Author Topic: SX900 Twin set  (Read 5083 times)

Offline meyrick

SX900 Twin set
« on: October 13, 2020, 03:32:48 PM »
I have an MP31 which I would like to couple with my SX900. I believe i requires the MIDI Send and Receive in some way,  but I can find no reference in either the user Manual or the reference manual. Can anyone point me in the right dirction please?
Thanks

Offline Graham UK

Re: SX900 Twin set
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 04:20:33 PM »
many moons ago I wrote details of Tyros 2 + NP30.
I just requires one midi lead between the two boards.
HOPE THIS HELPS ?.

Tyros & NP30 Twinset

T2. Function \ Splitpoints. Set Split Points R1 & R2 to C1.(last key left) R3 C1#. Previous Registrations saved may alter this.

NP30 Midi Out to T2 Midi In A. Only one lead required. (Midi IN B could be used)

T2. Function \ Utilities \ Midi \ Edit.
Page to System and set Receive Transpose to ON.
Page to Receive and set CH1 from Song to LEFT.
Page to Chord detect Tick CH1.
Volume Control of NP30 is OFF as it's acting as a dummy to trigger T2 Chords \ Styles.

The Midi Template settings above Save As (name ?) Suggest Lower ON into USER.
I did another Template leaving Receive CH1 to Song and Saved As Lower OFF into USER. This enables you to switch off T2 left voice if not required as on the T2 left voice switch does operate on this setup when playing from NP30.

Additional NOTE. Normally the TwinSet NP30 would be playing chords around middle C as per Organ.
The NP30 can be transposed one octave down by.....
Holding Grand Piano Button down whilst pressing C4. This now plays the T2 Left Voice -1 Octave
DGX670

Offline meyrick

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 02:24:57 PM »
Thanks Graham UK. I will try and work from that although the T2 and SX900 are quite different in their setup. However.it gives me something to work with.
Thank you

The following users thanked this post: NICK.VZ

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 04:00:10 PM »
I have an MP31 which I would like to couple with my SX900. I believe i requires the MIDI Send and Receive in some way,  but I can find no reference in either the user Manual or the reference manual. Can anyone point me in the right dirction please?
Thanks

Hi meyrick,

you have not written what exactly you want to control with the (Yamaha) NP31 on the SX900.

1. Probably  the easiest is to use the NP31's keyboard instead of the SX900's internal keyboard (both keyboards "do" the same):

- First use a MIDI cable (5-pin DIN connectors on both ends) to connect the NP31's MIDI OUT to the SX900's MIDI IN socket.

- Make sure that the NP31's MIDI Transmit Channel is set to 1 (= default).

- On the SX900, press "Menu > MIDI" and make sure you that the Preset MIDI Template "All Parts" is selected.

- Press "Receive" tab to open the "Receive" page. (Refer to page 124 of the SX900 Reference Manual.)

- In the first line ("Port 1 / Channel 1") set the Part from "Song" to "Keyboard".

- Press the ">" icon (= right arrow) to display the additional columns for "Port 1 / Channel 1".

- REMOVE the checkmarks in the columns "CC" and "PC" (= Control Change and Program Change) in that first line.

- Press the "Save" icon and save the edited MIDI template (using a file name like "Channel1 Keyboard").

- Make sure that your new User MIDI template is shown now at the top of the MIDI display (instead of "All Parts").

- Press the "X" or Exit button to close the MIDI display.

Now you can use the keyboard of the NP31 exactly in the same way as the internal SX900 keyboard (including the Split Points).

The second option is to use the NP31 only to control ONE specific Keyboard Part of the SX900, for example "Right 3". In this case, simply change set the Part of the first line "Port 1 / Channel 1" in the MIDI Receive page not to "Keyboard" but to "Right 3".

If you have any further questions, just get in touch here.

