Author Topic: Touch screen hood?  (Read 2771 times)

MrRich

Touch screen hood?
« on: December 16, 2021, 01:44:25 PM »
Hey all,
Does anyone know where I can purchase a screen hood for the SX900? I use a lamp over my music stand and no matter where I clip it or how I angle it, I get a partial or full washout of the screen. I've tried the usual tricks like sitting higher or lower, or at different angles to the screen, but none of that helps much. I also tried making a craft paper hood which worked well but is a bit unsightly and has to be taped to the keyboard....not my favorite thing to do. I've seen one advertised for the Genos. Does that one work on the SX900 too? Thanks for all the help!

Offline muzicman147

Re: Touch screen hood?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 03:04:36 PM »
The sx900 screen is only 7in, where as the Genos has a 9in screen, so I doubt you could use the Genos one.
May I suggest you contact the guy on E bay and ask him if he would consider making you one to fit.
He appears to be the only one selling these on the web that I can find. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324881019094?hash=item4ba46af0d6:g:cCcAAOSwZNleE7fq
Good Luck
Drew

Offline Jeff_M

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 02:24:56 AM »
I made one out of cardboard and it worked well enough that I made it out of sheet metal.  I got the idea somewhere on the net, trouble is I can't remember where.  Snugs right under the music rack and really does the trick.  I'll send a pic if you like. 

Edit:  Here's where I got the idea:  https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?topic=58174.0
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 03:27:36 AM by Jeff_M »

Divemaster

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 12:19:45 PM »
Hi MrRich

Like you I had the same problem with lamp glare onto the SX screen.

I have the L7B stand from my older Tyros, and my lamp is attached to it by a simple homemade bracket. See picture.

To get around the glare issue, I removed the keyboard, and taped 2 pieces of 22mm pipe insulation foam to the rear top of the stand.

Replacing the keyboard, it now sits flat at the front, but is elevated at the rear. It sits firm, with no movement, and makes viewing the screen far easier. The glare has been eliminated from my normal playing position, but the lamp still gives plenty of illumination for my music score. I have reworked the music rest so that it lies further away with a couple of pieces of stiff card.

My music lamp is actually made from part of an old letter box inner door shield. I hate throwing stuff away. Everything has a use.

It's a cheap easy fix, and may well work for you. Hope it helps anyway.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline YammyFan

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 10:19:25 PM »
My friend has her SX 900 sitting flat on a table. She  said that she is going to put a book under the back of her keyboard. Maybe that will get over her problem.

Divemaster

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2021, 11:06:21 AM »
Anything, really that elevates the screen at the rear will do the job.

I can't think why Yamaha went with the 'flat screen' idea, Tyros had the angled screen with a contrast wheel.
I took advice from a colleague of mine who told me when I bought the Tyros that in order to prolong longevity of the screen he never folded his flat unless he was transporting it. Apparently, if you constantly open and shut the screen over a period, the ribbon cable from case to screen breaks, giving rise to a costly repair. So I kept mine raised wherever possible.

Live Musician Newbie

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 04:12:08 PM »
Hi MrRich

My two cents
1. Can you get a screen guard Transparent plastic ones, similar to those used to cover Phone displays these days? (Choose a Matt surfaced)
Your challenge would be to get the right size .. maybe check if there is one for a tablet and trim it to your dimensions.
2. Casting your keyboard screen to a secondary display? You can use your main keyboard display for the Touch functionality.

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2021, 08:34:10 PM »
I made one out of cardboard and it worked well enough that I made it out of sheet metal.  I got the idea somewhere on the net, trouble is I can't remember where.  Snugs right under the music rack and really does the trick.  I'll send a pic if you like. 

