Author Topic: Cubase Patch Script for PSR SX900  (Read 9298 times)

Cubase Patch Script for PSR SX900
« on: September 17, 2020, 05:25:11 PM »
Hello there,

I'm a new PSR SX900 owner, and a Cubase Pro 10.5 user. While browsing for patch scripts in Cubase, I noticed that the most recent model they added a patch script for is PSR S970. While Yamaha offers an official patch script for the Genos on their website (and it is also already included on Cubase), I don't see any for the PSR SX900. It looks like Yamaha / Steinberg didn't do their homework yet.

I checked the PSR S970 data list and can see that plenty of new sounds were added to the PSR SX900, so that would require some work if I wanted to make a new patch script starting from that one. Otherwise, I could use the patch script for the Genos and strip it down, but it still is a lot of work since there are a lot of extra sounds and the whole S.Art2 category to remove.

Before investing the time on it, does anyone already have a patch script for PSR SX900? Or, in your opinion, what could be the best starting point to make one?

Many thanks
MIDI and retro game music addicted. Yamaha PSR SX900, Yamaha QY100, Yamaha MU1000-Ex, Roland Sound Canvas SC88 Pro, Edirol SD90, Korg NS5r

Offline overover

Re: Cubase Patch Script for PSR SX900
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 07:01:46 PM »
Hi themiditamer,

if you work yourself to create a Cubase Patchname Script for the SX900, the attached Excel files (.xlsx) that I created/saved with the "Midifile Optimizer XI" (by Midiland.de) could help you. (If you need the original Text files (.txt), just get in touch again.)

It should be noted that the "sound" of many Preset Voices also depends on the respective effects (reverb, chorus and insert effect blocks). It is NOT enough to just select a Voice via Bank Select MSB, LSB and ProgramChange, the associated Voice Set must also be used.

I therefore do not consider a Patchname Script in Cubase to be absolutely necessary for a specific instrument. It is recommended to first record a MIDI file (with the desired Voices) directly on the keyboard (if necessary, this can also be just a short passage). Then save the file and import it into Cubase. So you have all "sound-relevant" information in Cubase. Note that some of the Effect SysEx used here are CHANNEL RELATED.

If you are looking for a relatively easy-to-use but professional solution, I recommend you (in addition to Cubase) to use the "Midifile Optimizer XI" (available for PC/Windows and Mac computers). In Germany the program costs 200 euros. The current version is V11.2.1.13971 (from 07/25/2020). You can download the DEMO version (saving deactivated) here:
>>> https://www.midiland.de/de/OptimizerXI_DLdemo.htm

When revoicing MIDI files with the "Optimizer", the complete Voice Set of the Preset Voices is automatically applied (including Effects / DSPs, Part EQs, etc.). You also have direct access to all DSPs, Part EQs, and much more via the graphical user interface. There is also a "drum splitter". This allows you to distribute the drums to up to three channels (e.g. to work with several different drum kits). Also all needed SysEx are automatically inserted correctly.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 05:43:11 PM »
Thanks Chris, wow that helped A LOT ;D

I made a first version of the patch script, based both on the PSR-S970 script already found in Cubase (tried to follow the same categorization and order) and your data list. Unfortunately, it seems that your list follows the alphabetical order, rather than following the voice order, but I think it's totally acceptable. Also, the Drum Kits seem to be missing, so I included those already in the PSR-S970 script, and I will complete it with all the PSR-SX900 Drum Kits later, I have to check if there are Legacy Drum Kits too.

Also, I included the GM2 and XG voices from the PSR-S970 script, since they were already well categorized.

I'm testing it right now, and everything seems working fine! I will upload it somewhere as soon as I have a 100% complete patch script.
MIDI and retro game music addicted. Yamaha PSR SX900, Yamaha QY100, Yamaha MU1000-Ex, Roland Sound Canvas SC88 Pro, Edirol SD90, Korg NS5r

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 05:49:54 PM »
About the voice effects settings, yeah I totally understand what you mean.

At the moment, I want to use the PSR-SX900 just as an external module, using the 16 Song channels. I noticed there are 8 insertion effect available, I still have to figure out how to activate them (it seems that clicking on a empty slot and assigning it to a Song channel does nothing) and if it is possible to enable the right effect settings to each voice, for example if the voice is called "SuitcasePhaser", it should have its associated effects (phaser).

If that can't be done, it's not big deal, I will add custom effects to the bounced audio track later, at mixing stage in Cubase.

P.S.: thanks for letting me know about Midifile Optimizer XI, I'll check that out.

kampot

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 02:20:58 AM »
wow thank you so much!!

