Author Topic: Using the MD-BT01 with Window 10.  (Read 9360 times)

suewest

Using the MD-BT01 with Window 10.
« on: October 25, 2020, 08:28:43 PM »
Confused!
I plug the MD-BT01 into my Tyros 2, my iPhone doesn't see it unless I run visual performer then it does.
My PC doesn't see it when I look at the Bluetooth settings in the control panel.
I suspect I am not sure of what if any specific software I need or what I can send to the KB.
I am trying to send and have the kb play Midi files so I can hear them thru it.
I need a kindergarten walk thru from beginning to end.
Any and all help will be appreciated.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Using the MD-BT01 with Window 10.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 08:44:53 PM »
Confused!
I plug the MD-BT01 into my Tyros 2, my iPhone doesn't see it unless I run visual performer then it does.
My PC doesn't see it when I look at the Bluetooth settings in the control panel.
I suspect I am not sure of what if any specific software I need or what I can send to the KB.
I am trying to send and have the kb play Midi files so I can hear them thru it.
I need a kindergarten walk thru from beginning to end.
Any and all help will be appreciated.

You need software which recognizes a Bluetooth LE device.

I use SongBook+ on an IPad, and I’m sure there are others.

Cheers,
Fred I
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Online overover

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 09:52:11 PM »
Hi suewest,

since the "Anniversary Update" (in 2016) Windows 10 basically supports "Bluetooth LE" (= Bluetooth Low Energy).

But it is not as easy to establish a MIDI over Bluetooth LE connection to a MIDI app that is running on Windows 10.

You will need an additional Bluetooth LE tool like "MIDIberry". This app is free, but you can send MIDI signals only in one direction:
>>> https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/p/midiberry/9n39720h2m05?rtc=3&activetab=pivot:overviewtab

There is also the app "MIDIberry-IO for MD-BT01". This app works in both directions. (It is not free, but there is a free DEMO version.)
>>> https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/p/midiberry-io-for-md-bt01/9n6tkxwkdgll?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

You may additionally need a "Virtual loopback MIDI cable", such as "loopMIDI":
>>> https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Online overover

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 11:07:17 AM »
latest update to windows 10 stops the MD-BT01 from being detected.

Mine stopped working after the update and will not connect which needs to be done before software can see it.

Midiberry does not see it as it is not connecting in windows first

my android  phone and android tablet connect as does my IPAD so It is a windows 10 problem

Hi Muddy,

have you already updated your MD-BT01 to the latest Firmware version 1.0.5 using the "MD-BT01 / UD-BT01 Utility" app, version 1.0.6 (!) on the iPad?

Edit:
Yes, you are right: After latest Windows 10 update (version 20H2, Build 19042.572), the MD-BT01 cannot be connected to Windows anymore . (The device is found when searching for new Bluetooth devices, but shown as "Unknown". :( )

if i find a solution to this problem i will post it here.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 11:44:20 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Online overover

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 04:13:20 PM »
Using Yamaha Bluetooth LE MIDI adapters (MD-BT01 / UD-BT01) with Windows 10

Hi all,

I found the following: Since a Windows 10 Security update (from June 2019), Bluetooth LE devices that do not use their own Security Key, but the example key listed in the BT specification, can no longer be connected to Windows 10. Such BT LE devices are still displayed in Windows 10, but every connection attempt fails. To the best of my knowledge, this update (or this "new" behavior of Windows 10) CANNOT be reversed.

The only remedy is probably a corresponding Firmware update from the manufacturer of the BT LE device in question.

My question: Have any of you contacted YAMAHA about this problem by now?

Edit:
The developer of the MIDI Bridge app "MIDIberry" warns against installing the Windows 10 May 2020 update because the MD-BT01 will no longer work. Unfortunately, this is not a sensible option: YAMAHA is now required and should provide updated Firmware as soon as possible.
>>> http://newbodyfresher.linclip.com/midiberry-io-for-md-bt01

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 08:48:09 PM by overover »

Online overover

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 08:20:28 PM »
Thanks for the info and the time you took to look for it.

I have tried all week to find a solution and came across all the info you did.

The only way is to reinstall a pre update version of windows 10.

You can roll back the update if you are within 10 days of updating, sadly that has that date has passed for me.

As you say Yamaha needs to update the firmware but I dont think that will be anytime soon as it is not a main stream device for them.

There is another BLE Midi device that is similar CME Widi Master It would be interesting to see if this device still works

cheers

Muddy

Hi Muddy,

here is some additional information about "Windows 10 vs. Bluetooth LE MIDI" problem:

Please click on the following link, then scroll all the way down and read the latest comments there.
>>> http://newbodyfresher.linclip.com/archives/3

"bodyfresher" is the developer of the "MIDIberry" app. He has apparently already contacted Microsoft employees (Hanan Grinberg and Pete Brown) regarding this problem. Pete Brown has tested various BT LE MIDI adapters and there may be a solution WITHOUT a new Firmware update from Yamaha. Also see here on Pete Brown's Twitter page:
>>> https://twitter.com/Pete_Brown/status/1297632727055859713

In the current last comment (from 2020-10-15) "bodyfresher" writes that he has installed "Windows 10 Dev channel Build 20236" (from Developer Channel), and with it the pairing of the MD-BT01 as well as the "MIDIberry" and " MIDIberry-IO "perfect.

I hope that there will soon be a solution for the current customer version of Windows 10.

Best regards,
Chris

Online overover

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 12:31:06 PM »
Hi Muddy,

thanks for these details!

I'm already on the latest version 20H2 (Build 19042.572) of Windows 10 Home (64-bit)

Yesterday I updated the driver of the internal Bluetooth (4.1) module, but I still can't pair the MD-BT01 successfully.

Does your PC already support Bluetooth 5? I know that this is actually not necessary for the Yamaha MD-BT01, but according to Pete Brown (Microsoft's "MIDI Guru") it is probably easier to use the MD-BT01 with a current Windows 10 if the PC has a BT 5 capable module,

Best regards,
Chris

Online overover

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 06:41:52 PM »
... Maybe the other BLE-MIDI device (CME WIDI Master) works with the May update as that has BLE 5

Hi Muddy,

just a small update on the subject of "Bluetooth LE MIDI adapter with Windows 10":

I recently received a "CME WIDI Master" Bluetooth LE MIDI adapter from my Yamaha dealer:

First, I tried out whether the device could be paired in the Windows 10 Bluetooth settings. This initially failed (as is currently the case with the Yamaha MD-BT01).

Then I wanted to install the "WIDI" app on my iPad to check whether there was a firmware update. Unfortunately this app only runs from iOS 11 (and therefore no longer on my iPad4 with iOS 10.3.3).

Therefore I installed the Android version of the "WIDI" app on my smartphone. The "WIDI Master" adapter was immediately recognized from the app and the installed firmware version was 0.0.4.4 displayed. Now I updated the adapter to the offered version 0.0.4.6.

A new test under Windows 10 showed that the "WIDI Master", with the updated firmware, can now be properly paired. The adapter is also displayed in the Windows 10 app "MIDIberry" (free version) as MIDI IN and MIDI OUT devices (see also the attached picture).

So, I think that the problem with the MD-BT01 could also be fixed with a firmware update, but unfortunately something like this always takes far too long with Yamaha ... :(

P.S.
I tried to flash the MD-BT01 with the WIDI Master firmware (the MD-BT01 is recognized in the WIDI app and the update is offered), but, as was to be expected, I was NOT able to flash the "foreign" firmware onto the Yamaha adapter. ;)

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 06:49:30 PM by overover »