Author Topic: Rock styles - so few  (Read 4682 times)

Offline intheword

Rock styles - so few
« on: October 10, 2020, 12:19:45 AM »
I was surprised when I understood that there are only 23 or 24 "Rock" styles in the Genos under the style category of Rock.  That seems like there should be more rock styles to choose from.  I am mainly looking for good Rock drum beats to jam along to.

Has anybody found more rock styles or rock drum beats on the Genos? 

Should I try to install the Premium Pack, are there rock styles on there?  My Genos is new so it came with the 2.0 upgrade.

Thanks for your help!

The following users thanked this post: Taffinator

Offline acparker

Re: Rock styles - so few
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 12:15:01 PM »
It really depends on what you're looking for.  In the 'Oldies' Category, you can find the following Rock styles:
Rock&Roll
50sRock&Roll
60sRock&Roll
Rock&RollJive
Rock&RollShuffle
OldiesRock&Roll
60sVintageRock
60sPopRock
SurfRock
BeachRock

You can always try searching 'rock' on the Genos in the style selection screen to see what comes up.

And don't underestimate the value of the Psrtutorial site.  There are many people who have donated their style collections.  If you are looking for something specific, you can probably find it there.

Adam

kla4

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 03:54:44 PM »
My Genos contains all free packs and I find 98 Rock styles using the 'search' function.... so...

Offline intheword

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 05:00:18 PM »
thank you, I need to download the free packs, where can I find them?

kla4

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 05:30:38 PM »
Please read this thread : Topic: Starting June 30, Yamaha Premium packs, expansions will be free

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 05:36:21 PM »
Hi

I think Yamaha think we are all over the top
They forget the oldies now are rock fans!!! :)

Cheesy songs has to die!!! or i will  ::) :P
All the Best
John

Rock and Roll,   " Black sabbath, Deep Purple, Camel , Santana, Wishbone ash, Boston, Chicago, Black Widow, Quatermass, Keef Hartley Band, Pink Floyd, Status Quo, Free,
Steve Harley, Fleetwood mac, Second Hand, Focus, Emerson lake and Plamer, Pink Faries, Seventh Wave, ELO,  Steve Hackett, Rick Wakeman, Barclay James Harvest, Roderick Falconer, . That is scraping the surface

How's about Soul, Stax Reggae New Age, Tamla, Northern Soul, the list goes on
Too much Cheese!! 8)

They think us rockers are over the hill at 70 .
Mick Jagger is proof "WE LIVE"!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) " Dont Stop", or i will have a 19th nervous breakdown if you Play with Fire.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 10:36:38 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 09:57:33 PM »
I agree with John. "Rock styles" is a huge category. I find it easier to describe "Rock" from a decade frame of reference. Are you referring to the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s...

The Rock from these decades differ in so many ways.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 10:38:22 PM »
Hi Lee

Not much in the way of 60s and 70s rock styles

All the best
John :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline porterma

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 07:55:19 PM »
Has anyone found any of the "rock styles" on the Genos or in the Expansion packs that work well with the distinctive sounds of Fleetwood Mac ?
That group, particularly from the 70's had a definite drum sound that carried through many of their songs.
So far I have not been able to find much that matches this group.

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 05:45:25 PM »
Hi

I think Yamaha think we are all over the top
They forget the oldies now are rock fans!!! :)

Cheesy songs has to die!!! or i will  ::) :P
All the Best
John

Rock and Roll,   " Black sabbath, Deep Purple, Camel , Santana, Wishbone ash, Boston, Chicago, Black Widow, Quatermass, Keef Hartley Band, Pink Floyd, Status Quo, Free,
Steve Harley, Fleetwood mac, Second Hand, Focus, Emerson lake and Plamer, Pink Faries, Seventh Wave, ELO,  Steve Hackett, Rick Wakeman, Barclay James Harvest, Roderick Falconer, . That is scraping the surface

How's about Soul, Stax Reggae New Age, Tamla, Northern Soul, the list goes on
Too much Cheese!! 8)

They think us rockers are over the hill at 70 .
Mick Jagger is proof "WE LIVE"!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) " Dont Stop", or i will have a 19th nervous breakdown if you Play with Fire.

