Author Topic: PLS Yamaha Give us more expansion space in the sx900 via an update!!!!  (Read 3925 times)

Offline rene1242

Since there is already pre-installed expansions in the sx900 it meansit has extra space which is not accesible , it can get an update like the genos did would be awesome to have 2gb
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 08:37:45 PM by rene1242 »
"SynthGrooves"

Offline EileenL

Re: PLS Yamaha Give us more expansion space in the sx900 via an update!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 10:51:12 PM »
The Pre installed Expansion packs are using the memory. When you install new content these packs will be formatted and over written by the new ones before loading new Packs.
I don't think we will see and addition to memory on these keyboards.

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 11:49:17 PM »
Since there is already pre-installed expansions in the sx900 it meansit has extra space which is not accesible , it can get an update like the genos did would be awesome to have 2gb

Hi Rene,

the internal memory for Voice Wave date (the so-called "NAND-Flash" memory) is 4*512 MB (in summary 2GB). One GB of this 2GB is used for the Expansion Voice Wave data, the remaining one GB is used for the Preset Voice Wave data.

Possibly there is still a little bit of unused memory in the area used for the Preset Voice Wave data. But due to this hardware situation, Yamaha unfortunately cannot significantly increase the Expansion memory via a Firmware update.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 11:55:32 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline rene1242

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 02:47:32 PM »
The Pre installed Expansion packs are using the memory. When you install new content these packs will be formatted and over written by the new ones before loading new Packs.
I don't think we will see and addition to memory on these keyboards.

Yes i understand but even when they are formatted with new content you can always restore them it means that they are installed in a locked/hidden path
"SynthGrooves"

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 02:53:51 PM »
As these packs are usually compressed it would take up very little space. I Gb will hold quite a lot of samples but you have to be selective and not load things in that you know you will never use.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 04:29:09 PM »
Yes i understand but even when they are formatted with new content you can always restore them it means that they are installed in a locked/hidden path

This is true, so they must be taking up space somewhere. They *might* be sitting on the NAND, taking up space you could use for your own data. But I doubt that since you can overwrite the pre-installed expansion data. So I suspect they are held on another memory chip and reloaded to expansion memory on demand.

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 04:44:18 PM »

Hi Rene,

no, you're wrong here: The "preinstalled" Packs can NOT be restored directly on the SX900/700 when they have been overwritten with other Expansion content. These Packs are NOT stored somewhere "hidden" on the keyboard.

If you want to combine the "preinstalled" Packs with other Packs, or only to "restore" the preinstalled Packs, you have to download these Packs from the corresponding SX download site (and import the desired .cpf file(s) into the YEM):

Download the "preinstalled" Packs in .cpf format (separate versions for SX900 and SX700!):
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/vse.html#product-tabs

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 04:53:16 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline rene1242

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 05:43:30 PM »
Hi Rene,

no, you're wrong here: The "preinstalled" Packs can NOT be restored directly on the SX900/700 when they have been overwritten with other Expansion content. These Packs are NOT stored somewhere "hidden" on the keyboard.

If you want to combine the "preinstalled" Packs with other Packs, or only to "restore" the preinstalled Packs, you have to download these Packs from the corresponding SX download site (and import the desired .cpf file(s) into the YEM):

Download the "preinstalled" Packs in .cpf format (separate versions for SX900 and SX700!):
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/vse.html#product-tabs

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

no my friend you`re completely wrong here as they can be restored directly from the keyboard itself tried it myself so there is extra space ( uploaded an image for you to see)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 05:44:52 PM by rene1242 »
"SynthGrooves"

The following users thanked this post: ikmusic

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 04:11:00 PM »
Hi, Rene!

Derek had the right of it. This keyboards are extremely complex computers, with many different processors each with its own storage, and additionally with a very advanced tone generator, which also has its own memory. You can get an idea by looking at these two articles by Paul J. Drongowski,, http://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-genos-main-cpu/ and http://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-genos-tone-generation/. Although the articles describe the Genos, the architecture is consistent in all the arranger keyboards, and the PSR-SX line is similar.

In short, the main CPU has a LOT of non-volatile memory connected to it, which contains the operating system, the software, the styles, voice definitions, user space (the visible user drive), etc. This memory is fast enough to support the software need, but is not fast enough to serve sound samples to the sound generators. The "default" expansion data is contained in this memory, and copied as needed to the sound-generator associated non-volatile memory.

The sound generator (as far as I know, it uses the same SWP70 as the Genos) has its own, very fast (and connected on a very wide bus) non-volatile memory. This memory, which is 2GB on the PSR-SX900 (6GB on the Genos), contains only and exclusively sound samples. Part of the memory is devoted to the internal built-in content, and part to the expansion voices. When loading new expansion packs, this is the memory that gets written.

With all that said, 2GB is the limit of available sample memory on the 'SX900. Unless Yamaha was willing to delete the internal voices, or to reduce their memory usage by reducing quality, I see no way to get more than around 1GB for expansion packs. This is also consistent with this keyboard's marketing positioning: it is the next best after a Genos, so don't expect it to be on-par with the Genos at any time...

Offline rene1242

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 07:27:17 PM »
Yes i understand but the expansions are stored in the keyboard in order to be restored what if we had the ability to use that storage and instead of those packs we had the freedom to install our own
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 07:29:06 PM by rene1242 »
"SynthGrooves"

Offline Joe H

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 09:59:12 PM »
Yes i understand but the expansions are stored in the keyboard in order to be restored what if we had the ability to use that storage and instead of those packs we had the freedom to install our own

I doubt you will get your way.  Apparently there is dedicated memory where the pre-installed packs is permanently saved.  It is in ROM (Read Only Memory)  That means your idea won't work because it is NOT RAM (Random Access Memory)

I don't think it is possible to turn ROM into RAM.

Does that make sense?

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html