Author Topic: Change tones in accompaniment styles  (Read 3647 times)

Offline PSRPETE

Change tones in accompaniment styles
« on: September 13, 2020, 08:07:53 AM »
Hello,
Is it possible to change accompaniment tones/instruments for styles and SMF’s on the the PSR 8000?  It can be done on the PSR 530/630/730 quite easily via the front panel revoicing feature.  I was reading an article about how do it the Tyros series and Genos keyboards and it would make sense that you can do that with the 8000, but I can’t figure out how to do it.  Thx for your help.  If it’s not possible, 🤦🏾‍♂️.
Thx for any help you can give me.
Pete
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 08:09:41 AM by PSRPETE »
Pete

Gear:  🎹:  Yamaha DGX-670W, PSR 8000, PSR 730, PSR 530; Arturia Keylab Essential 88; Casio MZX500, WK 500; Technics SX KN6500. DAW’s:  GarageBand, Cakewalk by Bandlab.  Gibson Epiphone 🎸 &  an alto 🎷.

Offline mikf

Re: Change tones in accompaniment styles
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 02:02:05 PM »
I think you mean 'change voice on a style part'. The PSR 8000 is a pretty old keyboard and I never owned one, but I would imagine you can do this on the mixer screen like other arrangers. Select the mixer, then select style and you will see all the style parts and their voices and volumes. Select the voice you want to change and you will go to the voice selector screen, where you and select a different voice.
This voice will revert back to the original though unless you save the style as a new style using style creator. 
Mike

The following users thanked this post: PSRPETE

Offline PSRPETE

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 10:37:22 PM »
Hey Mike,
Thx.  I will try that.  I hope it works.  It’s an old board, but it still sounds great!
Pete
Pete

Gear:  🎹:  Yamaha DGX-670W, PSR 8000, PSR 730, PSR 530; Arturia Keylab Essential 88; Casio MZX500, WK 500; Technics SX KN6500. DAW’s:  GarageBand, Cakewalk by Bandlab.  Gibson Epiphone 🎸 &  an alto 🎷.

Offline PSRPETE

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 10:44:04 PM »
It doesn’t seem to do it.
Pete
Pete

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 11:59:36 PM »
Pete- Unfortunately I cannot try this myself or give you detailed instructions as I do not have, and never did have, this keyboard. But be sure that you are opening up the style channels on the mixer. The top level of the mixer shows accompaniment as a single entity that can be adjusted. But you can usually also open up all the style channels on the mixer. You should then see the setting of each part, including the voice. When you select that choice it lets you change it. 
Maybe this just doesn't work on the 8000, but it would surprise me. We need someone else with an older keyboard, or who remembers the 8000 and similar PSRs to chip in here. 
Mike 

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 12:20:46 AM »
Hi Pete,

i looked into the PSR-8000 Manual: Obviously, in the Mixer the Voices of the Style Parts are NOT displayed (and can NOT changed there).

In the Style Creator (starting with page 62 in the Manual) there is an option to "record" a different Voice for a given Style Part (in the "Part Record" display). But this may be not as easy to do ...

I recommend to use a PC program for revoicing Style Parts in your case. You could try for example:

MixMaster (by Etienne Volbragt) >>> https://psrtutorial.com/MB/mixMaster.html

Style Revoicer (by Jørgen Sørensen) >>> http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/revsty/index.htm

Note: To run "Style Revoicer" the "Java Runtime Environment" ("JRE") Version 8 must be installed. (See the hints on the product site.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 12:23:56 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: PSRPETE

Offline PSRPETE

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 03:57:31 AM »
Hey Chris,
Yeah I grabbed my manual and looked it up too. I found out just what you did. You can do it but it’s convoluted and it either has to be saved as a new style creation or a groove style, which is really just a fast and dirty way of changing dynamics, adding swing and/or accentuation, swapping out drum kits/percussion so as to give the styles a different groove. The only problem with both of those methods is that they have to be saved and it’s not something you can do on the fly like you can on the PSR-730. That keyboard as well as the PSR 530, and 630 have revoice buttons that let you do it. I know the 8000 doesn’t have a re-voice button but I thought that there was a way to do it in the mixer that I was overlooking. But it can’t be done that way. I don’t understand the rationale of Yamaha to have that feature on less expensive keyboards and then to omit it (almost entirely) on a more expensive model like the PSR 8000. Go figure. Thx for your help Chris and Mike.
Pete
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 04:02:29 AM by PSRPETE »
Pete

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 10:41:19 AM »
Pete - I agree with you on the odd nature of some omissions by Yamaha. You would almost think it would be easier to leave it in than change it. We recently discussed the same thing about not having MP3 conversion on some keyboards, yet on others.
I wonder sometimes if these things are not well thought out strategic decisions at all - but just things that slip through the cracks.
Mike