Author Topic: Can a foot controller pedal be programmed to reduce volume?  (Read 1638 times)

PSRTom

Can a foot controller pedal be programmed to reduce volume?
« on: October 07, 2020, 02:57:05 AM »
Hey Guys,

Do any of you know if an PSR SX700 pedal with foot controller can be programmed to reduce the volume?
To do pianissimo.  I want pressing the controller pedal to decrease the volume.
The volume of higher octave treble sounds on the organ voice are too loud.
Thanks for your help.

Offline mikf

Re: Can a foot controller pedal be programmed to reduce volume?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 07:40:53 AM »
You typically control volume with an expression or volume pedal. Yamaha version is FC7. You don’t have to program it. And normally it functions the other way round ie full up is off and full down is full volume. You can set it the other way ie to reduce volume as you press down but it wouldn’t feel intuitive to most people.
Mike

PSRTom

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 09:11:14 AM »
Thank you for taking the time to make your reply.
My question is:
How can you SET UP a Yamaha FC7 (or any other brand) foot controller pedal to REDUCE the volume when you depress the pedal? 
There doesn't appear to be a setting for the SX700 that would do this.
That is to SET IT UP to do pianissimo, not fortissimo.

Thank You for your consideration.

blackpool

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 10:25:57 AM »
I just wonder if a non Yamaha pedal ( with a polarity switch ) would work the opposite way around if you change the polarity ?

keith

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 01:06:17 PM »
 It's just the polarity that sets direction.  Most expression pedals work the same way, Yamaha or not. You can usually set direction, ( polarity), span, resistance, either on the keyboard or the pedal or both. Polarity can be set on the keyboard, because sometimes you need it the other way for example using it for pitch bend where you want full pitch to be full up as opposed to volume where convention is full volume, full down.
So of course you can easily set volume in what I would call the reverse direction, just seems like an odd thing to do, completely counter intuitive and I have never heard of anyone doing volume that 'wrong' way round with a guitar or keyboard. So you can do it your way of course, but I honestly think you will soon work out it works better the other way because your brain will have problems relating less volume to more push and you may also have problems setting the pedal with your foot on the fly to get just enough volume, because with the polarity reversed it will go to zero volume if you press down too far.
Mike

PSRTom

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 01:17:37 PM »
Mikf and All,

Thanks for all your help.  I need decreased volume to be used for a special case.  Namely, the organ volume is too loud at upper octaves.
Menu in Assignable changes polarity

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 01:36:37 PM »
Tom,

Here is the manual for your keyboard.
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/1/1279261/psrsx900_sx700_en_om_a0.pdf

Turn to page 106 for instructions on how to install and assign your pedal.

Rick D.