Author Topic: SX700 Expansion Pack Installation Error  (Read 6620 times)

SX700 Expansion Pack Installation Error
« on: October 06, 2020, 07:14:10 PM »
Hi! I would like to request some assistance. I have a Yamaha SX700. I tried to install an expansion pack but while loading an error came up saying: failed to access data. If anyone could help me sort this out I would be grateful.

Offline Toril S

Re: SX700 Expansion Pack Installation Error
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 07:53:43 PM »
Dud you format the USB stgk on the keyboard before using it to install the pack?
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 08:56:15 PM »
Dud you format the USB stgk on the keyboard before using it to install the pack?

No, I havent tried that yet. But I dont think thats the problem because after that I tried installing 2 other packs with the same Usb stick, and they installed on the keyboard without any problems.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 09:48:13 PM »
Hi Patrick,

is the Pack in question one of the Yamaha Packs that are free now?

If yes, I recommend you to download it again, delelete the Pack from the YEM and import the new downloaded .cpf file.

Note: You must make a NEW order on the Yamaha Shop site for this Pack. Then go to "Library" in your Yamaha account and use the NEW link to download the Pack.

The reason for this inconenience is that some of the Packs were originally uploaded as a bad file. (All packs should work by now, but in some cases a pack has to be downloaded again as described.)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 10:37:59 PM »
Make sure this pack is for the SX700. Dose it install alright into the YEM.

Offline johan

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 01:40:42 PM »
Maybe the pack was saved using the “quick installation” option (CPI file instead of PPI). In this case, you can only install the pack if the keyboard has already the packs loaded as was the case in YEM when the pack was created. In other words, if you have loaded another PPI file first, it will not be possible to load the CPI file afterwards. If this is the issue, just recreate the pack but saving it as a PPI file.
I also advice to try with another usb stick (formatted on the keyboard as suggested by Toril).
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 01:55:03 PM »
Hi Patrick,

is the Pack in question one of the Yamaha Packs that are free now?

If yes, I recommend you to download it again, delelete the Pack from the YEM and import the new downloaded .cpf file.

Note: You must make a NEW order on the Yamaha Shop site for this Pack. Then go to "Library" in your Yamaha account and use the NEW link to download the Pack.

The reason for this inconenience is that some of the Packs were originally uploaded as a bad file. (All packs should work by now, but in some cases a pack has to be downloaded again as described.)

Best regards,
Chris

I'm not talking about the free Yamaha packs unfortunately, but Thank you for your help.

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 01:56:09 PM »
Make sure this pack is for the SX700. Dose it install alright into the YEM.

Yes, it does install into YEM without any problems, thank you.

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 01:59:57 PM »
Maybe the pack was saved using the “quick installation” option (CPI file instead of PPI). In this case, you can only install the pack if the keyboard has already the packs loaded as was the case in YEM when the pack was created. In other words, if you have loaded another PPI file first, it will not be possible to load the CPI file afterwards. If this is the issue, just recreate the pack but saving it as a PPI file.
I also advice to try with another usb stick (formatted on the keyboard as suggested by Toril).

No, this was saved as a PPI file, so I dont think thats the issue. I will try formatting the USB, hopefully that will solve it, but I'm not so hopeful because I tried installing 2 other packs with the same Usb stick without formatting, and they installed on the keyboard without any problems.Thanks for your help.

Offline Enildo

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2020, 11:44:54 AM »
Hi Patrick,

I had the same problem, and with Chris's help, I managed to solve it by changing the USB stick.
The interesting thing is that the pendrive I used on my old s975 did not work on the sx900.
I decided to test it with an old pendrive I had saved, only 4gb, and "Bingo", it worked!
Try changing the pendrive, borrow from one of your friends just for testing, and then you buy whatever works.

A hug my friend!
Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 04:42:40 PM »
Hi Patrick,

I had the same problem, and with Chris's help, I managed to solve it by changing the USB stick.
The interesting thing is that the pendrive I used on my old s975 did not work on the sx900.
I decided to test it with an old pendrive I had saved, only 4gb, and "Bingo", it worked!
Try changing the pendrive, borrow from one of your friends just for testing, and then you buy whatever works.

A hug my friend!
Enildo

thank you i will try that

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2020, 04:06:31 PM »
I formatted the USB as many of you suggested. But now, when I try to install the pack it says: Unsupported file type. What could be the problem?

Offline ckobu

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2020, 06:22:45 PM »
Hi patrick
Make sure you have the latest update installed on the sx700 (V1.04). Also, install the latest YEM (V2.7.0).

