Author Topic: How to send MIDI and audio simultaneously, and how to send vocals separately?  (Read 2804 times)

2 questions:

1. Is it possible to output audio and midi simultaneously?
2. Say you want to capture vocals on a track (by sending mic output to sub line 1) and the audio instrumental mix on a stereo track and send it to your DAW, can that be done? I tried it with my Scarlett 6i6 but did not manage to hear the vocals even though I thought I had routed the 3 inputs (1 mic, 2 instrumental lines from Left and Right) correctly through the Focusrite app.

Offline overover

Hi SingerSongwriter,

Genos has no built-in USB-AUDIO Interface. You can use the USB-to-Host connection to the computer only for USB-MIDI.

When using with Windows, and the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver is installed on the PC, you have one USB-MIDI OUT Port (Transmit) and two USB-MIDI IN Ports (Receive) for the Genos.

If you want to use the MIC Effects and/or the Vocal Harmony of the Genos, you can route the MIC to two of the SUB Line Outs, e.g. SUB 1 & 2. All other Parts are output on the MAIN Line Outs (L and R) then as usual. To record the MIC and the other Parts simultaneously on you DAW, you need an Audio Interface with at least 4 Line Inputs. Your "Scarlett 6i6" is suitable for this.

If you don't use the MIC Effects and/or the VH of the Genos, you can connect your Mic directly to one of the XLR Inputs of the Scarlett of course (and use the Effects from the DAW for the MIC).

I hope I got your question right ...

P.S.
All Line Outputs of the Genos are unbalanced. So you have to use standard TS cables for the connection to your Audio Interface. (Do NOT use balanced TRS cables!)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline DrakeM

Years ago when making my MP3 recordings, the method I used was to first create a MIDI file on the keyboard of the arrangement. Next I would send this file to my PC and record it as an MP3 file using a program like Audacity. Then I would play the midi file (turned way down) on the keyboard and sing along with the track into a mic connected directly to the PC and record the vocal.

This gave me the two separate files to mix into a program like Audacity, were you can mix the two files and add reverb to your vocal performance.

With the Yamaha keyboards we have today, you can now record your keyboard performance as a MIDI file and then record it with the WAV recorder to create the first track. Then to record your vocals you can then turn the MIDI keyboard performance WAY DOWN and sing along with the midi to record your vocals with the reverb set up on this track using the VH2.

The next step is to take the two WAV files into Audacity and line the two tracks up and mix them into the finished MP3 performance.

As I perform live (when things are normal) I take the extra time balancing each of my custom song style’s levels to my mic’s vocal settings on the keyboard. Then I make my WAV recording of the full performance using the keyboard’s recorder. I do this exact step just so I know what the audience will be hearing when doing the song at a gig.

Regards
Drake

Offline mikf

On some arranger models you can record the backing as a midi, edit it, then play back the midi and sing over it while you record together as an audio. The downside is that it doesn’t let you then post mix them as two separate tracks, the upside is it’s all on the keyboard. I think most recent models will do this. 
Mike

Offline DerekA

Remember Genos has twin-track audio files.

You can record the playing performance on track 1, then record a vocal on track 2 while listening to playback on headphones, then merge them within the keyboard itself.