Author Topic: Psr sx700, usb port not working  (Read 5458 times)

Amir Ali

Psr sx700, usb port not working
« on: October 06, 2020, 09:49:51 PM »
Hi
I have bought a used sx700 , but the usb port doesn’t recognize the flash drive, and when I try to instrument info exported, I received a msg no flash drive connected.
Please any idea???
Thanks

Offline overover

Re: Psr sx700, usb port not working
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 09:58:50 PM »
Hi Amir Ali,

have you tried only ONE single USB stick?

First of all, I recommend to try some other USB sticks.

P.S. The stick must be FAT32 formatted. (Best is to format it directly on the keyboard.)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Amir Ali

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 10:10:36 PM »
I tried 3 different ones all working on psr s970. The problem the keyboard doesn’t recognize the connected flash drive . So difficult to get formatted on the keyboard. I have formatted a new flash drive on my pc to fat32 but still not working.
Thanks

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 10:40:30 PM »
You may have a fault with the USB socket on the keyboard if it is not recognizing it.

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 12:17:37 AM »
You can try to format the USB stick directly on the SX700:

Press "[Menu] > Utility > Storage" and check if the connected USB drive is displayed here.

If yes, select it and execute the Format option. (Make sure that you don't accidentally format the User Drive!)

If none of your USB sticks is displayed at "Utility > Storage", the USB-to-Device socket is probably defective (or even an internal component of the USB assembly).

There is an internal Test Program that you can use to check that the USB ports are working properly. All you have to do is start the Test mode, select/execute the relevant Test item, then connect the two USB sockets (to-Host and to-Device) with a USB type AB cable. If "NG" is shown on the LCD, something is wrong.

The connected USB stick can also be tested (with another Test item).

If you want to carry out these tests yourself, you are welcome to send me a PM (Personal Message), then I will send you detailed information about the mentioned Test program.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Amir Ali

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 08:45:16 AM »
Hi Chris,
Thanks a lot , I will try that later( currently at work), I believe I have to do them before I return it back. I will get in touch when I finish working.
Thanks again
Amir

Amir Ali

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 10:13:27 PM »
Hi the usb host is working when connecting the keyboard to Cubase on pc. Does this mean anything?

blackpool

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 10:21:07 PM »
The 2 sockets are different, so it sound to me like you have a fault with the USB socket itself, i would contact your seller.

You say you get a message saying 'no USB connected ' you should be received an on-screen message when you insert your flash drive saving 'USB connected' if you not getting this then in my opinion there is a problem.

I had the very same problem with a used 650 a few years back. I only ever use an adaptor now, to limit wear to the socket itself, so I am only plugging in to the adaptor and the main 'on board' socket does not get used over and over.

Often time, with these sockets being at the back ( stupid location in my view! ) some irresponsible users just stab at the back 'blind' and can damage the port .... it might just need a socket change, well i hope so.

Keith

« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 10:30:56 PM by blackpool »

Amir Ali

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 10:38:15 PM »
Thanks Keith

Online Toril S

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 11:13:13 PM »
Being such a fragile connection, there should at least be 2 USB ports in the PSRs too, not only in the Tyros/Genos.
They are not easy to replace yourself either, I believe it must be done by a Yamaha repair shop.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 06:56:45 AM »
Hi the usb host is working when connecting the keyboard to Cubase on pc. Does this mean anything?

Hi Amir,

as said before, I recommend to use the internal Test program to check the USB ports.

I can give you detailed information about this only via PM, because Yamaha don't want to see the contents of the Service Manuals publicly on the internet.

To send me a PM click on my user name, then click "Send personal message".

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 06:58:38 AM by overover »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 11:35:29 AM »
For keyboards that have there USB sockets at the rear of the instrument it is always better to use an extension cable so that you are not constantly plugging in and out of the keyboard.

Online Toril S

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2020, 02:34:38 PM »
Yes, I do that. But do not forget to remove the extension cable before putting the keyboard in your gug bag! It sticks out and the socket can be destroyed!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page