting in the EQ section for when you are using a Subwoofer. It is a recommend from me

Regards  Arnie
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 12:49:51 PM by Arnie »

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, pcaetanus

3dc

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 01:32:51 PM »
Thanks for feedback guys! For a moment I was worried this subwoofer was some sort of a Yamaha mistake. :)

@Norman: I am going to mix my music trough studio headphones anyway. I just hate to buy tons of expensive gear I would rarely use. The SX keyboard with subwoofer would be an ideal setup for me since these keyboards have their own audio interface build in and they seems to be good enough as midi controller for FL Studio. Just like you I am all about minimalism ( severe budget control ) in music production.  ;D ;D 

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 04:16:36 PM »
Thanks for feedback guys! For a moment I was worried this subwoofer was some sort of a Yamaha mistake. :)

@Norman: I am going to mix my music trough studio headphones anyway. I just hate to buy tons of expensive gear I would rarely use. The SX keyboard with subwoofer would be an ideal setup for me since these keyboards have their own audio interface build in and they seems to be good enough as midi controller for FL Studio. Just like you I am all about minimalism ( severe budget control ) in music production.  ;D ;D

Sounds good!
I was going to recommend Headphones but I didn't know if that was going way off topic.

Headphones would also reduce the studio setup cost. 

Glad that you have come to a conclusion.
Regards Norman.

Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline rene1242

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 05:25:01 PM »
Ive got it on my s775 and the sx900 it makes a huge difference my only dissapoinment is the power button is on the back other than that its a powerful and clear subwoofer for its size
"SynthGrooves"

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 06:09:05 PM »
100 W RMS is no joke.

Cubase - Kontakt6

The following users thanked this post: casiokid

Offline Enildo

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2020, 11:13:42 AM »
With all this talk I think I'm going to buy mine.  ;D ;D ;D
I've done events where I used only the built-in speakers on the keyboard, but I always thought there was a little lack of strength in the sound.
I think with YKS I will have what I want, the minimum equipment, light weight to carry and a good sound to perform at certain shows!

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline Toril S

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2020, 04:36:12 PM »
Enildo, for gigs you need a PA system, like the Bose L1 compact line array system.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2020, 04:48:07 PM »
Sub-Bass-Units...To get it to perform at its best. My experience !
To get a low clean Bass Sound without upper bass boom.
Setting Up...Listening to BASS UNIT only with no additional speakers.
We are wanting low clean frequency's.
Raise a few inches off the floor. Trial and error.
Keep away from room walls and corners.  Move a few inches each time and test.
Sound also changes with the position you sit in relationship to the Sub-Bass.
DGX670

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline overover

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2020, 10:13:16 PM »
... The SX keyboard with subwoofer would be an ideal setup for me since these keyboards have their own audio interface build in and they seems to be good enough as midi controller for FL Studio. Just like you I am all about minimalism ( severe budget control ) in music production.  ;D ;D

Hi 3dc,

please note: Only the (relatively) new SX600 has a built-in USB AUDIO interface. SX900/700, Genos and also all previous Tyros or PSR-S models do NOT have a USB AUDIO Interface.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2020, 10:23:04 PM »
That is because these keyboards have Hard Drives fitted so no need to record to USB.

Offline overover

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2020, 10:32:03 PM »
That is because these keyboards have Hard Drives fitted so no need to record to USB.

Hi Eileen,

I think you have misunderstood me:

With "built-in USB AUDIO Interface" is meant the possibility of establishing an digital AUDIO IN / OUT connection to a computer (for recording purposes with a DAW like Cubase) via the USB-to-Host connection (instead of using an additional, external Audio Interface).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 10:50:22 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

3dc

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2020, 07:22:29 AM »
Hi 3dc,

please note: Only the (relatively) new SX600 has a built-in USB AUDIO interface. SX900/700, Genos and also all previous Tyros or PSR-S models do NOT have a USB AUDIO Interface.

Best regards,
Chris

Huh! Thanks for info. Baffling if you consider that older and much simpler E463 does have an audio interface.  :o

By the way I am reading the SX600 manual and it says it can be set in Midi Controller mode. Does that mean the two rotating buttons can be reassigned in DAW? Can anybody confirm this? 