Watch my video channel

Offline overover

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2020, 06:28:22 PM »
I formatted the USB as many of you suggested. But now, when I try to install the pack it says: Unsupported file type. What could be the problem?

Hi Patrick,

I recommend to do the following now:

Select only one Pack in the YEM and make a Pack Install file  that is containing only this ONE Pack. Save the Pack Install File directly to the USB. Try if this Pack can be installed on the keyboard.

Do the same for your other Packs. Be sure to have always selected only ONE Pack in YEM.

Note: Do NOT let the YEM overwrite an existing .ppi or .cpi file on the USB stick! But always delete the previous Pack Install file from the stick manually before (or use CUT & PASTE on the computer to move such old files in a new folder, e.g. on the computer's hard disk) .

IF you find that one specific Pack can NOT be saved as Pack Install file, or the saved file cannot be installed on the keyboard, DELETE this fiile from the stick, DELETE the Pack from the YEM, RE-IMPORT the Pack into the YEM, make a new Pack Install file from this Pack, and try to install it on the keyboard again.

Good luck!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 05:00:34 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2020, 11:49:05 PM »
thank you to all the people who helped! it was my usb stick all along.

Offline Osbermusic

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2023, 09:47:52 PM »
Can someone help me with my sx700? I try to install any pack on the keyboard and I get an installation error, I even tried the yamaha packs and it still doesn't install, I changed all types of USB, the pack installation error still comes out

Offline EileenL

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2023, 12:05:28 AM »
Are you saving these packs into the YEM and then making an install file and saving to your USB.

Offline Osbermusic

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2023, 04:21:20 PM »
Yes, exactly ; but it does not install any ppi or cpi format, it seems that the expansion ram is gone; I only saw on a youtube channel how to repair the operating system of an sx600 it is a PRG pack installation Repairer v1.00 file but for sx700 I can't find that same file

Offline Bill

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2023, 04:42:36 PM »
Yes, exactly ; but it does not install any ppi or cpi format, it seems that the expansion ram is gone; I only saw on a youtube channel how to repair the operating system of an sx600 it is a PRG pack installation Repairer v1.00 file but for sx700 I can't find that same file

The PRG file is the Firmware Update 1.11 NOT an expansion pack. - it comes with full instruction.  It does not require installing into the YEM.

Firmware 1.11.  https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/contents/keyboards/downloads/firmware_software/index.html?c=keyboards&k=Sx700

Exp. Packs —.   
https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/contents/keyboards/vse/index.html

Bill
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 04:58:25 PM by Bill »
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline Osbermusic

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2023, 09:37:33 PM »
I did the same thing, I updated the operating system to the latest version 1.11, that normally works, the only thing is that it does not install the packages, you get a data system error and installed all kinds of yamaha packages, none of them work, I only know that there is that PACK INSTALLATION REPAIRER program, I don't know where to find it

Offline Lacko

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2023, 09:31:43 AM »
Problem is not in expansion packs, but in firmware. I would try to install the latest version of operating system again.

Offline overover

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2023, 11:06:04 AM »
Can someone help me with my sx700? I try to install any pack on the keyboard and I get an installation error, I even tried the yamaha packs and it still doesn't install, I changed all types of USB, the pack installation error still comes out

Hi Osbermusic,

You wrote that you installed the current firmware V1.11 on your SX700. Please make sure that you also have the current YEM version 2.9.0 installed on your computer.

If you are still using an older YEM version, be sure to install V2.9.0. Under Windows, the old YEM version should be uninstalled beforehand under "Apps and Features". (The already imported packs are retained.)

Delete the current SX700 Install Target from the YEM. Export the Instrument Info file (.n27) again from the SX700 to a USB stick and re-import the file into the YEM. Delete all previous .ppi and .cpi files from the used USB stick before saving a new Pack Install File there. The reason is that the YEM sometimes has problems overwriting an existing .ppi/.cpi file properly.

If it still doesn't work, I recommend deleting all packs from the YEM, then importing only one Yamaha pack and testing whether the .cpi file created from it can now be installed on the keyboard.

By the way, to completely reset the YEM, e.g. after a new installation of the YEM, I recommend deleting or renaming the YEM user folder. The next time the YEM is started, a new, initialized folder will be created automatically. If you do not know where the YEM User folder is located, please get in touch here again and indicate whether you are using Windows or Mac OS.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 11:18:13 AM by overover »