Author Topic: can registrations solve this issue on a DGX-650?  (Read 4849 times)

Offline dr4sight

can registrations solve this issue on a DGX-650?
« on: September 19, 2020, 05:02:37 PM »

When I record songs on my DGX-650 I usually start with a main voice and later hit the button to add in a dual voice.

On some songs I'd like to, while playing, switch to a different main voice which on the 650 involves keying in the three-digit code for the voice I want.  On slow to medium tempo tunes there usually is time to get that done without messing up the playing of the song.

But on the most uptempo tunes there just isn't time enough to quickly key in the code and the same problem arises later in the song when I want to go back to the original voice.

I suspect that the issue could be addressed by the use of registrations.  I've watched a few YouTube instruction videos that cover the subject but notice that Yamaha seems to do registrations differently on different devices.  I am hoping I can get some guidance from someone who uses registrations on either the DGX-650 or DGX-660 (which apparently work the same when it comes to this subject).

Here's a view of the registration/memory bank area on the 650.

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZ0vn5XZB9jto0CzCph34jaW9tODtYDm5npX

I also don't tend to trust the instruction manual as a Google search shows that a number of people don't feel the instruction manuals accurately describe how to do certain things on Yamaha keyboards.  I know it took HOURS of trial and error before I could perfect a technique to record my songs.  The manual did not help at all.

So given all this am I right in assuming that using registrations I can hit just one button (or perhaps two) that will take me from one voice to another?

Can someone offer a simple step-by-step method for me to input the voices I might choose to switch to.  I think if I could have four options (at least to start) that would be great.  I'd probably opt for a strings voice,  a brass one,  an organ, and not quite sure what would be the fourth one.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Larry

SeaGtGruff

Re: can registrations solve this issue on a DGX-650?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 01:54:03 AM »
Yes, if I understand what you want to do then registrations should help.

Note, I do not have any experience with the DGX models, but the PSR-E models that I own have very similar capabilities as far as their registrations-- 8 banks of registrations, each containing 4 registrations.

Before saving any registrations, you'll probably want to think about how you want to organize them, because you'll want to be able to switch between registrations while playing using a single button whenever possible, since switching between registration banks requires additional button presses. Consequently, you don't want to have to switch to a different registration bank when timing is critical; it's better to switch the registration bank when you have a bit more time, such as between songs, or if you're able to take a short pause in your playing while the style continues to play.

To switch to a particular registration bank, push the BANK button, then use the numeric keypad or dial to select the desired registration bank number.

Once you've switched to the desired registration bank, you can save 4 registrations to it. To save a registration, hold down the BANK button (to activate its secondary function as the REGIST MEMORY button) and push the button for the desired registration, 1 through 4. The keyboard's current settings will be saved to the selected registration.

To recall a registration, all you need to do is push the appropriate registration button-- as long as you're already in the appropriate registration bank, otherwise you'll need to switch registration banks first.

Just about the only thing you need to worry about is that switching registrations will normally switch to the style-related settings that were saved in that registration, which might not be what you want to have happen. However, if you push the SONG button before you save a registration, the keyboard won't save the style-related settings to the registration. Then you'll be able to recall that registration without it changing whatevee style happens to be playing.

Offline dr4sight

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 12:05:25 PM »
Thanks for that detailed reply.

The last paragraph would be something very important for me to remember and act on.

Larry

Offline dr4sight

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 01:00:57 PM »
Michael,

I had a chance to work with the registrations and set up BANK 1.

That remark you made about pressing the SONG button was very helpful and I'm pretty sure that the user's manual for the DGX-650 never mentions that important instruction.

Thanks again.  I may now start to setting up a few more banks.

regards,
Larry

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 04:49:52 PM »
You're welcome!

The manual "sorta kinda" mentions something related to this in passing on page 47, but in a way that makes it sound more like a limitation rather than explaining how to actually use it productively:

Settings that are Saved to the Registration Memory

Style Settings*
     Style number, Auto Accompaniment on/off, Split Point, Style settings (Main A/B), Style Volume, Tempo, Chord Fingering, Smart Chord on/off, Smart Chord Setting

* Style settings are not available for Registration Memory when using the Song/Audio features.

What that's saying is that if the keyboard is in Song mode when you save a registration, none of the settings listed under "Style Settings" will be saved to the registration. (You turn on "Song mode" by pressing the SONG button so it's lit up, thereby allowing you to select a song and play it back.)

This can be seen as either a nuisance or a blessing, depending on your point of view and what you want to do.

If you want to switch styles midsong by recalling a particular registration, then you'll need to set all of the style settings as desired and be sure the keyboard is in Style mode (STYLE button lit up) before you save the registration, so the style settings will get saved and can be recalled by recalling that registration.

But if you want to be able to recall a particular registration midsong without having the various style settings change unexpectedly on you, then you'll need to put the keyboard into Song mode before you save the registration.

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 10:26:30 AM »
I am really wondering why Yamaha simply didn’t put a “Freeze” button on the DGX670 with all its bells and whistles!

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 08:16:08 PM »
Although the DGX-670 doesn't have a "dedicated" Freeze button per se, it does include the Freeze functionality; see page 62 of its Reference Manual.

The following users thanked this post: vbdx66

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 08:49:36 AM »
Thanks Michael, this can be very useful indeed.

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 10:34:53 AM »
Although the DGX-670 doesn't have a "dedicated" Freeze button per se, it does include the Freeze functionality; see page 62 of its Reference Manual.

I just looked at the Direct Access Chart in the DGX-670 Data List:

With [Direct Access] > [Bank] (or [Memory]) the "Registration Sequence" display can be called up. From here you can go to the "Freeze" display with TAB.

This may be faster than pressing [Menu] > Cursor buttons > Regist Sequence/Freeze, [ENTER] > TAB > Freeze.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 10:37:26 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)