Author Topic: Midi a wav  (Read 6000 times)

sosayelbes

Midi a wav
« on: September 21, 2020, 08:47:47 AM »
Hi, someone has managed to convert songs created in 3k to wav or mp3 with a real sound.
I have used a few converters but the sound they create leaves a lot to be desired.
Thank you

Offline Toril S

Re: Midi a wav
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 09:29:23 AM »
You need an audio interface and a free DAW like Audacity. I have done this a lot with my PSR 2100. Connect the keyboard to the computer using an audio interface, start Audacity, play your MUDI and record it into Audacity. Save as a vaw file.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 10:01:07 AM »
You can't 'convert' midi to audio. You have to play it on a MIDI player and record it as a conventional  audio - MP3 or wav. you can do this on a mini studio recorder or as Toril says using a computer recording program like audacity which is free (or at least it used to be free?). The PSR is of course a great midi player, so an easy way is to take the sound output direct from the 3k into the computer to do this.
If recorded as a wav that can then be 'converted' to MP3.
So many people completely misunderstand midi that I think its worth a re-statement of what it is.
MIDI is only a set of complex digital commands, there is no sound. When you feed these commands into a midi player/ device, it then interprets the commands to accurately produce the intended sound on the midi player.
Think of it like this - if I give you a piece of paper with the instruction written on it ' take a hammer and hit it hard on a piece of concrete' - that piece of paper cannot produce sound. But if you follow the instruction and bash a hammer on concrete you will make a distinct sound. You are like the midi player, you have the tools to make the sound and the ability to follow the instruction.
Midi players are of varying quality, because they have to produce the sounds, and the quality comes from the sound engine and the number of voice choices available. Nearly all computers have a built in midi player, but they are usually poor quality, so your midi will not sound great on one. The keyboard is a great midi player because it has such high quality voices and sound generation. And it is exactly the voices the you intended. Most computers are good at digitally recording sound, so the computer recording software works well. But not the midi player.
Mike
Mike

Genos!

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 07:45:25 PM »
Just load it in your keyboard, hit play and record what you hear.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 09:13:50 AM by Genos! »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 07:49:43 PM »
The OP has a PSR 3000. No audio recorder if I remember correctly.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Genos!

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 08:16:36 PM »
You're probably right...

Pretty much, same difference...

General Midi has been around since when:

MIDI technology was standardized in 1983 by a panel of music industry representatives, and is maintained by the MIDI Manufacturers Association (MMA). All official MIDI standards are jointly developed and published by the MMA in Los Angeles, and the MIDI Committee of the Association of Musical Electronics Industry (AMEI) in Tokyo. In 2016, the MMA established the MIDI Association (TMA) to support a global community of people who work, play, or create with MIDI.

So load the midi file and record the output.

Note: You don't need an audio interface at all. All you need is something to record the audio. You don't need an audio interface to do it. Speaker output (keyboard) to line input into a recorder will do it, or even into a computer. Most computers have a line input.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 08:19:54 PM by Genos! »

sosayelbes

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 08:23:23 AM »
Thanks for all the comments. It was very clear. It is what this great instrument lacks, recording in audio format, but of course in its day this would not be incorporated by any keyboard.
When referring to an audio interface, I imagine it will be a cable to connect both devices. What cable would it be and what output to use, I am very lost on this issue.
A greeting
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 08:29:01 AM by sosayelbes »

Janus

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 08:47:54 AM »
Use the audio out from the keyboard to the audio in on the computer
install the free audio recorder Audacity

Gr.Jan
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 08:50:10 AM by Janus »

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 09:35:47 AM »
Hi sosayelbes,

if your Computer/Notebook has a Line Input (mostly designed as a 3.5 mm Mini Jack socket), you can use a cable with a "3.5 mm Stereo Mini Jack plug" on one side and two "6.3 mm Mono Jack plugs" on the other side:

For better/professional results you can use an external Audio Interface (which is connected to the Computer via USB):
>>> https://www.thomannmusic.com/usb_audio_interfaces.html?price-first=0&oa=pra&filter=true

Good audio interfaces come e.g. from "Focusrite":
>>> https://www.thomannmusic.com/usb_audio_interfaces.html?price-first=0&oa=pra&filter=true&manufacturer%5B%5D=Focusrite

For recording you can use a so called "DAW"software (= "Digital Audio Workstation") like "Cubase" or the free >>> "Cakewalk by Bandlab". For simple stereo recordings you can also use the free >>> "Audacity" program.

