Author Topic: PSR-SX' drawbars tones and Hammond clones : how do they compare ?  (Read 2656 times)

Offline dogendo

I play the PSR-SX700 a lot with Hammond organ sounds ; I wonder how they compare with clonewheels like Hammond xk1c, Numa organ 2, Viscount Legend or Crumar Mojo ; some of you may have been able to make that comparison side by side.
What's your opinion ? Is adding a Clonewheel to a PSR-SX a good idea  ?

Chelsea 4023

Re: PSR-SX' drawbars tones and Hammond clones : how do they compare ?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 04:07:59 PM »
Dear Dogendo,

I have a Korg PA4X and it sit's above a Viscount Legend Live. The difference on clone organ tones (and the leslie sim) is night and day. Please don't let anybody tell you differently. I'll probably upgrade to a PA5X when it comes out at the end of next year, dependant on it having a 'clone quality' flute section. I'll probably go for a freestanding 76 note version and get a Yamaha SX900 to go on top of the Viscount Legend. That way I get the best of both worlds.
I have not had a chance to audition the flute sounds on the SX900 but the Genos flutes just sounded o.k. to me.

Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline dogendo

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 08:00:48 PM »
Thank you Chelsea4023 for your answer which I discovered very late.
You confirm me in the idea that a clonewheel is a good idea especially as I do not like virtual drawbars on the touch screen; I find them unusable live

Offline kbrkr

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 10:53:18 PM »
The Hammond emulation in the PSR SX900 and the Genos are very poor.  There is no C3 Modulation, the Leslie sounds like a machine gun at high speed, there is no customization or fine tuning. 

The Pa4x is good, but is based on the CX3 and you need to have that taste.  Roland has excellent emulation.   I really liked the Nord Stage Compact 73, but if you want to add emulation to your SX900, check out this external module, it is very very authentic and highly customizable:

https://shop.keyboardpartner.de/HX3-Description

http://keyboardpartner.remotewebaccess.com/Files/Demo%20Videos/Lutz%20Krajenski/CaM_rotor_cv_lutz.mp3
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 10:54:58 PM by kbrkr »