Author Topic: Is there a way to populate Playlist with ALL of your Registrations easily?  (Read 5297 times)

Offline jimlaing

Hi - I did search around for this issue, but could not find an answer (either on-line or in the manuals).  If I have say 100 Registration bank files, each with 10 Registrations (buttons 1-10), that is 1000 items.  Is there a way to put all 1000 of these into a Playlist, with one Playlist "record" representing each Registration, for all 100 of my Registration files?

My purpose for this is to easily be able to Search for a single registration amongst over 1000 that I have (in a little over 100 files/banks).

So my desire would be to somehow, without having to do 1,000 steps, have all my Registrations within all of my Registration bank (files), all go into a Playlist.  That is, one Playlist line or item, for all 1000 (actually more) of my Registrations that are in over 100 Reg files.

Thanks!   -Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Offline Fred Smith

Here’s what I did, Jim. You can decide if it works for you.

I:
— created a file of all my registrations (using DOS, actually)
— pasted the names into a Google Sheets file
— typed in the names of the playlists I wanted as column headers (mostly genres)
— categorized each registration (some of them I put in more than one playlist)
— wrote a little script that then took each column and created the appropriate .TSV file

I used Google sheets because it was better at tsv files than Excel.

Hope this helps,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline murrayb

Jim:

If you have different song names in each of your 10 buttons x 100 banks, there is a way with YRM 5.1 Special to do exactly what you're looking for.

Put all your registration banks in a single directory.

Open YRM and set the target keyboard to Genos.
Click the button Duplicate/Remove Bank Settings
There is a option in the first pane, Export Buttons to Banks, check this and Ok
Check All Buttons in the next pane and Ok.
Click the Button Export Buttons to Banks and select the folder containing your 100 banks, then select or create a folder for the new 1,000 banks.

When that has finished, click the button on the Main screen, Play List Editor.
Click the button New Play List
Click the button Open Banks, and select the folder containing your 1,000 new registration banks.
In the next box you'll need to identify where these banks will be stored on your Genos. You can edit the folder name before you click the Ok.
Click the First record, scroll to the bottom of the box and Shift Click the last record, all will be highlighted.
Click the Add Item button and all will be added to the playlist.
Click Save Playlist and choose a name, and you're done.

While you're in the Play List Editor, you can sort, move items around, change the name of an item or search the list (needs at least 3 characters for the search).

Hope you have access to a PC now, cause this is a piece of cake.

Cheers,

Murray

One can do without most things, but not without the pleasure of music.

Check out my Registration Manager at:  http://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html

The following users thanked this post: loendersloot, jes826

Offline jimlaing

Hi - thanks  - sounds interesting.  Since I use wireless MIDI and have my iPad recall my registration, I have to keep my
100 banks (files) and use them for actually playing.  It sounds like for this method, I have to have 1000 files instead,
which would not work with my MIDI commands from iPad to Genos.  My banks are named "01 abc", "02 next bank", "03 another bank",
etc. and the MIDI commands rely on "02" being the 2nd Registration file in the folder I use.  (the MIDI can then also call up the appopriat Button within that Reg file as well).

I kind of sounds like with the method you mentioned, for the Playlist entries to work (and for them to allow me to use them to recall or call-up the actual Registration, I'd have to have the 1000 files, which would not work with my MIDI setup which I've spent alot of time setting up) . . .

I also from time to time, edit a Registration or two within these 100 files.  I also copy these 100 files to a 2nd Genos so that it has the exact same setup.  So I kind of rely heavily on having the Registration files (banks) exactly as I have them, for the MIDI etc.

Let me know if what I wrote here seems correct about the method you mentioned requiring me to have those 1000 files etc.

Thanks!
Jim

Online ckobu

Even if you make from your 1000 registrations, one Playlist of 1000 records, the problem would be to get to them. Yamaha did not offer numeric dialing on playlists. I mentioned it as a wish on this forum, but also in my video.

Maybe the solution to your problem is something like this. The MIDI designer app communicates well with Genos registrations. Watch this video.

https://youtu.be/_LxO2dH0L_c?t=282
Watch my video channel

Offline jimlaing

Hi - thanks much for the ideas for sure!