By the way: If your Computer has USB 3.0/3.1 terminals, you can use a USB 3 Interface. Otherwise you must use a USB 2.0 Interface.

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 09:38:35 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 11:32:55 AM »
I am so tired of you can't replies...

Sure you can, especially if it is General Midi !!!

Just load it in your Genos, hit play and record.
Am I the only one who sees the attitude behind this reply as a bit Smart Alec and offensive!
Mike

Janus

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 03:23:54 PM »
Most midi to audio convertors use the internal Gm or Gs midi set in the computer with simple voices
Gives a worse recording

Gr.Jan

Offline panos

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 04:25:52 PM »
Hi sosayelbes,
actually you don't want to "convert" but to "record" what your instrument is playing the exact same way as you can hear it on the instrument.

Yes, the midi can be played and converted on the pc, but your pc and neither any professional program have the exact same voices as the psr 3000 so it will re-produce the sounds differently and of course you will have the bad results you have already encounter.

So, actually you want to "record" what you hearing when you push the song(midi) play button ON the psr 3000.
First and cheapest move is to buy the cables that overover suggested.
Once you have the cables you will do a recording on your pc to see the results.
(Do you remember the double tape/cassete players we had? The 3k will be the "play" tape and the pc will do the "record" tape )

If your computer is older than your 3k maybe the results are not to your liking or maybe it is unable to even to perform a recording(which I doubt).

The easiest way to record something on your pc is to use Audacity which is a kind of a simple program.

If you want much "pro" results and much better quality because your computer is too old or for whatever reason, that is when it is better to buy also an audio interface.

In my humble opinion, start by buying just the cables and we can help you with the recording even though we are not seem to be that good in educating people about technical stuff :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 04:28:58 PM by panos »

ekurburski

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 10:01:07 PM »
Hello, and welcome to the wonderful world of using 20 year old technology to do things the newer stuff ( and much more expensive stuff) does so automatically.  I personally have came to the conclusion that this is the only real difference between the 3000 and the newer KB's.  Seems to me that a sampled sound is a sampled sound.  So, how to get to use the work-arounds?

First, besides the great sound set on our 3000's there are a couple of major advances beyond the KB's before it that you will find on most keyboards of today.  The first big item is the ability to save to a flash stick and the second is a robust MIDI implementation.  The use of the usb flash stick is pretty much straight forward but MIDI can get very complicated very quickly.  So first thing I would advise you to do is get out your manual (available by free download if you don't have one). Second read everything you can on MIDI.  and third go through the tutorials here on PSRTutorial.

Again, welcome to the possibilities available to the 3000.  I am presently working on adding vst capabilities through the keyboard or by adding a small midi controller.  Imagine, having the ability to play a DX7 and/or a B3 through the 3000 and at a cost of only a couple hundred dollars.  You are opening a whole exciting area of expansion my friend.  Have fun!

ekurburski

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 01:22:26 AM »
I didn't answer your main question..  The cable you need is a simple printer cable.  HOWEVER you more than likely will experience computer latency  and will find you will need a dedicated audio interface.  These are available for 30 40 $ up to 3-4 thousand  $.  Most of us have good results with interfaces running in the $100 range.  Sweetwater has the Fosculte Scarlette for $109/ (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ScarSG3--focusrite-scarlett-solo-3rd-gen-usb-audio-interface)

sosayelbes

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 08:45:26 AM »
Thanks everyone for your help. Now I am clear about the issue. I will start testing with an audio cable and Audacity and see if the results obtained satisfy me.
a greeting

Offline Toril S

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2020, 09:52:49 AM »
You will get better results with an audio interface. Good luck. Please let us know how it goes😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

ekurburski

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2020, 02:30:29 AM »
Like Toril says, you will get better results with an audio interface.  It's like in everything else, you get what you psy for.

Offline andyg

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2020, 06:07:55 PM »
An alternative to an external audio interface is an 'audio to USB' cable. This has the audio interface effectively built in. Plug the mono jacks into the L and R outputs of the keyboard and the USB plug into the computer/laptop. Audacity (or any other recording software) will 'see' the cable as an audio source and you'll be able to record in perfect fidelity.

By default Audacity will export audio files in WAV format, but all you need to to is download and install the LAME extension for Audacity and it will export and load mp3 files.

Something like this, though you can get them with RCA phono plugs that would plug into the 3000's line output sockets.

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/external-audio-interface/behringer-line-2-usb-audio-interface-cable
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com