Author Topic: How to find the voice assignments a keyboard (PSR SX700) makes from a midi file  (Read 4387 times)

PSRTom

Hey Guys,

I just got my first keyboard and after searching the manual, there is one question for which I cannot find the answer.
How to find the voice assignments that a keyboard (PSR SX700) makes from a midi file for each instrument

Janus

display the voices with numbers you can select it  in your keyboard menu
it display the voice name and the numbers below Lsb  msb and  program change
Use those numbers to make a midi commando to select a voice
Add in the tracks in the midi files lsb  with the number on your keyboard display
the same with msb en program change

Offline overover

Hey Guys,

I just got my first keyboard and after searching the manual, there is one question for which I cannot find the answer.
How to find the voice assignments that a keyboard (PSR SX700) makes from a midi file for each instrument

Hi PSRTom,

welcome to the Psrtutorial Forum!

To find out the setting details a MIDI file makes for the Song Channels (1 - 16), you have several options.

For example, you can call up the Mixer (Tab "Song"). There you will find the used Voice for each Song Channel (touch the relevant Icon in the upper line). You can also go through the tabs Filter, EQ, Effect, Chorus/Reverb and Pan/Volume to find out the current parameters for each Channel.

There are also some computer programs to do this. I recommend you to download the Demo version of the "Midiland Optimizer XI (available for Windows and Mac computers):
>>> https://www.midiland.de/de/OptimizerXI_DLdemo.htm

Important: When you have installed the "Optimizer XI Demo", go to "Settings > MIDI" and select the PSR-SX900 as "Instrument" at "MIDI Output". (The SX700 has not yet been implemented.)

Note: If you are on a Windows Computer, you should install the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver on your computer (downloadable from the SX700 download site):
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx700/downloads.html#product-tabs

Use a standard USB type AB cable ("printer cable") to connect the USB-to-Host terminal of the SX700 to a USB terminal of the computer.

P.S.
To display the Voice Numbers (in the format "#MSB-LSB-PRG"), press "Menu" in the Voice Selection display and set "Voice Number" to "Show". See also the picture posted by "ckobu" here:
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,56719.msg441350.html#msg441350

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 09:52:14 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

PSRTom

Hi Guys,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Problem:  When I go to Mixer:Songs, Depress a music icon for a song number, it gives me a generic name, e.g. Piano 1 or Honkytonk.  This does not tell me the specific PSR SX700 keyboard Voice name that is assigned to the  Midi by the keyboard.  It is just a generic designation, like you see when you read a Midi file.

Any thoughts?
Thanks for your consideration,
Tom

Offline EileenL

A lot of Midi Files unless recorded on the keyboard you have, will contain General Midi voices because they are general to most makes of keyboard. What do you want to use this information for.

Offline overover

Hi Guys,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Problem:  When I go to Mixer:Songs, Depress a music icon for a song number, it gives me a generic name, e.g. Piano 1 or Honkytonk.  This does not tell me the specific PSR SX700 keyboard Voice name that is assigned to the  Midi by the keyboard.  It is just a generic designation, like you see when you read a Midi file.

Any thoughts?
Thanks for your consideration,
Tom

Hi Tom,

these are NOT "generic" Voice names, but these ARE the Voices that were programmed in the MIDI file. (In some cases, if a programmed Voice of a MIDI file is not present in the used keyboard, the Voice is automatically replaced by another Voice that is as similar as possible. But the Voice that is displayed when you press the Voice icon in the Mixer is always the Voice that you hear.)

Please always take a look on the Voice-PATH (in the lower left corner of the Voice Selection display): When a PANEL Voice is selected, you will see a path like "Preset:/Piano&E.Piano/". This means you are in the Preset Panel Voice folder "Piano&E.Piano".

But there are also additional Voice folders like "Legacy" and "GM&XG". In many cases, commercial MIDI files use GM and XG Voices. Then the Voice Path should look like this: "Preset:/GM&XG/Piano/" (for an GM/XG Piano Voice)

When you call up Voice Selection display from the Mixer (Song tab), you should can access the GM&XG Voice folder as follows: When you are in the Preset tab, press the "UP" arrow in the lower right corner (repeatedly if needed), then go to Page 2. Here you should see the "Legacy" Voice folder and also the "GM&XG" Voice folder.

Note: The GM&XG Voice folder cannot be displayed in the Voice Selection display for the Keyboard Parts (Right 1 - 3, Left) on Genos and SX models. But you can still use those Voices: Use the download link previously provided by Eileen here:
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,56679.msg441186.html#msg441186

Download that zip file an unzip it on your computer. Then copy the "GM&XG" folder to an USB stick, and if desired copy it also into your User drive (using the Voice Selection display).