I absolutely agree. The Genos is fantastic, but there is so much samey old fashioned style stuff (just a personal opinion) that I'll never use. I've found the odd great (and usable) style variation in very unlikely places for saving into a rock/blues user style, but it's so hit and miss. High on my Wishlist would be some sort of search/analyser for drum patterns/bass/tempo etc e.g. to search for driving bass lines or whatever.
This is a main reason I got the Montage, fantastic keyboard, but it's a big big learning curve (not to mention the cost!)

Genos, Montage 7, PSR EW-410 HS5's, mfc10
Former Keyboards: T1/2/3/5 & various Organs

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 08:58:02 PM »
Where I come from, the Montage is cheaper than a Genos.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 09:06:38 PM »
I'd prefer a Genos that's all cheese.

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 09:57:46 PM »
Come on J

Some of us are waiting for our generation baby boomers to explode , but we still hear 20s and 30s stuff.
I think that the old music is great , but 60s and 70s and also the 80s were gold days for music.
If i go on a cruise all we get is Glen Miller and piano lounge music or todays moooo music droning out speakers at meal times
I would love to go on a cruise and have ELO and Focus on stage  and have a rock cafe on deck. Lucky for me they have HOT TUB'S. Something i guess and nice weather.
They have forgotten that the Rolling Stones exist and there is such a large fan base for that type of fun music.
All i can say is Steve harley  "Come up and Make me Smile"!! :) ;)
One thing i can say about older generation music is that the  algorithm's  are much better than todays music.
I do notice that in today's music  "Pepper Piggy style stuff is all so depressing chavvy and boring, just like a kids wind up toy and their voices sound like a cow being milked!!MOO.
 MOO! ;D :P ::)
One day in the future fun music has to return :) Interesting MUSIC!!
The trouble is all this streaming. People are missing the thrills of going to a record store and browsing ,smelling and holding the vinyl and going through the literature on the album covers with great artwork. Cassettes jamming at the crucial point in a song until the pencil can sort the problem out. Balancing the record decks and pops and crackles. Too many push buttons in our culture rather than experiencing the real world. Bring back ROCK!! ;D

All the best
John
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 10:14:12 PM by ugawoga »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 10:11:27 PM »
Agreed John!! And thanks for the funny post. Moo moo😀😀😀
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 10:47:22 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2020, 10:13:27 PM »
HI Toril

I'm Yours SILVER MACHINE!! 8)

At least then we can fly sideways in time 8)

All the Best
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 10:15:24 PM by ugawoga »

Offline intheword

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2020, 02:22:39 AM »
John, I can't believe you called out Wishbone Ash and Quatermass!!!!  I was born in 1953 and fell in love with Wishbone Ash and Quatermass in the late 60's.  NOBODY has ever heard of Quatermass but I bought their album in 1970 and wore it out!  I was crazy about the Hammond organ player and the avante garde nature of the music fused with rock. 

What really blows my mind, is how about two weeks ago I was surfing on the "keyboard corner" forum and some dude discovered some Youtube videos of a Quatermass tribute band, almost all Asian people.  Amazing the coincidence of your mention of them John and the mention on the keyboard corner.   Check to see if this link works ...

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3063979/quatermass-tribute-band#Post3063979

« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 02:26:29 AM by intheword »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2020, 02:31:54 PM »
I don't think rock has ever gone away John. It is that a lot of people don't choose to listen to it.
  One advantage must be to the Hearing Aid trade though as it has given them lots of business. ;D ;D

Pincho Paxton

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2020, 04:04:11 PM »
People post styles on here, but they are all mixed up. It would be better if the forum had styles categorised into groups like Rock, Classic, Movie.

Genos General/
Styles/
Downloads/
Rock
Classic
Movie

So that we can find things easier.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2020, 05:37:24 PM »
People post styles on here, but they are all mixed up. It would be better if the forum had styles categorised into groups like Rock, Classic, Movie.

Genos General/
Styles/
Downloads/
Rock
Classic
Movie

So that we can find things easier.

Sounds like a good project for you to take on. Joe would be happy for the help.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2020, 09:41:33 PM »
Hi In the word

Yes, Quatermass were a band that was 100% talented musically.
I do love the old prog bands and they were and are still ahead of our time.
Camel and Focus were great Instrumental rock bands.
Take Rocky Mountain way by Joe Walsh, Rare Earth, "Get ready" with that 20 minute version.
I do agree that a lot of rock songs would not fit on the Genos and a **** of a a lot that would.
There is also a lot of great 60s and 70s pop/rock that gets missed out today that would translate well, reggae and ska music , Tamla and soul.
Semi rock from Alan Parson Project sounds great on keyboards and Chris Rea songs.
I also have tried Chicago songs and they sound great .
There is so much out there to choose from.