Tyros1

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2020, 08:53:54 AM »
As i can see my SX 700 dosent have sub out?
Only SX 900 have this.
Its it possible to connect a sub to SX 700 then?

Offline overover

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2020, 09:31:31 AM »
As i can see my SX 700 dosent have sub out?
Only SX 900 have this.
Its it possible to connect a sub to SX 700 then?

Hi Tyros1,

the "SUB / AUX OUT" sockets of the SX900 are not used to connect an external Subwoofer. You can use these sockets e.g. to output the bass and the bass drum separately (e.g. for live or studio applications in connection with an external mixer). Or you can use these sockets as an additional Stereo Output that outputs the same signal as the MAIN Outputs.

Important: The signal at the "SUB / AUX OUT" sockets is always output at a fixed volume. So it is NOT influenced by the Master Volume controller.

An external, active Mono Subwoofer, such as the Yamaha KS-SW100, is simply connected to the left MAIN OUT socket (L / L + R). As long as no plug is connected to the MAIN OUT R, a MONO signal is output at the left socket. And of course the whole thing also works e.g. on the SX700. :)

Then set the desired volume of the sub-bass frequencies on the Subwoofer (once). You then only control the overall volume via the Master Volume of the keyboard.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 09:37:16 AM by overover »

Offline Enildo

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2020, 10:15:46 AM »
Enildo, for gigs you need a PA system, like the Bose L1 compact line array system.

Hello Toril!

Yes, I already have a sound system with two boxes that have about 300w RMS each, for my Gigs.
But depending on the location, such as apartments, home rooms, small meetings, etc., only the SX900 speakers are needed.
I just need a little reinforcement and I think the Yamaha KS will give me the little bit I need.
When buying a pair of Bose L1, it would be a dream for me, but it is far from my budget or what I intend to spend to have a better sound system.
My goal today is to replace my speakers with the JBL Eon One, which has the same system as the Boses L1 and at half the price and a sound quality (bass, treble, SPL, etc.) highly praised.

Hug Toril!
Enildo
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 10:17:28 AM by Enildo »

The following users thanked this post: pcaetanus

Offline Enildo

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2020, 10:24:34 AM »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2020, 10:30:57 AM »
Enildo, yes, the Bose speakers are rather expensive!!!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Totomo

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2020, 11:59:59 AM »
The KSSW100 is only 50watts sub.

How about give a look on Edifier S350db 2.1 system .

My Sx900 pair with Edifier S1000 mk ll, lot of low end in my practice room and no harsh tone issue at near field listening  .  But, the S2000 mk lll has more output , more low end and better hI-end for wide field listening.

Hopehelp

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2020, 12:12:16 PM »
An external, active Mono Subwoofer, such as the Yamaha KS-SW100, is simply connected to the left MAIN OUT socket (L / L + R). As long as no plug is connected to the MAIN OUT R, a MONO signal is output at the left socket. And of course the whole thing also works e.g. on the SX700. :)

The Yamaha KS-SW100 is only suitable to extend the bass fundament of the internal keyboard speakers. I prefer to use a Fostex Submini 2 with my SX600. The Fostex woofer has a stereo input and output. So I could use it with external speakers too (what I don't need at the moment).

Offline Enildo

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2020, 08:03:19 PM »
With all this talk I think I'm going to buy mine.  ;D ;D ;D
I've done events where I used only the built-in speakers on the keyboard, but I always thought there was a little lack of strength in the sound.
I think with YKS I will have what I want, the minimum equipment, light weight to carry and a good sound to perform at certain shows!

Enildo

Hello everybody

My KS SW100 arrived this week. It really makes a big difference.
For some events in apartments and places where people don't want a lot of noise, I will just use the keyboard and it.
I didn't like the configuration for Subwoofer that comes in the preset, so I made my own configuration.

Enildo

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 08:05:02 PM by Enildo »

Offline Totomo

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2020, 04:05:29 PM »
I try all KS-SW100 ,NS-SW050 and NS-SW100 , end up with 10in driver NS-SW100.

