Author Topic: Problem with CVP809 registration settings  (Read 3147 times)

Offline andy a

Problem with CVP809 registration settings
« on: October 24, 2020, 01:46:38 PM »
Hi Folks,
A few months ago I bought a CVP 809, and I'm really enjoying having a piano in the house again after 45 years. I still have my Tyros 5 standing by, in the hope that gigs will resume at some point if the covid restrictions are  ever lifted.

When playing the T5, I have a bank of registrations set up with only Voice settings for each of the 1-8 regs. This allows me to play a clarinet,sax or trumpet solo, or Glenn Miller/Count Basie Big Band stuff with harmony settings.  I want to do the same on the Clavinova, but it isn't working out. For example Reg 1, I select a grand piano with a Check/Tick mark at the the Voice...no other boxes checked. With the ACMP on, I play single notes or chords with the right hand and everything is ok. I then select for Reg 2, The same piano voice, but this time I also check mark the Keyboard Harmony.  Next step is to go to Kbd Harmony via Menu, select "Block", and ensure "On" is lit. The problem is that when I switch from Reg 2, which has the Block harmony, back to Reg 1 the harmony doesn't switch off. The problem seems to be, if it is not down to something I'm doing wrong, that there is something faulty in the ON/OFF harmony switch function. Has anyone had similar problems? Perhaps someone would be kind enough to try the procedure on a CVP?
Kind regards
Andy :)

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Problem with CVP809 registration settings
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 02:06:01 PM »
Nothing is faulty. By unchecking the box in Reg 1, you told it not to make any changes to keyboard harmony. So it doesn’t.

If you want keyboard harmony changed (and turning it off is a change), you need to check the keyboard harmony box when you memorize the registration.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 03:45:22 PM »
As Fred says. Leave the harmony box checked and then just make sure the Harmony/Echo button is turned off before saving registration one.

Offline andy a

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 04:06:42 PM »
Possibly I didn't make myself clear.

REG 1  Grand Piano with no harmony selected. All is fine.

REG 2  Grand Piano with Block harmony selected and Harmony switched On, all is fine, and harmony plays.

When I then go back and  press REG 1, the Block Harmony still plays harmony, and the ON/OFF control on the Keyboard Harmony section remains "ON".   REG 1 should only have stored the  Grand Piano Voice, as no other setting has been checked in the Registration Memory.

Regards
Andy

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 04:16:28 PM »
Possibly I didn't make myself clear.

REG 1  Grand Piano with no harmony selected. All is fine.

REG 2  Grand Piano with Block harmony selected and Harmony switched On, all is fine, and harmony plays.

When I then go back and  press REG 1, the Block Harmony still plays harmony, and the ON/OFF control on the Keyboard Harmony section remains "ON".   REG 1 should only have stored the  Grand Piano Voice, as no other setting has been checked in the Registration Memory.

You made yourself clear, Andy. That's why our responses were able to perfectly identify the problem and the solution. You just need to implement the solution: re-memorize Reg 1 with the harmony button off, and the Keyboard Harmony box checked.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline andy a

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 04:44:25 PM »
Yes Fred Thank you. Just prior to receiving your second reply I had figured out the re-memorising of the Harmony ON/Off button.
My thanks to you and to Eileen for taking time to reply. Much appreciated.
Kind regards

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 09:32:22 PM »
Yes Fred Thank you. Just prior to receiving your second reply I had figured out the re-memorising of the Harmony ON/Off button.
My thanks to you and to Eileen for taking time to reply. Much appreciated.
Kind regards

Glad we could help.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