Author Topic: Genos EQ Settings for Bose L1 Compact  (Read 2072 times)

Genos EQ Settings for Bose L1 Compact
« on: October 23, 2020, 08:22:06 AM »
After playing a Tyros 5 for some time, and getting everything sorted out with the Bose L1 Compact system, I am now having problems with the Genos settings.

There are a number of suggestions here, and elsewhere, which include boosting the bass frequency bands. It's the opposite of what is required!

Does anyone who uses a Bose L1 Compact, as a mono system, have compression and EQ settings they could share with me please?

Also, in the Tyros 5, there was a setting for the MS05 speakers, but there is nothing for the Genos equivalent. What does everyone use for this?

I have tried the "flat" setting into a traditional mixer / amp setting, but the beauty of the Bose set-up is that it's fast. One lead from the keyboard to the Bose, and you're ready to go (in theory). I do have the Bose ToneMatch mixer, but seems an unnecessary complication to the set-up.

I do have some other questions, but to keep everything simple, I will stick to one subject per post!

Offline ckobu

Re: Genos EQ Settings for Bose L1 Compact
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 08:38:48 AM »
The Bose L1 Compact is a great linear system. It doesn't need too much tuning with EQ, especially not in the bass area. It is better to leave the Flat position than to do extreme things like putting 54Hz at +6 db.
Watch my video. It may help you understand the EQ setting and stick to a well-tried rule, less is more.

https://youtu.be/vPzkYHt80jQ

My advice is to use a ToneMatch mixer because it has great preamps. This is a better option than connecting directly to L1.

Watch my video channel

Re: Genos EQ Settings for Bose L1 Compact
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 02:48:47 PM »
I use two Bose L1 Compacts with the EQ Gold user settings posted a few years back. I've never been that impressed with Tone Match and feel you can do more with the onboard EQs of the Genos or a decent mixer. The only condition with the EQ Gold settings is you need to route the Toms and Bass drum to a separate output because even with the factory Flat setting, they are way too heavy through the Bose L1 Compacts - very thumpy and overbearing.

I know the Bose aren't cheap but running mono is good for ease of setup but you'll be astounded at the sound you'll get with two because virtually every voice and style on the Genos is designed to run in stereo. Mono is dark ages technology :). On the other hand, if you're doing gigs where you sit in the corner and the ambient noise of the venue is loud, the second Bose won't make much difference. Most venues benefit from stereo though.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.