Author Topic: Help with keyboard harmony please  (Read 2640 times)

Offline Ray

Help with keyboard harmony please
« on: October 27, 2020, 07:00:46 AM »
I have the 809, and coming from a Tyros, use all the similar features, I play a lot using Keyboard Harmony, (single finger  right hand, full 3/4 finger chords left hand, )with rhythm etc. I notice at times, using Home theatre organ in particular, set on Block or 4 way close, playing 8va, a note will drop almost out in volume, on changing chords. I have the setting touch response touch curve on soft 2. I would really appreciate any suggestion or whatever, to get the best setting using organ flutes and theatre organ on the 809, using Keyboard harmony, I’m sure it would be similar as one would use on Genos. This sense of a note dropping out is not as noticeable when a layer voice , (sax. etc, ) is used. Many thanks. Ray.

Offline Ray

Re: Help with keyboard harmony please
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 08:47:25 AM »
Further to my query, could the occasional note dropping out be because of overuse of Block Harmony. The 4 way close has a different lead note, but please any help and explanation would be greatly appreciated, perhaps there is some limitations using organ harmony, although I could not locate any guide in the manual or reference .

Offline Kenneve

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 10:35:03 AM »
Hi Ray

I have the CVP805 and like you, tend to play in the same style.
When I had lessons, some 40 odd years ago, i didn't learn how to play RH chords and often wish I did.
I listen enthralled, to people who can play handfuls of notes seemingly without any effort, or indeed without any score!
So, I have to content myself with relying on the harmony button.
My problem is, which harmony to use for a particular song?

Perhaps a member can point us in the right direction, as to how best to play the missing notes?
If I could understand the theory, of which additional notes to play, it might help, although at 83 the brain doesn't take it in like it used to!
I assume rightly or wrongly that the additional notes are the same as those in the LH chord?

Best regards Ken.

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 10:46:56 AM »
Block chord with Harmony dropping notes is lack of polyphony, that's the boards inability to handle the extra notes so some notes are eliminated. This is a common problem caused by keyboards memory...Nothing you can do, just except it or forget Harmony and learn to play extra notes in fight hand

Regarding playing more notes in right hand melody...You can play extra notes from the chord notes you are play in you left hand.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 10:52:04 AM by Graham UK »
DGX670

Offline Ray

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 11:56:38 AM »
Hi Ken, Great to hear from you, I think we contacted previously through this forum. I’m 79, so in your age bracket, thank you Graham, I do at times try the extra note in the right hand , from the notes in the chords. Graham, I see your point and thanks for your info re the occasional note dropping and lack of polyphony. I notice  this only on Block Harmony, using the Organ Flutes . Using (4 way harmony close ), gives a full sounding chord, without this problem, when using Block harmony. What I would like to know, in the Harmony section, options list the variations, with a small configuration of the notes near the top of screen, and there appears little or no difference between some. For example, 4 way close 4, has same configuration as 4way close 3, and same as 4way close 2. Lead at top, harmonies under in same order. I notice neither manual or reference book goes into more detail on these. Great talking with you, and would like any more info on these settings. I love the 809, and use it as a Genos, my cat would not be kind to a Genos, so 809 it is, with its LID. Ray.

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 12:05:53 PM »
I notice  this only on Block Harmony, using the Organ Flutes

RAY. That's because the BLOCK Harmony is wanting to use more notes.
Why Yamaha has provided such a setting when they know the boards polyphony can't handle it.???
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 12:07:19 PM by Graham UK »
DGX670

Offline Ray

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 12:30:32 PM »
Thank you Graham, I agree, it seems that Block  could have been eliminated from Organ flutes, or a notation to this effect, in the manual. I see Block is sometimes selected in one touch settings, on some sax etc. settings.