Author Topic: Connect my Genos to my computer  (Read 5376 times)

Rubberdock

Connect my Genos to my computer
« on: October 15, 2020, 09:27:06 AM »
How do I connect my Genos to my computer.
When I turn on my Genos what button should I use?  ::) ::)

Offline ckobu

Re: Connect my Genos to my computer
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 09:53:46 AM »
It depends on what you want to do. To get started, install Drivers for Yamaha.
https://youtu.be/U9yOmmYcxxw

Then you can access the USER drive on the computer via Storage mode.
https://youtu.be/tyD_uIcYmCY

You can record in DAW via USB MIDI protocol.
https://youtu.be/vjqUzC4DqnI

You can move data from your computer to Genos via Musicsoft Downloader.
https://youtu.be/5BjSBuKEcw4
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 09:57:40 AM by ckobu »
Watch my video channel

Rubberdock

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 11:22:39 AM »
Hej ckobu

Thanks  :) :)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 11:40:01 AM »
With Genos turned off connect the cable to computer from Genos. Now hold down the PLAYLIST button while turning on the keyboard. You will now see the genos user section and can move and rename files etc.

The following users thanked this post: peterm

Rubberdock

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 12:03:40 PM »
Hej EileenL

Thanks  :) :)

Offline Dave Nuttall

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 10:56:39 AM »
You can record in DAW via USB MIDI protocol.
https://youtu.be/vjqUzC4DqnI
The URL above seems to show Cakewalk.   I have ProTools.   Over the years, I've toyed with the idea of recording in ProTools, but it seems like you need an "audio interface" and a substantial investment in soundfonts.   Can anyone declare what is needed for the least sophisticated Genos <--> ProTools (Windows10) to record/edit, etc?

TIA.
Dave
Genos, ProTools, Cubase AI10, Win10,  BIAB-2022, Sibelius Ultimate, MixMaster, PRSUTI, StyleMagic, StyleWorks, and Baldwin SF-10 acoustic piano.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 03:36:59 PM »
Why not just record on your Genos. The quality is excellent.

Offline Dave Nuttall

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 03:54:07 PM »
That is what I have always done, Eileen!  I guess as I scan the forums, I get virtually infected with "geek envy".....want to be able to do what all the "masters" are doing....don't really have a reason/need.  Just want-to!  ;D
Genos, ProTools, Cubase AI10, Win10,  BIAB-2022, Sibelius Ultimate, MixMaster, PRSUTI, StyleMagic, StyleWorks, and Baldwin SF-10 acoustic piano.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 06:22:24 PM »
I am happy just sitting down and with two hands and a Genos to produce music to keep the spirits up in these awful times. Never been one for wanting to play like the original version of a song. Like to put my own stamp on it. Good luck with you quest.

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 07:38:14 PM »
The URL above seems to show Cakewalk.   I have ProTools.   Over the years, I've toyed with the idea of recording in ProTools, but it seems like you need an "audio interface" and a substantial investment in soundfonts.   Can anyone declare what is needed for the least sophisticated Genos <--> ProTools (Windows10) to record/edit, etc?

TIA.
Dave

Hi Dave,

normally you always work on MIDI level first, even in connection with a DAW / PC. All you need, as mentioned, is a USB cable to establish a USB-MIDI connection between the keyboard and the PC. You have one MIDI Transmit Port (to control the DAW from the keyboard) and two MIDI Receive Ports (to control the keyboard's MIDI sound engine from the DAW).

Normally you control the MIDI Port 1 of the keyboard from the DAW, i.e. the SONG Parts. If, in exceptional cases, the Keyboard Parts (Left, Right 1-3) and/or the Style Parts are to be controlled from the DAW, the MIDI Port 2 can be used for this.

You only need an Audio interface if you want to record the keyboard's analog Line Outputs (Main L/R and/or the Sub Outs) in the DAW.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 07:43:42 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Nuttall

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2020, 09:05:49 PM »
Eileen is 100% correct. When producing a song, recording MIDI only represents about 10% of the chore. The remaining 90% is editing. This varies according to one's goals for the final recording. If you just want to hear how you play, then just do it on the Genos. If you're after a higher end point, you need to edit everything in a DAW because for editing MIDI, the Genos isn't even house broken - and was never really meant for that purpose.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Dave Nuttall

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2020, 10:03:08 PM »
Eileen is 100% correct. When producing a song, recording MIDI only represents about 10% of the chore. The remaining 90% is editing. This varies according to one's goals for the final recording. If you just want to hear how you play, then just do it on the Genos. If you're after a higher end point, you need to edit everything in a DAW because for editing MIDI, the Genos isn't even house broken - and was never really meant for that purpose.

In retrospect, I probably should have said EDITING in a DAW vs. recording.

For most of the nine years that I've been recording (PSR-S910 until Genos in 12/2019), I've relied on MixMaster for editing/adjusting the MIDI before rendering to audio.   As I tried to suggest after Eileen's response about recording on the Genos, my interest in using a DAW is likely more "geek envy" than real need, although I would welcome ideas about how EDITING with a DAW can be superior to MixMaster editing.

Thanks, Lee.
d.