P.S.
The GM&XG Voices are NOT listed in the SX900/700 or Genos Data Lists. But you can use e.g. the Tyros5 Data List. Download it, and on the pages 10 - 14 you will find alle the GM&XG Voices (that are also in your SX900 of course):
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/5/959965/tyros5_en_dl_d0.pdf

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 09:38:40 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: balcino

Offline hossit

display the voices with numbers you can select it  in your keyboard menu
it display the voice name and the numbers below Lsb  msb and  program change
Use those numbers to make a midi commando to select a voice
Add in the tracks in the midi files lsb  with the number on your keyboard display
the same with msb en program change
there is no option to view in menu

Offline BogdanH

there is no option to view in menu
When you're in voice selection, touch the "Menu" icon on (top-right) display and change "Voice number" from Hide to Show.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline pjd

I often use Michael Bedesem's StyleDump program when looking at the contents of a MIDI file. The information is rather low-level (you won't find readable voice names), but the info is complete. Even tho' it's called "StyleDump", it dumps any MIDI file, not just styles.

[Styles are Standard MIDI Files in disguise.]

-- pj

madirv

Hi everyone,
Ive been following this post with interest ---although not a great deal of understanding unfortunately  :-\ :-\ but I think I have a similar question to PSR Tom.
I bought some USB sticks a while ago which contained midi files and style files.  I played the midi files and then tried to set up voices which sounded similar but  used guesswork and my preferred instruments.  Reading this post it appears that the voices can actually be identified on the menu screen.
So----this afternoon I have just played one piece about 3000 times  (give or take!!!) and tried to identify the instruments.  I followed Chris's post--the first part about channels 1-16 ( the remainder is sadly above my paygrade !!!) and made a little progress, whilst gaining a very stiff neck in the process, but am confused as there are 16 channels but I only have 3 RH voices.
I am assuming therefore that the 16 channels covers all the instruments used in both the style the voices and the multi pads etc .  I tried to isolate the instruments by repeatedly playing the midi and watching the flashing lights and although i have found 3 pretty good voices to match the piece I wonder if I am making a complete hash of this or if I have misunderstood the whole post!!!
I am not trying to record anything into a multi pad or anything so complicated---just to identify the voices.
Sorry its a long post but was trying to make myself clear :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Many thanks
Irene

Offline BogdanH

hi Irene,
Yes, that stuff with channels can be complicated.. and I admit, that after a lot of reading and "studying" style files, I'm also sometimes tapping in dark. Some here might suggest you to download MixMaster (available in this forum) -it's a tool that can read/edit all kind of midi files. It will show you everything.. but it's a rabbit hole.. you could end in asylum  ::)
Keep it simple. In general, channels 1-8 are used for panel voices (L, R1, etc.) and channels 9-16 are used for style voices (Rhy1,Rhy2,Bass, etc.).
Identifying voices in styles can be tricky sometimes (especially for styles made by Yamaha). The thing is, a style can use more than one voice in a channel. By examining style, we can see default (starting) voice for each channel (for example, for Chord1 some guitar is used). But when style is actually playing, voice in Chord1 can change -sometimes you can see that voice icon is quickly changing.
For "simple" styles usually only one voice is used per channel and that makes it easy to identify. Press Mixer button and choose Style section: for example, tap on Chord1 icon and voice selector will open, showing you which voice is used for Chord1.

In case "unknown" style is used, here can be a problem: style can use voices which your keyboard doesn't have. In this case keyboard will automatically choose "the best match" voice (or sometimes "no voice"). How can you know if keyboard is using "the right" voice? Just by looking on keyboard.. you just can't know that. Means, you can not know if style is sounding as intended. However, by using right PC app, you can find out what voices style actually needs.
-if that's what makes you trouble, then PM me.

Bogdan

madirv

Bogdan--that is brilliant and thank you so much for that.   This does answer my question and I think I was on the right track but its not possible to do exactly what I wanted.  You are quite right --- I wouldn't want to download that tool which would undoubtedly bring madness into my life and in either event I use a chromebook and these programs are used for windows or Mac.  I have a windows PC but its slow and temperamental!!!!
The info is useful though and I can get some good info by using channels 1 to 8 therefore to help with the instruments that aren't obvious to my ear.
What I did was play the midi and watch when a light was flashing then pressed the icon which told me what that instrument was.  I then wrote them down, as had to keep repeating this process, and found 4 "voices".  Did a bit of juggling with the volumes etc but managed to get a reasonable likeness to the sound of the midi.  ----  Only took several hours  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D!!!!!!

Ive sent you a PM
Many thank and cheers
Irene

Offline BogdanH

I'm glad being of some help, Irene (see PM)

Bogdan