Edit:  Here's where I got the idea:  https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?topic=58174.0

Hi Jeff, I'm glad you liked my idea, I tell everyone else that my solution is cheap, simple and functional (I swear !! I'm a modest person ... lol). The problem is solvable and within everyone's reach, with a pinch of dexterity, but I think that with a 3D printer someone could make it even more professional. The problems I had with the SX900 did not allow me to improve the project which remains a cardboard shape made from an Amazon box (just to understand) and covered with a black adhesive film. As soon as I have time I will look for a thin black plastic sheet and I will make a new version, aesthetically more beautiful. You will notice from the photos that I have left a rear flap that fits between the music rest and the keyboard and keeps everything well fixed.
In the future, Yamaha should take a cue and make it for those who don't have a lot of manual skills. In my case the only "drawback" is that the keyboard is in a retractable desk that I close after playing and that forces me to remove the music rest and the screen every time, but for those who do not have this problem the solution is perfect, and there is no risk of scratching the SX900. On the new version I will apply a sticker with the Yamaha brand and it will be a real must. ;D
Pietro
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 08:37:20 PM by Aquilauno »

Divemaster

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2021, 08:39:28 PM »
Hi MrRich

My two cents
1. Can you get a screen guard Transparent plastic ones, similar to those used to cover Phone displays these days? (Choose a Matt surfaced)
Your challenge would be to get the right size .. maybe check if there is one for a tablet and trim it to your dimensions.
2. Casting your keyboard screen to a secondary display? You can use your main keyboard display for the Touch functionality.

I already use a sheet of OHP film for this very purpose. You can get a pack of 10xA4 sheets for very little money, and cut them to size, thus preventing finger marks all over the screen. A lot of stationers and Ebay still stock OHP (Overhead projector) sheets. A cheap and easy solution.

AndyMark

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2021, 07:48:08 PM »
Hi,
Here is my simple and effective way to glare screen. I made the screen protector out of cardboard with the correct thickness and color. The cover is soft and flexible, will not cut your hand.
The effectiveness of such a cover is very good. It is a very simple solution, no less effective than the tilt screen. The cover holds up perfectly.
I believe the manufacturer of the instrument should supply this type of screen protector, just as they supply the sheet music. The material from which it is made, the method of attachment and the positioning of the cover may be different, e.g. in a specially made slot or pocket (especially in the case of a Genos instrument). The cover should be made of a soft and flexible material.
For this instrument I made a cover of black cardboard with a thickness of 300gsm (300g / m2) with dimensions of 240mmx170mm. The dimensions of the shield can be set as needed to create the desired shadow on the screen.
I slide the cover under the desktop mounted on the keyboard. After the cardboard is folded properly, you can get an effective cover, which can be moved a little to the left or right. I show it on short films (to choose from):

file size 5.2 MB:
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ahba04wX77dugQEgowFWzMDuC7n6?e=6SmZZ2

file size 75.7 MB:
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ahba04wX77dugQb7PiPpSxikxjyU?e=qpAT2O
For this instrument I made a cover of gray cardboard with a thickness of 270gsm (or 300g / m2) with dimensions of 210mmx170mm. The instruments of the PSR-s series have a gap on the back between the screen and the casing. A rectangular sheet of cardboard is easily inserted into this slot. The length of the slot is 210mm, so the slide-in side of the carton has this length. After the cardboard is folded on the edge of the screen, you can get an effective cover.

I took photos of some of the cardboard boxes for sale in my country. It is a cheap and readily available material. My grandchildren use it at school in technical and art classes.

Example 1 - 2.14 MB file size:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahba04wX77dugQUOzwjhKXtK51BX?e=8YXLDP

Example 2 - 2.1 MB file size:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahba04wX77dugQS7e3tTTH2RSR-d?e=8ZGzit

I wish you all the joy of playing in the festive light.
Andy

The following users thanked this post: Pityus

Offline Jeff_M

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2021, 12:45:53 AM »
Hi Jeff, I'm glad you liked my idea....

I did like it, thanks for chiming in.  My little metal one works well; I just toss it in my gig bag for transport and it's right there when I use the keyboard.  Thanks again for your idea!!