Actually both KSSW100 and NSSW050 has no different, they has same 8 in driver, same working frequency range ,same size and weight. But weird the KS price are in between NS050 and NS100.
Only KSSW100  has 6.3mmjack/ RCA cable include in the box.

I dint found much sound different between NSSW100 with both KSSW100 and NSSW050 , but NSSW100 has more juicy low end while use the style like Dance and DJ .
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 04:09:53 PM by Totomo »

Offline Totomo

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2020, 05:03:52 AM »
My EQ tweak for SX900 onboard speaker with NS-SW100.

I tweak 2 set of EQ , one are modified from GENOS EQ-GOLD.  The modified EQ-GOLD sound more HiFi-ist , meanwhile the another one sound more full body to my ear.

I also create a compressor setting to thicken up  " Upper Lo-MID and Lower MID " tone a bit . 

Sub woofer level knob are set around 5 -6 possition for my taste.

So far, i able get loud clean and clear sound from the SX900 while volume around 3 - 4 o'clock without fart/distort problem on Onboard Speaker.  Except 1 of the Elec Piano sound from Legacy bank get rattling when playing on LOW NOTE with sustain engage .  I recommend volume around 1 - 2 o'clock for comfort listering without damage hearing.

Another issue i meet is factory Concert Piano sound get lost while mix with some heavy/aggressive style . Will try to tweak the piano sound soon.

Hope you guys who own SX900 + SW100 enjoy with my EQ setting.

Edit.
I dont know why cant upload the attachment.

GENOUS EQ-GOLD/SW100
110hz            -2db
315hz    9.7   +5db
560hz    5.2   +4db
800hz    6.2   +2db
1.6khz   9.4   +1db
3.6khz   6.5   +1db
400hz   12.0  +5db
4.0khz          +7db

SX900/SW100
125hz            -2db
250hz    2.4   +3db
450hz    2.3   +2db
700hz    2.0   +2db
1.6khz   3.4   +2db
2.8khz   1.6   +3db
5.6khz   1.5   +4db
8.0khz           +3db

Comperssor  SW100
Comp         7
Texture     23
Output      60
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 05:22:35 AM by Totomo »

glness

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2020, 03:10:41 AM »
I received my Yamaha KS-SW100 Subwoofer yesterday for my SX900. I took the subwoofer out of the box, plugged it into the wall socket, ran the cable from the subwoofer to my Main Output (L/L+R) jack on the back of the keyboard, turned the subwoofer on, and started to play. I was absolutely blown away by the sound richness it immediately added. I will probably make some EQ adjustments in the days ahead, but straight out of the box, plug-and-play, I was very impressed. This was for a home set-up, and I realize musical tastes vary quite a bit, but I, for one, was pleasantly surprised with what this subwoofer added to the already great sound produced by the internal speakers of the SX900.

Offline Totomo

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2020, 04:11:02 AM »
After couple weeks on EQ tweak, i found that my previous EQ setting (especially the Genos EQ) still sound little harsh and lacking something on 300hz ~ 500hz frequency range from SX900 onboard speaker, but no problem with external speaker . 

Here is my finetune EQ for SX900 onboard speaker matching SW100.

100hz            +2db
250hz    1.6   +2db
450hz    1.9   +6db
700hz    2.0   +2db
1.6khz   1.6   +1db
2.8khz   1.4   +2db
5.6khz   1.8   +3db
8khz             +2db

SW100 Volume on 5.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 04:32:45 AM by Totomo »

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, pcaetanus

Tyros1

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2021, 08:47:25 AM »
i have a SX 700 and Yamaha p-125 Piano and i use only the internal speakers in both.
If i want to connect Yamaha subwoofer too both of them  - is it possibel too connect them both at the same time??     

Offline Christopher Fernandes

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2021, 03:57:19 PM »
Just bought one yesterday... totally worth the money if you ask me. The difference it made is astounding! The bass, kick drums really give that "thump" which is shockingly missing with just the onboard speakers.

