Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 2600 times)

Offline Ray

Advice please
« on: September 25, 2020, 08:54:49 AM »
I have the CVP 809, and referring to the page which has speaker connectivity. The Binaural is set to “off” . Is this the correct setting, I don’t use headphones, and can’t quite understand whether it should be set on or off, reading the manual and reference manual, I am a little confused re this. The IAC is set on, depth set on 2. Would appreciate any help, in easy to follow, for an “oldie”. Many thanks.

Janus

Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 09:46:19 AM »
I think binaural is that both are on headphone and speakers
Set off is right to spare the headphone
You can test that connect a headphone and test the settings on and of

Gr.Jan

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 10:45:54 AM »
Binaural refers to Binaural sampling. This a technology used by Yamaha to improve the presence of the piano sound. It is automatically enabled when you use headphones and select the grand piano sound. It really can immerse you in the piano sound through headphones but can make the sound through the speakers seem a little peculiar, so it is not enabled when you use the speakers. But if you use the speakers and the headphones TOGETHER then the binaural sample will also sound through the speakers and this can sound a bit off. Most people do not use speakers and headphones simultaneously so its not normally an issue. But if you do use them simultaneously, then it is best to disable the binaural, at least while you are doing this. This means setting them to off. But if you never use headphones and speakers together, leave it set to on. The keyboard will automatically disable the binaural sample when you use the speakers, and enable it when you use the headphones.
Mike

Offline Ray

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 01:24:47 PM »
Thank you Mikf my understanding of your reply, is to leave the binaural set to on, is that right ?
Seems strange that the instrument does not have it set off as default., if as you say, the keyboard disables it. I use the Clavinova like a Genos, with all backings, etc.more than a piano.
I only use the speaker system, no headphones. Ray.

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 01:34:49 PM »
Yes, you can leave it on. The reason that “off” is not the default is because it is normally off anyway except for the one situation, ie piano on headphones. If you had it set to off and had to remember to reset to on every time you play piano through headphones that would be more of a nuisance.
Mike

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 02:16:27 PM »
Ray - as a side note, based on your comment about not using the cvp much as a piano, I wonder if you are aware that one of most powerful ways to use the cvp as a piano, is to set the the fingering mode to “AI full keyboard”. Now you can play the cvp pretty much as a full piano, and get the full accompaniment as well.
Mike

Offline Ray

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 12:14:40 AM »
Thank you a Mike, appreciated your explanation. Cheers, Ray.