Author Topic: Purple Styles in User section?  (Read 1692 times)

Offline jcm2016

Purple Styles in User section?
« on: December 27, 2021, 11:50:13 PM »
I came across 24 pages of styles in the User section with purple logos, starting with 12-8Ballad and ending with Zouk.   When I've used some of them, the voices don't work, as in there isn't anything there.  Like in 12-8Ballad, voices 1 and 3 show a picture of a grand piano, but no name and no sound.  I don't recall having downloaded extra styles.   Did these come with the keyboard?  Are they from an older version, like Tyros?   Should they also have come with matching sounds?   I know the shop I bought from put some things on, but I don't recall this being part of it.   I certainly don't feel like I've been through all of the preset styles, so I'm not yet itching for more!  Thanks in advance.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Purple Styles in User section?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 11:59:36 PM »
I came across 24 pages of styles in the User section with purple logos, starting with 12-8Ballad and ending with Zouk.   When I've used some of them, the voices don't work, as in there isn't anything there.  Like in 12-8Ballad, voices 1 and 3 show a picture of a grand piano, but no name and no sound.  I don't recall having downloaded extra styles.   Did these come with the keyboard?  Are they from an older version, like Tyros?   Should they also have come with matching sounds?   I know the shop I bought from put some things on, but I don't recall this being part of it.   I certainly don't feel like I've been through all of the preset styles, so I'm not yet itching for more!  Thanks in advance.

The User drive comes empty from the factory, so these styles were put there by someone else. You should check with the shop you purchased it from.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 01:55:28 PM »
These styles are probably from Packs that require the voices in those packs to work correctly. Do you have ant packs loaded in the keyboard.

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 05:11:03 PM »
Thank you both for the responses.   I've contacted the shop, so we'll see what they say.

I personally have not used the expansion manager so add any packs.  When I look in the expansion section it has the four or so region ones that I believe come standard with the SX900. 

I guess regardless of how they got there, what's with the missing voices?   Are the styles looking for a voice that isn't there?  In principle should voices have been added alongside the styles, so when the style went looking for the voice, it would find it?   Put another way, the style doesn't know to look for a similar voice that is standard with the keyboard, and when it can't find what it wants, it shows as nothing?   

Since this is my first arranger, I'm learning about adding things from prior keyboards, and how not everything plays nicely!

Thanks again.

Offline johan

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 07:10:50 PM »
My feeling is that the SX700/SX900 has some algorithm to find similar voices in a style if needed.
However:
- This does not work for voices used in expansion packs since these are programmed in a different way (different PRG/LSB/MSB scheme). So Eileen also has a good point: the voices could refer to voices of an expansion  pack.
- This automatic “revoicing” is much less sophisticated for the OTS voices (and I think you are talking about OTS voices) but this is not so important since you can still use the style without using the OTS
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463