The onboard Yamaha speakers on the SX900 are really good especially at the highs but it did miss the deep bass right when I heard it at first. The subwoofer adds the missing "thump" (connected to the dedicated sub out) balances out pretty well. Would totally recommend it to anyone who has a taste in deep bass.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 04:11:24 PM by Christopher Fernandes »
Current Instruments: Yamaha PSR-SX900/Epiphone DR100 AG

Gear: Yamaha KS-SW100 Subwoofer

Past Instruments: PSR-E413
Played: All Yamaha PSR-S, KORG PA700

Offline overover

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2021, 07:05:02 PM »
i have a SX 700 and Yamaha p-125 Piano and i use only the internal speakers in both.
If i want to connect Yamaha subwoofer too both of them  - is it possibel too connect them both at the same time??     

Hi Tyros1,

you can try a simple RCA Y-cable (mono):

Connect this cable to the RCA Input socket of the KS-SW100 subwoofer, and use two identical "6.3 mm mono jack plug to RCA plug" cables connected to the SX700's "Main Output L/L+R" socket and to the P-105's "Aux Out L/L+R" socket.

Best regards,
Chris

Lucille Chung

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2021, 12:30:24 AM »
I have the KS-SW100 hooked up to my SX-900.    I have the main L / L+R going to a QSC mixer, so I have the KS hooked into SUB L+R.    Works well.   It's called a 100W subwoofer, but it's actually 50W with 100W peaks.   Not too powerful for the PSR.    Just right.

Offline chax

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2021, 01:19:54 AM »
 SX 900 WITH KS-SW100 Subwoofer

Can somebody help in giving the  EQ settings for achieving a Bass thump(as in HI FI Systems) rather than a boomy sound?
Thanks
Chax

andorra

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2021, 09:50:19 AM »

Can somebody help in giving the  EQ settings for achieving a Bass thump(as in HI FI Systems) rather than a boomy sound?
Thanks
Chax
I note that there is no tone or equalizer in a Hi FI system. As far as the commercial category is concerned, it is only ridiculed by Hi FI.  ;)

Offline overover

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2021, 01:36:55 PM »

Thanks
Chax

Hi Chax,

which Master EQ settings are you currently using on your SX900?

I recommend to try out the EQ presets "Flat" and, if available on the SX900, "With Subwoofer" (or similar). And of course don't set the Subwoofer's Volume too high.

Try out also moving the Subwoofer to (slightly) different places. (Do not place it into a corner or very close in front of a wall.)

If you use custom Master EQ settings that work ok WITHOUT the Subwoofer, but you get a "boomy" sound when you add the Subwoofer, first try the suggestions above.

If the problem persists, try the following:

Make sure that the low frequencies (up to about 300 Hz) are  not boosted too much in Master EQ.

Try to use the second or third frequency band (seen from the left) to lower the "boom" frequencies.

First you have to FIND the correct frequency: Set the Gain of the second or third frequency band to about +3 ... +5 dB and "Q" to a relatively HIGH value (e.g. 2.0) to achieve a relatively SMALL bandwidth for this EQ band.

Then try different settings for the FREQUENCY of this band to find out the main "boomy" frequency. Leave this frequency set (at which it "booms" the most), but now lower the Gain of this EQ band (e.g. to -6dB). This should remove the "boomy" frequencies (that are mostly can be found around 250 Hz).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 01:42:03 PM by overover »

Offline chax

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2021, 06:18:09 AM »
Thanks Chris
Grateful
Chax

Offline overover

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2021, 09:26:15 AM »
Thanks Chris
Grateful
Chax

Thanks for your feedback, Chax!

Best regards,
Chris

Offline chax

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2021, 11:26:09 PM »
Chris ,
You were substantially right. I made certain changes to suit my ears as much of it also depends on our ear response and it varies for everyone.
I picked up ‘Flat’ as you mentioned but made the following changes:
Main EQ:
Changed   80Hz to 32 at 9db
                4 Khz to 9db for mids
                8KHz to 9Khz at 12 db for treble
Panel Eq:
Changed     Style, ‘Low’ to 57
Compressor: off
Volume of  SX 100 Sub at 40% or max 50%.
Got very good response.
Thanks
Chax