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 09:00:45 AM »
Hey there,

for those interested, here's my Cubase Patch Script for the PSR-SX900: PSR-SX900 Patch Script v.1.0

It does include:

• Panel voices
  • Legacy voices
  • Drum kits
  • Legacy Drum kits
  • GM2 voices
  • GM & XG voices

It doesn't include (yet) the voices from the preinstalled expansion packs (African, Europe, Latin, Oriental). I will probably post an updated version soon, when I'll have some spare time.

The following users thanked this post: ton37, balcino, bhergar56

Offline ton37

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 09:46:48 AM »
Hi @themiditamer, that's a welcome patch. Thank you for your efforts and sharing. I appreciate!
My best regards,
Ton

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 02:16:16 PM »
Hello,

bumping this thread to let everyone know that I finally added the missing preinstalled expansion packs (African, Europe, Latin, Oriental) to my Cubase Patch Script for the PSR-SX900.

Download link:
PSR-SX900 Patch Script v.1.5

This 1.5 version does include:

• Panel voices
  • Legacy voices
  • Drum kits
  • Legacy Drum kits
  • Expansion Packs NEW!
  • GM2 voices
  • GM & XG voices

Hope that is helpful. Cheers
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 09:05:31 AM by themiditamer »

The following users thanked this post: hans1966, overover, balcino, Iurcuyo

Online Joe H

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 04:53:41 AM »
Hello there,

... While browsing for patch scripts in Cubase, I noticed that the most recent model they added a patch script for is PSR S970...

Where can I get the Cubase patch list for the S970?

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 08:15:07 AM »
Where can I get the Cubase patch list for the S970?

Joe H

Hi Joe,

I found a Cubase Patchname script (.txt) for PSR-S970 (created by Yamaha) on my PC hard disk at the following path:

C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase LE AI Elements 9\Scripts\patchnames\inactive\yamaha\

You can download this file here from my Dropbox:
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/ff3lg88j5l417av/Yamaha%20PSR-S970.zip?dl=0

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

The following users thanked this post: andyg, balcino

Online Joe H

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 03:21:11 PM »
Chris,

Got it. Thank you very much, I really appreciate it!

Cheers,
Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 04:16:55 PM »
Chris,

Got it. Thank you very much, I really appreciate it!

Cheers,
Joe H

Thanks for your kind feedback, Joe! :) :)

Best regards,
Chris

BillErickson

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2021, 02:02:16 AM »
Hey guys,  I stumbled across this older topic while investigating a recent Cubase question.

Anybody know of the availability of a similar Cubase Patch Script but for the PSR SX700?

How much trouble would it be to edit the SX900 script to work on the SX700?

Thanks for any feedback!

Offline andyg

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2021, 12:14:53 PM »
Thank, overover, for the 970 script, that saved me some typing!

FWIW, I record everything from the keyboards completely dry and add all the FX in Cubase. I have a lot more options to play with, and 'mind changing' in mid-mix is not a problem!
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline Drsun19

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2022, 01:31:06 AM »
Did you do it by hand? I have several expansion packs with many voices but i wonder whether there is a solution to do it fast.

I have them in .txt but in a different format.

Thank you.

Hello,

bumping this thread to let everyone know that I finally added the missing preinstalled expansion packs (African, Europe, Latin, Oriental) to my Cubase Patch Script for the PSR-SX900.

Download link:
PSR-SX900 Patch Script v.1.5

This 1.5 version does include:

• Panel voices
  • Legacy voices
  • Drum kits
  • Legacy Drum kits
  • Expansion Packs NEW!
  • GM2 voices
  • GM & XG voices

Hope that is helpful. Cheers
Genos, Montage 7, Alesis Vortex Wireless 2, IMac 32Gb RAM, Lenovo Legion i7, Yamaha DXR 12, Cubase 10.5, Sample Robot, Style Magic YA, Keyscape, Omnisphere.

Offline cahnon

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2023, 08:44:11 AM »
Thank you for the work with the sx 900 Patch. Im in a similar situation now, trying to Set up his sx 700 in cubase. Is there already a Patch for this one out here? Or should i use the sx 900 Patch and try to delete Lines until i sorted out the sounds that the 700 does not have?

Offline yogi62

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2023, 08:00:04 PM »
Hi Guys,

I downloaded the script and placed it into the following folder:

C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 12\Scripts\patchnames\inactive\yamaha

Unfortunately it does not appear in the midi device setup script list in Cubase 12, anyone got it to work in Pro 12?

Update:
For anyone having the same issue the correct location for Cubase 12 is:
'user'/name/appdata/roaming/Steinberg/cubase12_64/scripts/patchnames/inactive/yamaha
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 08:43:36 PM by yogi62 »