My limitation is that I already have an established "system" for numbering of my Registration files, and MIDI commands in literally almost 1000 songs (files) on my iPad, that recall specific Registration files and Registration (button) numbers.  Since I spent alot of time setting that up, I'm not likely to use a 2nd item of software . . . I was only hoping I could get all my existing Registrations (100x10 or 1000 entries) into Playlist so that I could easily search for the Names of each registration (button) - which for me, are often the names of songs.  But since I can't 'break' my existing system of MIDI commands and such to recall Registrations automatically from my iPad, I'm sort of "locked in" in that sense.

I appreciate the ideas, plenty to think about and consider etc.! 

Thanks,
Jim

Offline murrayb

Jim:

You're correct that method would require 1,000 registrations.

There still is a way to do this with YRM, but it doesn't include batch.

The way Play List Editor is designed, if you open your 100 banks in that program an click on a bank, the button contents are displayed. If you select all the buttons in that section, and click Add Item, all will be copied to the Playlist with the correct button number assigned.

The only downside is you would have to do it 100 times.

I'll have a look at it and see if I can automate the process.

Cheers,

Murray
One can do without most things, but not without the pleasure of music.

Check out my Registration Manager at:  http://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html

Online ckobu

You're right, Murray,
I also wanted to suggest the solution you mention (I already made the picture so let me attach it now), but I realized that it was a lot of work too. Or maybe not?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Watch my video channel

Offline jimlaing

Hi - doing it 100 times would feel OK to me; doing 1000 would not be nearly so nice!  :-)

As I use a Mac, is YRM a Yamaha program?  Or is one on of your programs Murray, that requires that I use a Windows PC?

Thanks!
Jim

Offline Fred Smith

Hi - doing it 100 times would feel OK to me; doing 1000 would not be nearly so nice!  :-)

As I use a Mac, is YRM a Yamaha program?  Or is one on of your programs Murray, that requires that I use a Windows PC?

It's Murray's. You need a PC.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline jimlaing

Re: Is there a way to populate Playlist with ALL of your Registrations easily?
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2020, 03:18:04 PM »
Thanks to those that gave some ideas and comments on this topic.  Murray helped me get them into a Playlist, then we discovered that Playlist does not let you search the Playlists!   That is, you cannot (that I could find) search for words that are in your named Playlist records.  I was surprised ... if I'm wrong and it can be done, would love to know how!  The Magnifying Glass (search) icon in the Playlist page, seems to let you search for Registrations to add to your playlist, not let you search your Playlist record names.

Jim

Online ckobu

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2020, 03:27:55 PM »
You're not wrong. Playlist search is in fact a search of Banks and registration within them. This is so solved because the Playlist is just a list of what is inside the Banks.
Watch my video channel

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2020, 04:05:51 PM »
Thanks, yes, I see what you mean.

My original desire was to search the Registration names (not the files, but the individual registrations within the banks/files) - and this seems not to be possible.  My reason is that I named my Registrations (button names I guess you could call them) with Song titles, and I had  hoped I could search my ~1000 resignations (within about 100 files) for any Song (registration name) that I had.  Guess that is not directly possible, as best I can tell.

Thanks!
Jim

Online ckobu

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2020, 05:23:35 PM »
You are absolutely right, a search by registration name is not possible. This is possible only on the basis of the name of the bank.
I had a similar problem because I follow the same principle as you. Within one bank I had several different songs, each on a separate registration.
It would have been better if I had linked one song to the name of the bank, even if there was only one song in it. But that was stupid and illogical to me while I was playing Tyros4 or 5. Then came Genos and the playlist with a different logic ...
That’s why I don’t use Playlists. I have a lot of Banks and somehow I’m used to remembering what’s in each of them so I don’t need to search.
Watch my video channel

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2020, 04:00:43 AM »
Hi - thanks - yeah, since I use an iPad (with unrealBook app) it recalls my Registrations (via MIDI commands),
so most of the time I'm OK . . . it's just that once in a while, I've thought it would be nice to be able to search
all the Registrations for a word or song title (which I've put into the Registration info)

Jim