P.S.
To my knowledge, the NP31 doesn't have an internal SPLIT function (to split its keyboard into two independent key areas that transmit on two different MIDI channels). Therefore it is not possible to control the Accompaniment (Style) of the SX900 from the NP31 AND SIMULTANEOUSLY control a specific Keyboard Part of the SX900 (e.g. "Right 3") from a different keyboard area of the NP31.

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 04:07:07 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: bhergar56

Offline meyrick

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 10:48:00 AM »
Hi Chris. Thanks for the input. You are correct, the NP31 is not able to produce a split point. This is what i wanted to do, use the NP31 as the split point as I did on my Tyros4. I can do that but only when the SX900 is set with a split point at F2, which of course defeats the object. The NP31 could be used to play "Lower Split Voices", available from Argonaut@hotmail.com, but that doesn't work with SX900, or at least i cant get it to do so.
Again, very many thanks for your suggestions, I shall just have to plow on with the Genos very little brother and one of us may become better educated. :>)
Graham M 

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 11:35:54 AM »
Hi Graham,

you may not have understood my previous statements correctly:

The fact that the NP31's keyboard cannot be spitted just means that you cannot control two different things from the NP31 at the same time, e.g. the Accompaniment (Style control) of the SX900 and in another keyboard area a certain Part.

But, as I said, you have the option of using the NP31 to control the Part "Keyboard" of the SX900. Then the NP31 keyboard behaves exactly like the internal SX900 keyboard, of course also with regard to the Split Points currently set on the SX900 (STYLE, LEFT and RIGHT3 Split points).

And alternatively you have the possibility to control a certain Keyboard Part of the SX900 with the NP31 (either LEFT or RIGHT1 or RIGHT2 or RIGHT3). The Split Points set on the SX900 are NOT important in this case, i.e. the controlled Part of the SX900 can be played using the entire keyboard of the NP31.

I definitely recommend that you try out the options described.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Lofty(dave)

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 12:14:34 PM »
I Have my SX900 Coupled to my NP30 works quite well which means I can split my NP into 3 when I wish
Lofty Dave

Lofty(dave)

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 12:15:54 PM »
Sorry not NP my Sx into 3

Offline RobertM

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 11:16:33 PM »
Hello all
This is my first post on the forums although I've watched PSRT for many years. Attached a photo of my Twin that might be of interest, I use the second keybed for solos controlling R3.
The tilted screen works well, and yes, I am aware my warranty is void!
Regards to everyone,
Robert.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Enildo

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 12:49:02 AM »
Hello all
This is my first post on the forums although I've watched PSRT for many years. Attached a photo of my Twin that might be of interest, I use the second keybed for solos controlling R3.
The tilted screen works well, and yes, I am aware my warranty is void!
Regards to everyone,
Robert.

Hello Robert
I'm curious as to how you managed to tilt the screen.

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline RobertM

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 02:21:09 AM »
Hello Enildo,
Photo attached. The mounts are aluminium strip fastened with high strength double-sided tape both to the keyboard sub frame and the back of the screen.  Electrical ground (bonding) is essential.
As several of the circuit boards have to be removed please do not attempt this mod. unless you have experience and are confident.
It is worth the trouble though, especially as you sit further away when using another keybed which results in poor viewing angle.
Regards,
Robert.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Enildo

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2020, 11:02:22 AM »
Hello Enildo,
Photo attached. The mounts are aluminium strip fastened with high strength double-sided tape both to the keyboard sub frame and the back of the screen.  Electrical ground (bonding) is essential.
As several of the circuit boards have to be removed please do not attempt this mod. unless you have experience and are confident.
It is worth the trouble though, especially as you sit further away when using another keybed which results in poor viewing angle.
Regards,
Robert.

Hi Robert, thanks for the reply.

I don't think I have the same courage. hehehehe
Another question: How do you transport it inside a case or bag?
Congratulations on the idea.

Hug,
Enildo
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 03:05:24 PM by Enildo »
When word fail, Music speaks!

blackpool

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2020, 12:33:38 PM »
Great idea Robert, I have this issue as i use a Korg i3 as my lower for lead voices.
I do miss the tilted screen of my tyros or pa1000  in such a set up with 2 boards.

