Author Topic: Smart Piano audio songs cause CVP809 to disconnect from wi-fi  (Read 3301 times)

jaypatriot

Smart Piano audio songs cause CVP809 to disconnect from wi-fi
« on: October 01, 2020, 11:38:10 PM »
I am hoping someone who uses Smart Pianist and accompanies iTunes songs on a CVP might have some insight on what I might be doing wrong.
Sometimes I can stay connected and sometimes it is impossible to do so.

I have a new CVP-809.  There is a lot of downloaded music from iTunes on my iPad which I use to connect to the CVP using SmartPianist using WiFi and the Yamaha USB wireless LAN adaptor.
The downloaded midi music I have on the iPad has no problem playing through the CVP.  No problems, interruptions, and I can see the scores on the iPad.
With the audio songs from iTunes on my iPad, I am often unable to finish a song without SmartMusic telling me I have lost connection with the CVP.  Moreover, when I have a microphone attached to sing harmony with the iTunes song, the CVP drops the connects even more often.  I wonder what impact the connected mic has to the wi-fi connection.
It happens quite often.  Why would the midi music continue without a problem but the audio songs stop because of a connection with the CVP?

I bought a Wi-Fi extender from BestBuy thinking that would ensure a strong Wi-FI connection between the CVP and the iPad. That has not improved anything.

Could I solve the problem with another router closer to the two devices.?
The main, single router is in the other side of the house up one floor next to the modem connected to Spectrum cable.

Any ideas as to how I can maintain a connect between the CVP and the iPad?   Would a hard wire connection work better by connecting the iPad to the USB device input?

Offline Bill

Re: Smart Piano audio songs cause CVP809 to disconnect from wi-fi
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 09:50:33 AM »
Audio data streams are much larger than Midi Data ones, so your system may well be struggling to cope.

I would initially try connect the CVP to the IPad by the AdHoc connection ie bypassing the router. You can see how to do this on page 13 of the Yamaha smart device manual.  If that fails try the cable connection.

Regards

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline Kenneve

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 07:03:56 PM »
I have my Ipad connected to my CVP805, using the USB to Host socket under the keyboard, and this plays the data stored in SmartPianist without any issues.

Use an AB type USB cable together with a USB to Lightning adaptor.
Page 102 of the users manual shows how it’s done, No Wi-Fi required.

The one problem I did have was, SmartPianist requires the latest version of IOS to function. My previous IPad was quite old and would not accept the latest version, so I had to buy a new IPad !!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 08:34:26 PM by Kenneve »

jaypatriot

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 05:21:46 PM »
Kenneve,
Thanks for your reply.
You wrote: "I have my Ipad connected to my CVP805, using the USB to Host socket under the keyboard, and this plays the data stored in SmartPianist without any issues. Use an AB type USB cable together with a USB to Lightning adaptor.
Page 102 of the users manual shows how it’s done, No Wi-Fi required."

On page 102 of the owner's manual, the following section:
Transmitting/Receiving Audio Data (USB Audio Interface function)

On the CVP809, the 'USB to Host' socket on the level of the keyboard. 
(The diagram for the USB connection must be for a CVP805).
I can connect it to the iPad and the audio plays just fine on the CVP.  However, I can't see the chords because there is not score displayed.  So it is difficult to transpose the score to match the music sheets I use to play along with the audio song.  Also, I cannot record voice from a microphone because it cuts off quickly.

I am still waiting for a response from Yamaha customer support on this issue.

Jay

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 09:17:33 PM »
Jay
An aside on forum operation. If you want to quote a section of someone else’s post in your reply, touch the quote button rather than the reply button. You will then see their whole post in the reply box. You can edit it down using delete to whatever part you want, then add your own post below it. This will save you cutting and pasting or typing.
mike

jaypatriot

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 10:21:38 PM »
I have my Ipad connected to my CVP805, using the USB to Host socket under the keyboard, and this plays the data stored in SmartPianist without any issues.

Use an AB type USB cable together with a USB to Lightning adaptor.
Page 102 of the users manual shows how it’s done, No Wi-Fi required.

The one problem I did have was, SmartPianist requires the latest version of IOS to function. My previous IPad was quite old and would not accept the latest version, so I had to buy a new IPad !!

Just a quick reply to mikf and Kenneve:
Robert from Yamaha support responded to my problem of the CVP809 often dropping off the wifi network whenever I played downloaded iTune songs from my iPad running Smart Pianist.  And whenever I connected the live microphone to the CVP, the CVP disconnected immediately.
Robert recommended a more powerful router with the wider range for my house.
I bought a eero mesh router with three access points to replace my 9 year old Linksys router.  That router is five times more expensive than the original Lynksys.
But, so far, the CVP has not dropped off the new network and I plan to really exercise it by adding my CVP-modulated voice to songs I record on the CVP and on Smart Pianist.  A whole new world is opening up to me with the CVP809, the new router and Smart Pianist.
So glad I found this psrtutorial.com blog with posters who know about CVPs.
Between Yamaha Support and Yamaha digital piano enthusiasts on this website,  I should be able to find answers to my basic questions.

Jay