Author Topic: Drum setup tutorial  (Read 3458 times)

Offline manojm

Drum setup tutorial
« on: October 09, 2020, 08:36:59 AM »
Hi all,

Here is a tutorial for the drum setup in detail with examples.
https://www.arrangertutorials.com/2020/10/06/yamaha-drum-setup-feature-in-depth/

The following users thanked this post: rezaazadi1361

Offline travlin-easy

Re: Drum setup tutorial
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 05:06:31 PM »
Over the years I have many individuals complain about Yamaha's drum kits. And, usually, I responded that they can be tuned to sound like other drum kits touted on other manufacturers arranger keyboards. Unfortunately, most individuals or arranger keyboard owners never take time to explore the inner workings of their keyboards to learn how to do this. It's not really difficult, but I guess I never found time to explain this clearly over the years on how to go about it. Fortunately, a PSR owner, Manojm, and member of the PSR Tutorial forum has done this with a You Tube video, which clearly shows how in his 15-minute video. Spend 15 minutes of your day watching this - it is very informative and educational.

All the best,

Gary 8)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 05:20:01 PM by travlin-easy »
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: manojm

Offline alanclare

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 01:10:45 PM »
I tried to follow what the video is trying to tell me - but I can't. With the best wish in the world, I just can't follow what's going on.

Alan

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 02:36:11 PM »
The description of the "Drum Setup" feature on the linked site is not correct in my eyes:

You can NOT  "create a Custom Drum Kit" (that could be used with other Styles or with MIDI files) using the Drum Setup feature. You can only modify the Drum Part settings of the currently loaded Style (and finally save the new settings with the Style file) .

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 02:40:29 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline manojm

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 05:26:53 PM »
@overover
It is assembling a drum kit by combining sounds from other kits on the keyboard. But a new sample cannot be added to it. The kit assembled is valid only within that style. These points are mentioned there and in the video.

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 07:43:07 PM »
@overover
It is assembling a drum kit by combining sounds from other kits on the keyboard. But a new sample cannot be added to it. The kit assembled is valid only within that style. These points are mentioned there and in the video.

Hi manojm,

thanks for your feedback!

In Yamaha jargon a "Drum Kit" usually means a "Drum Voice". There are Preset Drum Voices and Custom Drum Voices.

I just wanted to point out that you cannot create (save) new Custom Drum Voices (which could be used in ANY Styles / MIDI files) using this "Drum Setup" feature.

P.S.
Among the YEM compatible keyboards, Custom Drum Voices that use elements from Preset Drum Voices can currently only be created for the Genos and Tyros5 (in YEM).

Custom Drum Voices, which only use their own Samples, can however be created for ALL YEM compatible keyboards (also for e.g. PSR-Sx7x, PSR-SX).

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 07:45:49 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline manojm

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 06:59:01 PM »
@overover Thank you. I have updated the description in the site to avoid any confusions with it.

Offline manojm

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 07:05:14 PM »
I tried to follow what the video is trying to tell me - but I can't. With the best wish in the world, I just can't follow what's going on.

Alan

Hi Alan, is it the language which made it difficult?

Offline alanclare

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2020, 08:46:15 AM »
manojm

Possibly. I’ll give it another go. My recent forays into working with the Style Editor should have increased my confidence in its use.

Alan