Author Topic: Forum notifications have stopped working  (Read 4456 times)

Forum notifications have stopped working
« on: September 17, 2020, 01:01:52 PM »
Hi folks,

As my Subject line states, my forum notifications have stopped working. Sorry to ask this on a Genos forum but the Simple Machines Help file is basically a joke and provides no way of asking the question.

I'm specifically referring to the Shiny spots topic. I have posted replies there but when new replies are posted by other members nothing shows up in my email. I have unnotified myself from a few other posts but I assume those actions are specific and not global. Yesterday, I went in and resaved my Preferences. Something's wrong.

Thanks for any help.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Senn5

Re: Forum notifications have stopped working
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 02:50:58 PM »
I found mine was throwing all notiifiactions to SPAM on my email client.

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 08:30:52 PM »
Thanks, Senn5. I check my Junk folder often. There's been nothing in it from this forum. This has only started. Perhaps the MS browser, Edge is causing the issue? MS products are full of trap doors.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 08:32:57 PM »
I'm responding once again, this time using Chrome. Let's see if I get an email after the next reply is posted. I'll keep everyone posted.

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 12:48:32 PM »
I use the Edge browser in other forums such as Steinberg's Cubase forum. I am notified by email of any replies. I believe this forum's notifications don't work with Edge.

Is anyone else out there using Edge but still receiving email notifications from this forum? I'm certainly not!

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 02:18:07 PM »
... I check my Junk folder often. There's been nothing in it from this forum. This has only started. Perhaps the MS browser, Edge is causing the issue? MS products are full of trap doors.

Hi Lee,

are you talking about the (local) "Junk" folder of an email program like Thunderbird or Outlook? Did you already check the Spam/Junk folder of your email account when you was logged in directly via a BROWSER?

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 09:12:24 PM »
Hi Chris,

I checked my browser side email and there is nothing in its Junk folder either. Thanks for the thought.

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 03:50:49 PM »
When someone has a quick moment, would you please type a brief response to this comment? I may have my problem solved. I'll share it if it is solved. Thanks :)!

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 03:52:02 PM »
When someone has a quick moment, would you please type a brief response to this comment? I may have my problem solved. I'll share it if it is solved. Thanks :)!

Responding.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2020, 07:24:42 PM »
Thanks, Fred.

Nuts! Still not working. I give up. I think there may be something wrong with this site or the servers between it and my email.

A while back, I "unnotified" myself from two posts. I wonder if that move somehow went global.

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 12:41:27 AM »
Hi again, everyone. Would someone please post a simple reply to this post? I'm trying one more thing to see if I can restore notifications. Thanks and sorry for such an "off-topic" discussion. Best...

- Lee

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 01:04:22 AM »
Hi again, everyone. Would someone please post a simple reply to this post? I'm trying one more thing to see if I can restore notifications. Thanks and sorry for such an "off-topic" discussion. Best...

- Lee

Hi Lee,

if not already done so, I recommend to delete Browser Cache  and Cookies. Then log into the forum again.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 01:19:28 AM »
Thanks, Chris. I did that and about 10 other ideas. Roger is working the midnight oil with me on this. As soon as we find out the cause, we'll likely post it in case someone else goes through the same issue.

Offline overover

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 01:23:38 AM »
Thanks, Chris. I did that and about 10 other ideas. Roger is working the midnight oil with me on this. As soon as we find out the cause, we'll likely post it in case someone else goes through the same issue.

Hi Lee,

thanks for the quick feedback!

The only thing I can think of at the moment would be to temporarily enter a different e-mail address in your forum profile (preferably an address from a different e-mail provider) ...

Best regards,
Chris

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 01:32:22 AM »
Very intuitive, Chris. We're in the process of doing just that.

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 07:41:53 PM »
Here I go again. I'm trying one more thing to see if email notifications can be restored. Would someone please post a reply here?

Sorry to be such a bother. I think we all have Microsoft to thank for this mess.

Many thanks!!

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2020, 07:50:01 PM »
Here I go again. I'm trying one more thing to see if email notifications can be restored. Would someone please post a reply here?

Sorry to be such a bother. I think we all have Microsoft to thank for this mess.

Many thanks!!

OK. Here's a reply.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2020, 07:51:39 PM »
Thanks, again Fred!

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2020, 07:53:56 PM »

Many thanks!!

I'll reply here this time too, even though I've been following this topic and helping you through this issue, Lee.  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2020, 09:16:23 PM »
Thanks, Roger. It's still not working. I think Outlook 2019 is the issue, perhaps at their server level. I'm continuing my research.

Just for info sake, the name I added to the Safe Sender and Domain list in Outlook 2019 is "psrtutorial.com". It's the only name it would accept. Joe's email address is in there too.

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2020, 11:25:08 PM »
Since I'm running an older version of Outlook, which is working okay, I believe the issue is with newer versions of Outlook.  If you want to receive email notifications from the forum, it would appear you'll need to use your alternate email address.  I'm still working outside.  I only came inside to see if I had any messages from you.  I'm going back outside now, but when I come back in I will look for your email address change and activate your forum account once again.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2020, 04:22:30 PM »
I suspect the Outlook.com spam filter has entered this site or Joe Water's email address in as spam, at least on the server to which I'm connected. There must be other Outlook 2019 users who are not having this problem. I'd love to hear from you.