Author Topic: Left voice playing an octave higher.  (Read 1837 times)

glness

Left voice playing an octave higher.
« on: October 03, 2020, 08:48:50 PM »
I am playing a sheet music song on my SX900. I have three right voices set up. R1 is set to concert grand plus I have two other voices playing at lower volume for R2 and R3. I set the left voice to concert grand because I didn't want R2 and R3 to play with my base notes. It works, but unfortunately when I get to the split point the base notes I am playing with my lefthand play an octave higher. Why would this be?

Offline mikf

Re: Left voice playing an octave higher.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 11:56:56 PM »
If you crossed the split point it is no longer the left voice.
mike

glness

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 02:22:09 AM »
Thanks, Mike. I am talking about crossing the split point going down. The left hand voice is to the left of the split point. It is still obviously the left hand voice because whatever I change the left hand voice to on the left voice selector it changes it to that voice, but it is playing an octave higher. Right now, both the left hand voice and the R1 voice are on and set to concert grand. They both play as concert grand, but the left hand voice (to the left of the split point) is playing an octave higher? If I select any other instruments it does the same thing. For example, I select both left hand voice and R1 to oboe and turn them both on I set the split point to B/C at middle C. If I play a note at C or above it plays as an oboe in the normal octave range. As soon as I play a note below C it plays as an oboe one octave higher. ACMP is turned off on all these examples, because I am not playing a style; I am play both hands of sheet music.

Greg

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 03:10:14 AM »
I am playing a sheet music song on my SX900. I have three right voices set up. R1 is set to concert grand plus I have two other voices playing at lower volume for R2 and R3. I set the left voice to concert grand because I didn't want R2 and R3 to play with my base notes. It works, but unfortunately when I get to the split point the base notes I am playing with my lefthand play an octave higher. Why would this be?

In the voice setup for your left voice, octave is set at +1. You need to change it to zero.

On a Genos, you press the Voice button, and the parameters for all four voices are displayed, one of which is Octave. Change it to zero.

Hopefully an SX is the same.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

glness

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 05:59:29 AM »
In the voice setup for your left voice, octave is set at +1. You need to change it to zero.

On a Genos, you press the Voice button, and the parameters for all four voices are displayed, one of which is Octave. Change it to zero.

Hopefully an SX is the same.

Cheers,
Fred

Bingo!!! Many thanks, Fred. I was trying to check that out with the mixer window, but it didn't show the octave parameter. I changed it in the the voice window from +1 to 0 and it works perfectly now. I'm not sure how it could have got changed. I noticed that voices R2 (boys ahh) and R3 (girls ooh) were at -1 on the octave setting, but they sound good with that setting. Do some style settings automatically self-adjust octave parameters?

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 08:04:50 AM »
 "Do some style settings automatically self-adjust octave parameters?"

Whenever you select a  voice for the left hand the octave sets to 1 by default so that when you play in the usual LH
position for a split keyboard it normally sounds "right" when played against the RH voices in their default settings.
This left hand default octave setting being higher than the RH results in the jump you hear when passing the split polnt, but it can be adjusted as per Fred.
The voice settings themselves are designed to be that way, the style does not set the panel voice octaves (registrations will if you use them or if you wish you can save voices as user files - from Voice Editor - with octaves that you want built in).

John

« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 08:11:38 AM by jwyvern »