Anyone for "Mouldy old Dough"!!! ;D :P Lieutenant Pidgeon!!! :) :) :)

Where is that Time Machine?? I would set course for 1969 8)
One of my old favourites  was   Ruperts People -  "Reflections of Charlie Brown" with that slow sound Hendrix guitar on the wow pedal. (class).  --  and that was just as good as Procol's Whiter shades of Pale in a different light. Also that great lady who played that catchy riff on the piano, Thunderclap Newman  "Something in the Air" or was Granny or Mrs Mills???

Right now i am going Loco In Acapulco on the Genos. :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 09:55:06 PM by ugawoga »

joca

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2020, 02:31:22 PM »
Sometimes it's nice to be able to listen to the melodic side of the music instead of having the eardrums bursting. It is all relevant Rock is a by product of rock n roll is a by product of cheesy is a by product of big band is a by product of jazz band. I can't go back as far as the Lute but I guess it is part of the progression

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2020, 08:23:37 PM »
Where I come from and the musicians I work with all agree that little innovation and creativity has been used in music since about 1985. There is so much electronic repetition and over-processing used today that it's hard for me to get interested in current music.

You're right about the vocals today, John. To me, they sound like someone singing through their nose with the voice processed like a robot that constantly whines! Terrible!! I won't even get into my thoughts on the overdone bass and thumpy rhythms of EDM, trance, and other similar genres :).

John, you should start calling today's music, "moo-sic" :D!

Offline Stubby

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2020, 02:35:33 AM »
Any recommendations for where to look for some great rock styles that Yamaha doesn't provide?  I will comb through past threads on this forum where members have posted styles but am also wondering if I should elsewhere for an easy fix.  So many styles, so little time..... 8)

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2020, 04:39:18 AM »
I have been following this thread but I still can't figure out what kind rock song you can't find a style that will work.

I enjoy country music from the 1960's to 2020. My PSR S950 only came with 26 country styles, yet I have over 330 country custom song styles. The Genos keyboard comes with 49 POP, 47 RETOPOP and 25 ROCK styles (121 styles), and you can't find a style or move a few style parts around to get what you need?

If I can work up a style for my grandkids to do the song "Old Town Road" which is stretching it to call that song country, I think you all just need to work on learning how to use the Style Creator that comes with each keyboard to solve your problem.  ;)

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2020, 09:08:14 AM »
Hi Drake

What a lot of people do not realize is that most forms of modern music , such as pop rock etc is revolved around country music.
It should be easy to work out rock styles really.
It is good to have banter and different opinions though.
keep ROCKIN'

Anyone for Klaatu!! great Canadian band that a lot of people thought were the Beatles "Engage "!! Captain Picard!! " Around the Universe In 80 Days".  8)

Starcastle-- "Fountains of Light",This is quality prog music.
  Boston, Chicago, Rush, Lynard Skynard, Well, I have a soft spot for Niel Diamond musically. Tony Joe White is fantastic with that swampy music, "Roosavelt and Ira Lee", Quality .
That is just the American side for me.
You lot must think i am mad. I am!! ;D ;D
No one yet has mentioned Tiny Tim and Tiptoe through the Tulips!!

All the best
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 09:21:36 AM by ugawoga »

Offline pjd

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2020, 11:54:59 PM »

If a rock or pop tune is super-distinctive, I'll start with a prerecorded MIDI song, if possible. If a note-for-note cover isn't required, then why not re-interpret the song in your own way? The existing styles are good for re-interpretation. Maybe strip away a few of the parts and start with something more basic?

The MIDI chord track/expansion feature is great for experimenting. Get the basic song and chord structure into the chord track, then try different styles. My only want is to use a USER style. (Please, Yamaha?)

Hope everyone is havin' fun and staying healthy -- pj

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline mikf

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2020, 12:15:17 AM »
I played keyboards, guitar and bass, and played and enjoyed all the genres with different kinds of bands.  But I have to say that I find overall that rock music does not lend itself very well to keyboard instrumentals. I think that is one reason why there is a greater preponderance of styles for standards on the arrangers. It is great fun battering out simple repetitive power chords behind a power vocal in a rock band, but when playing keyboard it’s a bit underwhelming. Give me a meaty standard with complex alternative chord changes any day on the keyboard.
Mike