To 'help' a little with this issue, I have placed 40mm rubber door stops under the rear feet pads of the SX at both sides which do give a slight angle and these don't affect the keybed playing level too much.

Nice neat set up you have ....well thought out!!

Keith
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 02:48:28 PM by blackpool »

Offline RobertM

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2020, 04:25:13 PM »
Hi Enildo,
My  Sx900 stays in one place, so the short answer is, "you don't". The mod. is reversible though and takes about an hour to return to original.
I do hope Yamaha improves the screen angle on the next model.

Thanks Keith for your response.

Robert.

Offline gd47

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2020, 08:44:22 PM »
Hi,
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I’m having problems with my “twin set”!
It’s an SX900 and I’m trying to pair it with an M Audio Keystation Mk3 (I want to play the left voices on it).
Should be easy, but there’s no midi activity displayed on the SX900 when connected to the M Audio (s/h from eBay, advertised as perfect).
Checked it with various working midi leads...no activity.
I have an older M Audio keyboard and plugged that into my SX900...no problem!
Would the M Audio Mk3 connect to the SX900 via the USB ports (reading the manual, it appears that the SX900 can transmit and receive midi via the two “to device” USB ports, but I may be completely wrong!).
Any help very gratefully received!
Many thanks in advance,
George.

Offline RobertM

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2020, 05:49:45 AM »
Hello George,
Only just noticed your query. As you may have seen my previous posts in this thread I am using a Keystation Mk3 (M-Audio) with my SX900.
If you can be patient for a day or so I'll put together a step by step reply for you. It does work very well, although I only use it for lead voices on Right 3.
Regards,
Robert.

Offline RobertM

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2020, 06:04:19 AM »
George,
Sorry, I mis-read your post. If an earlier Keystation works then there should be no difference setting up the Mk3. You cannot connect with USB cable unless, I think, you use a computer interface. Mine is connected with a single midi cable, and of course a power supply for the Keystation. I agree, the manual is misleading on USB connection but I think that is referring to use with a PC music program and not an arranger keyboard.
Robert.

Offline RobertM

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2020, 06:41:23 AM »
George,
There is one other possibility. Did you set midi OUT as explained on page 14 of the Keystation Mk3 manual? Also note there is an error in the instructions.....after step 2 you must press the ENTER key.
Hope this is the problem as I got caught too!
Robert.

Offline gd47

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2020, 02:22:03 AM »
Hi Robert,
Not to put too fine a point on it but YOU ARE A GENIUS!!
Very many thanks for your knowledgeable and helpful replies...much appreciated!
It was the MIDI out setting which did the trick (and pointing out the error in the user manual, without which I would NEVER have been able to get it working).
Now for the next step, which should be relatively straightforward...setting the correct channels to be able to use the M Audio as the lower split point. Oh, and also connecting my PK5 bass pedals (I’m thinking at this point “should I have sold my soul to the bank and bought a Stagea?”).
Once again, very many thanks for your invaluable help.
Best wishes,
George.

Offline RobertM

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2020, 02:57:12 AM »
Hi George,
Very glad you had success, the error in the manual took me quite a few hours to find !
I don't think you will have much trouble now as there are several set-up procedures detailed at the start of this thread by contributors who have much more knowledge than I.
One point though is worth repeating, and that is the lower keyboard cannot be split by any setting in SX900 or KS61Mk3. The only way to get that is by installing special split voices, at one time available from Organaut UK and others.
Best wishes,
Robert.

Offline meyrick

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2020, 01:25:13 PM »
Hi All.
Having taken notice of all the very helpful reply's, I struggled to make any headway. However, I have recently purchased an upgrade for my Tyros magic V-Console tablet to the SX900. A very easy update from the Tyros 4. This allows for a lower keyboard, mine is the NP31, and a pedal setup. No messing about with the MIDI setting on the SX900, just plug and play.
If anyone is interested, a V-Console Demo is available on Youtube.