Author Topic: Speaker query  (Read 3334 times)

Offline Ray

Speaker query
« on: October 16, 2020, 03:09:18 AM »
I have the 809, and have two queries. Firstly, when I will be, soon, playing in  my medium size  community center room, seats around 50 as guide, if I face the audience, then the speaker system will face the wall, will that affect greatly the sound quality, as the speakers will not face the audience. Second query, if playing outdoors in the large garden,  a similar situation, except there are no walls. Would an extra speaker/s or monitor be a suggestion. I realise the instrument has a great in built speakers system. I will playing the instrument using most of the Genos features,  rhythms, backings, older songs for older age group, later carols.  Suggestions very much appreciated. Thank you. Ray,

Offline mikf

Re: Speaker query
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 09:26:09 AM »
Ray, I am a bit surprised by your plan to use the 809 as a gigging instrument. It is a very expensive instrument - and heavy - to be breaking down, moving about and re assembling. Not designed for this kind of use, and apart from how much effort it is, might be inviting trouble.
As far as speakers are concerned, they are very good, and quite loud, but designed for a normal room. It is impossible to know if they will be adequate without knowing room size, number of people, how quiet is the audience etc. Adding a sound system is of course possible, but now you are moving a very solid instrument AND a sound system. Getting to be like moving house.
On the plus side, seems like your area must have avoided the worst of Covid in South Australia or you wouldn’t be playing for any gatherings this side of New Year!! And you are moving into summer, while most of us are heading to a Covid winter storm!
Been in Adelaide a couple of times, doing presentations to oil companies, stayed in a nice hotel on the beach at Glenelg. It’s about 10 years ago now but really enjoyed it. Nice place to live, but it took a loooooong time to get there from Texas!!

Mike

Offline Ray

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 09:49:57 AM »
Thank you for your reply. I have moved a 560 pound Lowrey  Stardust at the same venue. It is only moving 100 metres on a specially designed trolly. The Clavinova is 82 kg. No major Covid worries here, it is marshalled well. I never mentioned dismantling the instrument,  (trolley as stated. )  just wanted to know more about sound reflection off walls.

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 10:24:08 AM »
I assumed you were bringing the CVP from your home, which normally means taking it apart / reassembling at both ends to fit in a vehicle. But just moving it locally on a trolley wouldn’t be too bad.
Impossible to predict sound reflection, but I have never found it to be a helpful thing because unless it is a room designed for sound, the reflections are often more a nuisance than positive, leading to feedback etc,  while sound absorption from soft furniture, drapes and people can have a huge effect way greater than any reflection benefit. The speakers in an 809 are fairly loud, so it should be ok with small groups , although cvp speakers really face the wrong way for typical audience playing ie designed to sit against a wall and point at the player.
Mike

Offline Ray

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 10:33:30 AM »
I forgot to add, Mike, that I’m not regular “gigging” , just a one off at retirement complex, and only as an aside, re extra speakers, I agree the instrument  has an excellent sound system as I mentioned in my first post. The instrument is not a gigging machine, as you alluded to, a few songs and old style music for oldies.
Your just posted reply seems like you suggest my back to the audience, so the sound flows direct to them , than directed to the wall.

Offline Ray

Re speaker topic, an aside why Clavinova, not Genos.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 11:05:39 AM »
As an aside to why I have a Clavinova, and not being a pianist,  some years back, I had the great Tyros 3, then the T4, finally T5. Then my wife got two Burmese kittens, sold the T5, not wanting “kittens on the keys,” so as to speak. They would have damaged the keyboard, Missed my music, so the 809 was the answer, not a Genos, but close as I can get, with all its backings etc, etc, which I use, love the larger sized 88 keys too., Mainly it has a cat proof lid. That,s it.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 12:47:40 PM »
Hello Ray! A cat proof instrument😀❤️ I would suggest the Bose L1 compact speaker array system to distribute the sound evenly to the audience. You could use this and leave the speakers of the CVP on. Then you vould have two great sound sources . The CVP809 is a great instrument, but we do not have it here in Norway. I have the styles on my Genos😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Ray

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 12:52:02 PM »
Thank you  Toril, appreciate your reply. Ray.

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 02:10:46 PM »
Actually with a nice bose sound system, the CVP would be a great gigging machine, especially for a piano player. Full size keys and keyboard, its just that you would also need two roadies to move everything ;D
Mike

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2020, 07:27:46 PM »
Hello Ray
I regularly play a CVP709 in a hall facing the congregation of 40-50 people with no extra amplification even with them singing so you shouldn’t have any problem. If there is any more than that I use a Bose L1 compact placed behind me facing the congregation and connected to the line out leaving the internal speakers of the CVP switched on. That helps me hear what is going on as well. Works well. For outside work I would say you definitely need amplification.

Regards
Roy

Offline Ray

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2020, 08:18:39 PM »
Roy, as I understand, you play facing the congregation, so the speakers don’t face them.
, is that correct. It would be nice to face the audience, and I would have thought the excellent 709 speaker system would still suffice, even if they don’t face them.  Thank you for your input, much appreciated. Ray.

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2020, 08:44:29 PM »
Hi Ray
Yes that is correct I face the congregation, the speakers face away from them, about 8 feet from the wall.

Regards
Roy

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2020, 11:06:28 PM »
Personally, I've had CVP's carted around for performances; the built in speakers are fantastic.

Here we have a stadium called BC Place (CFL games are held there); one time I was performing on a CVP and they asked me to turn down our sound system, just for the next announcement, because the CVP was overpowering the in house PA. When I told them "Sure, but there's no system... that's just the Clavinova" their jaws all hit the ground.

So, yes, it's cumbersome to move around (unless you have a flatbed, etc), but it's absolutely a live performance beast :)

Of course, the sound is better if the keys face the audience; but the 309/409/509/609/709/809 have rear facing speakers for the IAFC, and the Subwoofers on the 709/809 are facing down and omni diectional... but even facing away, it should have enough volume to fill a church :)

But if you need more clarity, either plug it into house mains, or a pair of small live PA speakers (QSC CP8, Yamaha DXR10, Mackie SRM350, JBLEon610's).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 11:09:26 PM by Amwilburn »

Offline Ray

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2020, 11:17:44 PM »
Hi Amwilburn, thank you for your reply, I agree the 809 has plenty of volume, even without adjusting the compression, and nice to learn the sub woofer position, which I didn’t know. I only have to move the instrument approx. 100  metres  to the small community centre, I have a flatbed trolley, modified with longer timber section in front to take front legs, it all sits on piece of foam.